X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return and exchange dramas

Story the First
    This time of year obviously we're getting a LOT of returns and exchanges, because buying clothes as gifts is a tricky thing to get right. Sizes and styles can be hard to pick. We get it. We're used to it.

In order to process your exchange, I need three things from you. I need the thing you don't want, the thing you DO want, and your receipt. That's it. Honestly. I promise, I don't need anything else.

And you needn't feel like you have to justify your return or exchange either, because I just don't care. I don't need to know the back story behind the purchase and subsequent return dating back to 1967. I don't need your excuses, your explanations, or your justifications. You are not on trial here. We don't care enough to put you on trial. Hell, we barely care enough to BE here. Furthermore, the longer you blah blah blah at me, the longer my line is getting. So you're not just pissing ME off, you're pissing EVERYONE ELSE off, which pisses me off more because they are GOING to take it out on me.

So. Repeat after me. Thing you don't want. Thing you DO want. Receipt. Got it? Good. Get out.

Story the Second
    My policy, let me show you it.

If the thing you are returning is the SAME as the thing you are replacing it with, then the discount you got on the original purchase will apply to the second transaction. For example, the shirt you bought for hubby went down a treat, but it's a smidge too tight. You want the same shirt, just a size bigger. And it was 30% off when you bought it? Congratulations, for you today, it's 30% off! It's an even exchange.

Compare with this situation. You don't want the sweatshirt. You'd rather have pants. These things are NOT the same. Therefore, because it's NOT an even exchange, we return the sweatshirt, and however much you paid for it, will be applied to today's purchase.

Lady, this is not NASA level algebra. You paid $25 for the sweatshirt. You don't want it. Fine. So you're $25 in credit with us now. You want the pants? They were originally $79.99, but today's sale, brings them down to $48.99. Basic math dictates that you now owe me $23.99 to complete the transaction.

No, I'm not pulling a fast one on you. No, I'm not cheating you. Yes, I AM right. You're not getting an $80 pair of pants in exchange for a crappy $25 sweatshirt. Nice try, but no. This is how it is, and if you don't like it, then take your sweatshirt and fuck off home. I've explained this literally four times, and the line isn't getting any shorter.

Oh, no you did NOT just get in line again and have my coworker explain it to you a fifth time. GET OUT.

Story the Third
    Buddy, there's a lot of things computers can do. But clairvoyance just isn't in their wheelhouse - or ours. I get that someone bought you a crappy gift and you want to exchange it, but without SOMETHING to go on, we just can't let you pick out something else. We've got no proof the thing was purchased legitimately, for a start. Not that we're accusing you, but these policies are in place so people can't just saunter in, grab a shirt off the rack, then tell me they don't like it and want store credit for it.

There is no shame in not having the receipt, especially since the crappy gift in question was a gift. But you have to give me SOMETHING. Who bought it for you? What is their phone number? (We have a store loyalty card that can be looked up by phone number, which solves the problem in maybe 85% of cases like these.) What DATE was it bought? (We can often track a transaction by item number if we have a time frame to work with.)

I'm sure if you actually thought about it, you could have worked with us to look up the transaction and find the proof of purchase. We're happy to reprint receipts when stuff like this happens. Nobody said no to you - they said that it could be done if you could offer us something to look under. But you didn't even TRY. You just literally jump-shotted the fucking thing into our trash and stormed out, like WE were the assholes.

Nice maturity, asshole.
    Last edited by veniteangeli; 01-04-2014, 08:33 AM. Reason: formatting
    Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Quoth veniteangeli View Post
    Story the Third
    ...We've got no proof the thing was purchased legitimately, for a start. Not that we're accusing you, but these policies are in place so people can't just saunter in, grab a shirt off the rack, then tell me they don't like it and want store credit for it. ...

You just literally jump-shotted the fucking thing into our trash and stormed out, like WE were the assholes.
    Yeah, when they do shit like this, I get really suspicious that it was just a case of a scammer trying to "return" something they just pulled off a shelf. Seen it happen. Some people think they're just soooo slick.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

So. Repeat after me. Thing you don't want. Thing you DO want. Receipt. Got it? Good. Get out.
      I must be a jaded soul, because I laughed so hard at this.

What a bunch of jerks.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Had a lady come in and complain about nail polish she bought. We returned it. But she kept trying to show us her toes. I said "Ma'am, that is fine. We don't need to see that". I wiped my counter thoroughly after that.

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
          Had a lady come in and complain about nail polish she bought. We returned it. But she kept trying to show us her toes. I said "Ma'am, that is fine. We don't need to see that". I wiped my counter thoroughly after that.
          All I can say to that is "yuck!"

I wonder if guys do something similar to this when trying to return athletic supporters at Peter Glynn or Sports Authority? Or when people try to return a package of Depends at Walgreens?

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
            ...I wonder ... return athletic supporters ... return ... Depends ...?
            You have to ask?
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Do you work for my store???? I also don't give a rats behind WHY it's coming back.as long as I can verify what you paid for it, either with your receipt, a gift receipt, or by looking your history up, fine. I will then take care of you. You can either exchange it, have your orig amount of payment credited, or take a merch credit.

And if you are exchanging like item for like item, you too will get any discount originally gotten. But jacket for sweater? Nope. You get what it sells for today.

And no, gift receipt gets you store credit, NOT refund in cash. Nor credit to your store charge. Nope. It doesn't work that way, and 99.9% of all stores do it this way, so don't tell me x store lets you do it. They don't and I know it

Comment

On this, I must say that I do at times give the cashier a short reason why I am returning an item, but usually because they ask first. I don't go into a shpeil about my ailments, my personal problems, my sick hobbies (because I have none), etc. I just make it short and sweet.

Comment

When you return something, ALL I want to know is, is it defective/broken? Other than that, I could care less why your Aunt Bertha bought it for you! Shaddup and let's get this over with! You'll be happy, I'll be happy, and the 37 customers in line behind you will be happy (well, okay maybe not, there's a line of 37 people after all), but at least it won't be my fault!

Comment

Some years ago when PDAs were still a big deal, two of my co-workers won these things at work (sales contest). They decided to take them to the store the things were obtained from and return them for cash. I never did hear what happened, but since they didn't have receipts, they couldn't prove they hadn't stolen them, so I wonder if they were stuck with them.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm guessing very likely they were stuck with them unless they stuck them on ebay - most competitions like that say that the prize is not exchangable or transferrable for cash.
                      Violets are blue,
                      Roses are red,
                      I bequeath to thee...
                      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth greensinestro by way of dalesys
                        ...I wonder ... return athletic supporters ... return ... Depends ...?
                        Let's have a round of applause for dalesys, ladies and gentlemen -- he'll be here all week.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth veniteangeli View Post
                          Buddy, there's a lot of things computers can do. But clairvoyance just isn't in their wheelhouse...
                          Very nice turn of phrase.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Let's have a round of applause for dalesys, ladies and gentlemen -- he'll be here all week.
                          shhhhhh! You'll just encourage him. And NO chronic punster needs encouragement.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                            ...chronic ...
                            Cthonic, TYVM.
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                              shhhhhh! You'll just encourage him.
                              Awww, but it's fun. Besides, I know the dangers involved. It's kinda like bear-baiting.
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X