This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friendly Neighborly Relations

So we recently had new neighbors move in. And....loud bass vibrating my walls. Oh joy.

Hubs asked him to turn it down once without incident. But yesterday, after four hours, I decided I'd had enough. I mean it's not late at night or nothing, but still. Come on.

So I went over and knocked on the door. I'd never even seen them before. A little girl about four or five answered the door, with her father coming up close behind her.

Me: "Hi, yeah, listen, I was wondering if you could please turn it down? It's vibrating my walls, and I'm trying to study and my husband is trying to sleep."
    SN (sucky neighbor): "You listen! I live here and I can do whatever the fuck I want! I just started playing this music a minute ago!"
    Me: "Yeah, I'm sure you did." *starts to walk away since I can tell I'm going to make no progress*
    SN: "You come here again and I'll kick your fucking ass!"
    Me: *record screech* "Are you threatening me?"
    SN: "Yeah, you heard me! I'll kick your fucking ass you fucking bitch!" *starts to charge at me a little bit* "Go get your husband. I want to talk to him."
    Me: "So, for the record, you are threatening me."
    SN: "Fuck yeah I am! Go get your fucking husband. I want to fucking talk to him! I'll kick his ass, too!"
    Me: "Riiiight."

I went back inside. Hubs had overheard the whole thing and was now fully awake. We called the police and informed them what was up.

The neighbor did come by about half an hour later to apologize. I let him talk to Hubs. He said he didn't want to get off on a bad foot with us and that he had anger issues. No shit, Sherlock. He cussed me out and threatened me like that in front of his young daughter. I'd be damn embarrassed if I were him.

Hubs let him know that he'd really upset me and that we'd already called the police and that they would be stopping by. They did come by, talked to me, talked to him, and then left. So now, at the very least, there's a paper trail started regarding his "anger issues".

Today the music was back, though only for about an hour this time it seems.

I'm going to talk to the landlord next and let him know what's up.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Why, why, why are there so many assholes in the world!!! Why do people have to be so inconsiderate? I can listen to my music and disturb no one. Guess why? HEADPHONES.

I HATE people like that.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      I can listen to my music and disturb no one. Guess why? HEADPHONES.
      But ya gotta have the subwoofers cranked way up to shake your goolies enough to get off...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I have so much sympathy for you ... the last apartment I lived in was paradise for a year. Then the neighbour moved out and Prime Asshole moved in. Now, part of the problem, I'm convinced, was the structure: I heard zip from the neighbours on one side, but I could hear damn near everything from Prime Asshole's apartment, and it's my belief that the wall separating my apartment and his was, shall we say, not as well-constructed as the other wall. And I'm being polite about that ...

But whatever the cause, he evidently felt he couldn't enjoy himself without the bass cranked to the max, regardless of the hour. And while it's not illegal during daylight hours, it does get to be pretty wearing, particularly when it goes on hour after hour after hour ... and particularly when it started at 7 a.m.

Superintendent would do nothing. Landlord didn't seem to give a rat's ass either. I am SO glad to be out of there.

Good for your for starting the paper trail with the police. He needs to understand that trying to fob you off with stories about his "anger issues" isn't going to be nearly enough if he's not going to actually DO something about those "issues." And I hope your landlord takes it a lot more seriously than mine did.

Comment

Reminds me of one neighbor I had. She would play her rap music with the volume at 11. One time she turned it up full and left for the fucking day. 7 hours, no one home to listen to it, but at full volume.

I once (ONCE) asked her, very politely, to turn it down a little. Man, you should have heard her go. She tore me a new asshole, her basic argument was "I'm black, your white, so I have every right to listen to my music and you have NO FUCKIN' RIGHT to tell me to turn it down, your ancestors enslaved mine so I have every fucking right to listen to my music however fucking loud I want..."blahblahblah. (Man, this woman was doing everything she could to fit the worst possible definition of "the 'N' word.")

I got even.

One morning, listening to the classical music station, the 1812 Overture came on. A version with live cannon. I couldn't resist, I cranked the volume. (When it ended, I turned it back down.) Well, about 20 minutes later the police were knocking on my door. (Note: this was around 11 in the morning.) They had a noise complaint against me. I explained my love of classical music, and that I couldn't resist, but as they could see I turned it down after it was over.

I then told them I knew who called it in, they didn't have to confirm or deny who, and that she had no right to complain. I explained the shit she pulled. They told me, "Well, next time don't take the law into your own hands. Call us, that's what we're here for." I said, "Thank you, officer, that's exactly what I'll do."

I can only guess the bitch was listening through her door - she never turned it up again, because she knew I would - and as she never turned it down, she would have been caught red-handed.

So, my suggestion? Don't wait until "quiet hours" - next time he cranks it up enough to annoy you in your own home, call the police. Again. And again, if needed. After a few visits, he may wake up.
          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
            Reminds me of one neighbor I had. She would play her rap music with the volume at 11. One time she turned it up full and left for the fucking day. 7 hours, no one home to listen to it, but at full volume.
            What the fuck?! Who DOES that? It'd be like me putting in a movie on A/B repeat for six hours while I went to work. Makes no goddamn sense.

Comment

I had a neighbor like that; actually it was her jackass son who was the problem.

I knew things were not going to go well when he starts blaring his punk rock music fully cranked at 3 flipping am! And seemed confused when I band on his door to tell him to shut that shit off (I said it nicer that than, but that's what I was thinking).

I had to deal with his crap for a year. Called the cops several times, but they wouldn't write him a ticket; they thought the matter best handled by management. The manager wanted to evict the mother, but was overruled by corporate; the jackass son actually had the gall to tell the cops I was "harassing him" even though the cops noted the music when they responded to my calls.

It was aggravating. The manager refused to sign a new lease after a year and they finally moved out. Good riddance.

I swear, the next house I buy will be in the country with no neighbors
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Reminds me of one neighbor I had. She would play her rap music with the volume at 11. One time she turned it up full and left for the fucking day. 7 hours, no one home to listen to it, but at full volume..
                I had neighbors like that when I lived in Orlando (FL). Except they were in the NEXT building across the yard. And I heard every damn note & bass line & vocals through the walls, windows. For HOURS. Yes, across the yard.

I don't know how the 7 other apartments in that one building dealt with it.
                Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                  What the fuck?! Who DOES that? It'd be like me putting in a movie on A/B repeat for six hours while I went to work. Makes no goddamn sense.
                  Who? Someone who feels I owe her because my ancestors enslaved hers. (Point: in the 1800's, my ancestors were poor peasants in Eastern Europe. Just because I look white doesn't mean my great-grandparents were Southern Plantation owners.) She actually DID say "because I'm black and you're white." In other words, a reverse-racist bitch.

I'll bet she "plays the race card" whenever she has the chance. She's that kind of "person." Fortunately, this was all 25 years ago (and made me decide to never share walls with a neighbor again, if I can help it.)
                  I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

In other words, a reverse-racist bitch.
                    She wasn't a reverse racist just a plain ol racist.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                      Agreed. There's no such thing as "reverse racism", since the reverse of racism is acceptance. She's just plain racist.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

So, my suggestion? Don't wait until "quiet hours" - next time he cranks it up enough to annoy you in your own home, call the police. Again. And again, if needed. After a few visits, he may wake up.
                        You would think so, wouldn't you? I had an upstairs neighbor that blasted his stereo at all hours of the night. He was actually a nice guy for the most part, but somewhat clueless when it came to noise. I'd knock on his door, and if he answered it, he would turn it down, but then he'd gradually turn it back up. I called the police on him so many times, I still remember their number, even though I moved out of the city over 20 years ago. It was so bad, that even his own wife would get tired of it and break his speakers. And then he'd run out and get a brand new set.

One night we were hanging out, and he told me he knew I was the one who had called the police, and he understood why, and apologized for the noise. I was relieved, and figured that he had finally gotten the message. But he still kept doing it. Some people...
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                          Quoth XCashier View Post
                          Agreed. There's no such thing as "reverse racism", since the reverse of racism is acceptance. She's just plain racist.
                          Very much agreed. If someone of a minority accuses someone of a majority of being racist because they are of that majority, then the person of the minority is the one who is being racist.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Reminds me of one neighbor I had. She would play her rap music with the volume at 11.
                            good lord, i love rap music, but not enough to want to annoy the fuck out of anyone. yeah, i play it at a decent volume. if i want it LOUD, i have the brain cells required to grab a pair of earbuds and put them in.
                            If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Not as bad as my Ex and I getting the cops called on usseveral times for (the "complaintants" 2 floors above us words not mine) "having a VERY LOUD ORGY PARTY" in our apartment.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X