This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock, Paper, Scissors!!!

While this happened while I was at work today, it happened to a co-worker, hence being in sightings.

The cast:

Cust 1: 20-something guy
    Cust2: other 20-something guy
    CW: co-worker

Two 20-something guys came in and brought a bottle of Cpt. Morgan rum up to my co-worker's till. After she rang them up and told the total, they were kind of jostling themselves each trying to hand her their credit card,

Cust 1: "Its my turn to pay"
    Cust 2: "No you paid last time, its my turn"
    Cust 1: "I'm sure you're remembering wrong. I'm positive its my turn"
    Cust 2: "No I remember correctly - you bought the bottle last week ,bud."
    Cust 1: (holding out credit card to my co-worker) "Look, just put it on my card"
    Cust 2: (batting his hand away) "Oh no you don't- that's going on MY card!"
    Cust 1: "I don't suppose we can arm wrestle in a liquor store?" (looking at co-worker)
    CW: "How about Rock/Paper/Scissors?"
    Both: "GREAT IDEA!!!"

And so, much to our amusement they have a quick game of R/P/S, with Cust 1 winning, after which he was met by applause from myself, CW, our boss, and a few other customers who had been watching with amused and bemused looks. Cust 1 took a bow and paid.

On another interesting note, I sold a $98 bottle of Johnnie Walker Platinum Label whiskey, and a $130 bottle of 2006 Dom Perignon today, the Dom being the most expensive product we sell in the store. I also had a couple purchase $500 worth of wine and spirits, easily the most expensive non-commercial/licensee transaction I've made. I've come to the conclusion after watching my customers, that there are a heckuva lot of well-stocked home bars in this town...

A very inventive solution! I had something similar happen but I took the guy's credit card and explained to the girl, "He's got a longer reach" (He actually was holding his card closer to me than she was holding hers.)

Congrats on the sales!

Comment

Canadians?

Canadians will get into arguments by holding doors open for each other...

"You go first."
      "No, you can go ahead."
      "I said you go!"
      "No, YOU go!"

It's the only place I know of where you can walk away pissed because someone did something nice for you before you could do something nice for them.
      "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
        Canadians?

Canadians will get into arguments by holding doors open for each other...

"You go first."
        "No, you can go ahead."
        "I said you go!"
        "No, YOU go!"

It's the only place I know of where you can walk away pissed because someone did something nice for you before you could do something nice for them.
        I saw a cartoon that called that a "Canadian Standoff"

I think these two were locals, but we are close enough to the border that we get visiting Canadians in. Love their accents, and one couple showed me some of their plastic money that has clear spots that you can see through. Very cool!

Comment

I have seen several notes in reservations that say something along the lines of "If Mr. X tries to pay for the room, do not let him per Mrs. Y, as the room is a gift." Only once have I had a couple get into an argument over it at check-out, though. The wife's mother had authorized her card to pay for the room charges as a gift, and the husband wanted to pay. The wife was adamant that her mother would be insulted if he paid. I ended up siding with the wife on that one.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Just going to drop this right here....

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
              A very inventive solution! I had something similar happen but I took the guy's credit card and explained to the girl, "He's got a longer reach" (He actually was holding his card closer to me than she was holding hers.)

Congrats on the sales!
              While at the Litter Box, the customer swipes their own card, I've had the occasion to run into this with customers who were paying cash.

So it would be a case of whoever handed me money first. To which I'll tell them "Got this one first, so I'll go with that."

But next time should I encounter that, I'll suggest the Rock/Paper/Scissors. Might get a laugh (as if I don't cause enough already and I'm mostly in the back room.)
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I get this more than I'd ever have expected, and it always amuses me the lengths people go to to prevent their "opponents" from paying.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                  I get this more than I'd ever have expected, and it always amuses me the lengths people go to to prevent their "opponents" from paying.
                  I never found it funny, it always annoyed the hell out of me. I just want them to pay so I can help the next customer in line. I don't have time to play referee to grown adults acting like kindergartners.
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Yeah, we get that somewhat frequently. I don't know if it's a retail thing, or a liquor thing, but there's something hilarious about people arguing over who gets to pay. I usually put out my hand, cover my eyes, and say "I don't care, someone give me payment!" Which cracks everyone up.

(Geez, $500? I guess I do work in the expensive store... we put through a $2K order on Sunday that was just to help stock the wine for a single party... the liquor will be another $1K... and that's not the most expensive order I've rung in the last week!)

Comment

I see this often on the road. A month or so ago, I was waiting for the bus just past a 4-way intersection. The bus, a taxi, and another car reached it all at the same time, and they got into a 3-way polite-off over who would let the other go first. (I think the bus technically had the right of way, but she knew she was stopping just past the intersection and the taxi was signalling to turn in the same direction or something). It only took a few seconds before the polite-off broke, but I was grinning about it.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                        The bus, a taxi, and another car reached it all at the same time, and they got into a 3-way polite-off over who would let the other go first.
                        I'm just going to leave this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaXMTtykHfE
                        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                        X