This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going back to school

I have the opportunity to go back to school and i am jumping on it. I am going for my AAT in Web Development and then going for my Bachelors.

For the transfer I have to take Algebra. And I have take the test to place into the class. I haven't had a math class for 20 years. How do I learn this again?

I am looking at getting the dummies book/workbook to start with but do you guys have any ideas?

Also tips and tricks for working full time and going to school would be great. I am terrified.
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Khan Academy would probably be a big help. I would also Google around and see if you can find Algebra tutorials.

Are you taking classes online? That's what I'm doing. If you're not, my advice is to purposefully set aside some time every day (in the morning before work, or after class, or at night) to study and do your work. Use weekends for this stuff, too, but make sure you give yourself some "you" time.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Thanks. I will look into Khan Academy, you are the second person to mention them.

I will be doing both. My husband is going back to so we are going probably going to set a schedule for both of us.

I believe the only me time I am getting is Seattle Sounders (soccer) games, thank gord for our season tickets.
      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post
        I will be doing both. My husband is going back to so we are going probably going to set a schedule for both of us.
        As someone who is taking courses online, I can tell you that taking as many courses online as you can will have it's pros and cons. The biggest pro is that it's on "your" schedule, so you study at your convenience, as long as you get your assignments in on time, and take the tests when assigned. You have to stay diligent. One of the big cons to it is that you can't just raise your hand and ask a question.

I think you may find Khan Academy (http://www.khanacademy.org/) immensely helpful. Do you have your books already? What level of Algebra are you taking? If you've been out of school for a while, it might be college Algebra I or college Algebra II.

There are probably many, many other sites that you could use. Some even have step-by-step solutions. Also, try Purple Math (http://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm) for a ton of different examples.

Best of luck!

Comment

it looks like it is Algebra I. I am probably getting the books this weekend. But i have started going through Khan Academy.

Luckily I work from home, so I can do homework at lunch and what not. I haven't deceided if I want to take math online or not. I am not starting until March so I have some time to plan. And take the stupid test

Comment

Khan Academy and Purple Math would probably be the way to go. Watch the videos on Khan Academy, and work some of the step-by-step examples on Purple Math to get back in the groove.

I myself have a calculus final tomorrow.

Best of luck!

Comment

Feel free to PM me if you need any help. I had to take college algebra after not having done math in 15 years and managed to make an A. So, it IS possible to do! My best advice is to do practice problems until you can practically do them in your sleep. You cannot practice math too much.
              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

It sounds like you have had algebra before - correct? IMO as a returning student myself - my advice is to take online the math classes that you have taken before (even if it was a long time ago) because it is like riding a bike - it will all come back to you. Other classes such as biz math and accounting are much easier as an in class experience. I highly recommend study groups for those type of classes - I arranged my own "un-official" ones and it was very helpful.
                As for working full time and going back to school: schedule and prioritize. Most teachers will give the full list of assignments the first day of class - work ahead if you can to keep "out from under it".
                Also, use the school's resource center if you need to.

Comment

I teach writing, not math, but I do teach online and my students are generally adults who are balancing work and family with school. If I can help you, send me a PM.

Some general time management advice:

1. Set aside specific times to do your school work. Practice and study as you go along; cramming doesn't actually work.

2. Rule of thumb is: Take the number of credits for the class, multiply that number by two, and spend that number of hours working on that class per day. For a three credit class, that's 42 hours a week. You don't have to take that literally, but it's a helpful way to think about the amount of time you might need to devote to your classes.

3. Set mini-deadlines for yourself. If you know you have a test in 4 weeks, you could set deadlines of: By Week 1, I'll be able to do the work in Section 1, by Week 2, Section 2, etc.

4. Get started on your assignments early in the week. Expect for the unexpected to happen and have back up plans (other computers/internet you can use, for example).

5. Email your work to yourself. That way you can access it from any computer with internet.

6. Take notes. The SQ3R method is especially helpful. http://www.studygs.net/texred2.htm

7. Ask questions! Never be afraid to ask questions. The trick is to be as specific of possible. "I don't get it" isn't helpful. "I was working on problem 45 and did this, but I can't get to the next step" is.

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you guys so much!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X