This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Rounds on the SC's

With it being New Years, people have been boozing it up a bit.

Unfortunately, that includes a few who really shouldn't have.

Round One

Twitch came back in the Pedestrian-Maker (that's his pet name for his repo truck, since it's not built to the same spec as the rest of ours) with a freshly legally-stolen car and noted he didn't feel bad for taking it from the owner's driveway, considering the owner still had an open can of Budweiser sitting in the center cup holder. I felt just a tiny bit safer driving home that night.

Round Two

Eugene, another of our drivers, pulled up to a stop sign and was minding his own business when a car coming down the cross street tried to turn onto his street, misjudged the turn, and slammed right into a telephone pole on the corner.

It proceeded to then back up, tried to take the turn again, missed again, and slammed the pole, again.

Eugene, figuring there's only one reason why anyone would try, and fail, to miss something like a telephone pole in that fashion, twice no less, called the cops to report a DUI driver and gave his location.

By the time the cruiser got there, the car in question was on it's fourth try to navigate the corner, the 3rd try having missed the pole, but hit a parked car instead.

Surprisingly, the 4th try was the charm, and they got around both the car they hit AND the pole, but by then the cumulative damage done to their car had reduced it's top speed to that of a brisk walk. The responding officer jogged up alongside the driver's door, reached in the window, and pulled out the keys.

The driver opened the door, promptly fell out face first in the snow and told the cop.

"Yeah, I know why you're here, just put in the back (of the cop car) I'm gonna fail that test........"

All things considered, the was probably the smartest thing he could have done. Eugene towed the car back to the shop, sans both front and rear bumpers and with several dents.

With any luck, it'll be coming out of the bodyshop around the time the driver is coming out of jail/rehab/ARD.

Round Three, Last Call

Now, the doozy I promised you.

Guy gets nailed for DUI. Cops call us out to impound the car. The officer on scene gives us specific instructions that it is NOT to be released to the owner, only a friend/relative can pick it up, that's how plastered this guy is.

Usually, they'll tell you it's okay to release it in the morning once the owner has sobered up, but he was so sloshed the cop decided not to take any chances.

Well, about 3 or so hours after we bring it in, fairly deep into the night, the cellphone rings. It's someone wanting to pick it up. Randy, recalling the officer's instructions, asks if he's the owner.

Oh no, the guy assures us, I'm his brother!

Well, that'll work, so we give him directions on how to get to us.

A bit later, there's a pounding at the door.

Not the front door, but the side garage door that opens to the service department. Randy opens the man-door just to the side of that and sees someone lingering around outside.

"Hey, I'm here to pick up my car" he says, so Randy tells him to meet him at the front door.

He gets up front, unlocks the front door, and as soon as the guy steps inside, into a better-lit office area, Randy instantly recognizes him. He's the DUI guy, NOT his brother, the exact same guy we just dealt with earlier.

Randy explains that he can't release the vehicle to him

Aw c'mon man! The drunk protests.

Randy reminds him that the cops specifically told us, and him, that he wasn't getting the car back unless someone other than him picked it up

The drunk still wants his car

Randy points out that he can tell, from his bleary eyes and beer-breath that DUI guy is still very much U to the capital I as it were, and in no condition to drive.

"How drunk are you right now?" he asks

"Not much" the guy says

"How much?" Randy prods

"Oh, not much at all! Only like, 4 beers"

"That's one beer for every wheel on the car, no way, you're too intoxicated to drive even if the cops HADN'T told me not to let you"

"Awwwwww, c'mon! I walked all the way here from *next town over*"

"Sorry, you cannot pick this vehicle up"

Suddenly, outside the glass front door, two Borough cop cars pull up and the officers come inside

They see who's talking to Randy, and are clearly PISSED.

"Didn't we tell you NOT to come here because you couldn't get your car back?!" One of them asks

The drunk just mumbles

"Remember what we told you? To go home and STAY THERE?"

More mumbles

"Fine, just have a seat right there *points to waiting area* and don't move, we're going to call you a cab, and that is going to take you home"

One cop calls the taxi company, while the other talks to Randy while keeping an eye on the drunk guy.

"So who called you?" Randy asks

"You guys did"

"Uh, no we didn't, the regular phones here are off after-hours, only the company cellphone takes or makes calls and I didn't call anyone"

"Really? Dispatcher said someone here called 911"

"Wasn't me"

Now the drunk raises his hand

"Yeah, that was me"

"Huh? You called 911?"

"Uh..... yeah, told them I was trying to pick up my car"

Collective face palm everyone!

That's right, in the short span of time from talking to Randy at the side door and going to the front, the drunk got out his phone and called the cops..... for reasons that only he could possibly fathom...... the cops do their best not to bust out laughing while they wait for the taxi to shovel the drunk into and take him at least out of their jurisdiction for the night.

That tiny high-pitched scream you hear in the background is my last glimmer of hope for humanity's future dying a final, slow, protracted, yet merciful death.

Goodnight everybody!
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
    Guy gets nailed for DUI. Cops call us out to impound the car. The officer on scene gives us specific instructions that it is NOT to be released to the owner, only a friend/relative can pick it up, that's how plastered this guy is.
    Lets start with this story. In short this man has driven three times in 16 hours. He was over the legal limit every time and after the first time his licence to drive had been cancelled by the police. So he drove twice without a licence. And drunk. On the same road.

Then there is this story. There were 13 people appearing in court over a 3 hour period for driving while disqualified or drink driving. All were disqualified further and told not to drive. Seven out of the thirteen were caught by the police driving away from the courthouse.

I really don't think Australians are (as a race) that stupid, but some are. The eight people in these stories thought they were special enough that they could ignore the police and the courts.

Comment

Reminds me of a story on the news lately about a guy who got arrested for DUI, the person who came to pick him up at court also got dinged for DUI, and the cherry on the cake? The Third person also got dinged.
      "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

I'd like to know where this locality is, that the police are nice enough to not only let the guy off from a DUI without arresting him, but then don't arrest him a second time and call him a cab after he ignored their very specific instructions. I know quite a few cops who are nice enough for the first part. But the second part? Not so much. That's just asking to be arrested.

True story: many years ago, I got pulled over very late at night. The officer accused me of being drunk. I claimed to just be really, really tired after a long day and night at work. The officer told me he didn't believe my story, "But here's what's gonna happen: You're gonna park this truck right here. You're gonna walk home. And if I see this truck moved before noon tomorrow, I'm going to come and arrest you."

I was, of course, partially lying to the cop. I was very tired from my long day. I was also, I'll be honest, quite inebriated, and should not have been driving. But not being a complete idiot, I took the gift from Heaven, I gathered my things, I locked up the truck, I left it parked in that parking lot, I thanked the officer and wished him a good night, I walked the fuck home, and I didn't move from home till long after noon.

And that was the last time I got pulled over by a cop in this town, because for the most part, I haven't been that stupid again. (I've gotten pulled over twice since then, in California and Arizona, but neither had anything to do with alcohol, unless you count a hangover, which I don't and neither did the AHP officer. Got a speeding ticket in CA and a warning in AZ.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth gerund View Post
          Lets start with this story. In short this man has driven three times in 16 hours. He was over the legal limit every time and after the first time his licence to drive had been cancelled by the police. So he drove twice without a licence. And drunk. On the same road.
          I'm not quite sure why, after being nailed the first time, he wasn't arrested. And I'd really like to know why he wasn't when he was caught the second time just 9 hours later!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            I'm not quite sure why, after being nailed the first time, he wasn't arrested. And I'd really like to know why he wasn't when he was caught the second time just 9 hours later!
            Because technically, you can't arrest him for anything he did that second time.

He wasn't going to get his car back, he didn't drive there, so he couldn't be arrested for DUI.

He walked there, so technically public drunkeness comes into it, but they never saw him do it, so it's one of those "yeah, we're 100% certain he did it but we can't prove it without more effort than it's worth" deals.

The told him to go home, but, "not listening to the police" isn't something you can get arrested for either. In the heat of the moment, if the cops tell you to back away from a crime scene or otherwise don't return to "place a" for the night and you don't listen, that's one thing. But 3, 4 or more hours after the fact, if the cops can't cite a specific and immediate reason/threat to safety to justify it, you simply cannot be arrested for not being at home if the cops told you to go there. They just don't have the legal power to order you to stay at home. Even if you are drunk.

They could have cited him for calling 911 without a reason, but I get a feeling that's one of those "not worth the paperwork" deals since they probably had other more pressing concerns that night. Bottom line, they just didn't WANT to arrest him, and that's their discretion.

This state is extremely lenient on drunks in general, they'll take your car, but other than that, they don't show any interest in you unless you subsequently don't appear in court.
            Last edited by Argabarga; 01-03-2014, 03:37 PM.
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

the drunk got out his phone and called the cops..... for reasons that only he could possibly fathom
              Come on, Arga, didn't anyone warn you about reasoning with drunks?
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth gerund View Post
                In short this man has driven three times in 16 hours. He was over the legal limit every time and after the first time his licence to drive had been cancelled by the police. So he drove twice without a licence. And drunk. On the same road.
                Sadly, in many jurisdictions, this would result in 3 "first offenses" for drunk driving. The reason? Because until someone is CONVICTED of the offense, it isn't considered a prior offense when they're arrested a second time. Clearly, there wasn't enough time for him to be tried for the first incident before the other 2 took place.

He wasn't going to get his car back, he didn't drive there, so he couldn't be arrested for DUI.

They could have cited him for calling 911 without a reason, but I get a feeling that's one of those "not worth the paperwork" deals since they probably had other more pressing concerns that night. Bottom line, they just didn't WANT to arrest him, and that's their discretion.

This state is extremely lenient on drunks in general, they'll take your car, but other than that, they don't show any interest in you unless you subsequently don't appear in court.
                That's a situation where there's a VERY big difference between "moron" and "asshole". If he'd mouthed off at the cops, they probably WOULD have found either the public drunkenness or the 911 call to be worth the paperwork.

Cops don't like doing paperwork, so if it's a simple case of someone being stupid, there's a pretty good chance that, so long as the idiot doesn't piss them off, they'll give him a break in order to get out of doing the paperwork for an arrest on a relatively minor offense.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                X