This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 cent idiots

While shopping on the pasta isle at the grocery store today I saw 2 women going nuts over pouches of flavored pasta. There are about 6 different flavors, add water, milk, butter, microwave for 10 minutes and Tada!...pasta! They kept going on and on about how they could not believe these pouches were on sale for 99 cents. If they would have taken the time to read the whole sign (yeah, right ) they would have seen underneath the big 99 was "regular price $1.02"

If it's under a dollar, it must be a GREAT DEAL!!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      If it's under a dollar, it must be a GREAT DEAL!!
      Heh over in Aussieland that deal would've had me rolling in the aisles.

We don't have 1c/2c coins...all transactions are rounded up or down to the nearest 5c...

There's a consumer testing magazine called CHOICE over here that basically "wades through the bullshit" on consumer claims (and unlike most "consumer rights" crapola, they do try and discourage the attempts to get a discount unless it's a legitimate reason or it's for a test (ie to compare gym memberships). ONe of the things they have on the back of every magazine is where people can send in mislabeled or misprinted items.

Very frequently they will get a sale tag where the sale price and the actual price are identical.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
        We don't have 1c/2c coins...all transactions are rounded up or down to the nearest 5c...
        The penny has been phased out here in Canada also.

$1.02 rounds down to a dollar and $1.03 would round up to a dollar and 5 cents. You'd be amazed at the number of people who complain about the rounding up; they want to know what "you guys" do with the extra pennies.

They don't seem to understand that it's the government that came up with this scheme, not the coffee shop.
        The customer is always right until I decide he isn't.

Comment

The place I work at will have sale items like 5 cents less then the regular price and people go crazy buying the stuff. Last week we had a sale on a certain brand of toilet paper (Regular price $5, sale price $4.95). Normally we don't sell much of that brand of toilet paper but last week we were sold out in two days and customers were ticked because we were all out.

Comment

occasionally my pizza place with do a promotion like this.

The regular price of one of our standard pizzas is $12.00. They will heavy advertise a "sale" price of $11.99. YES you read that correctly -- a savings of 1 thin not worth very much penny. People will tear up the phone lines ordering that particular pie for the length of the advert time.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I'm reminded of this past July when I got an email from Microsoft. Because of my gamerscore, I qualified for a birthday gift of...wait for it...20 Microsoft points! That's equal to one quarter.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

What's your gamerscore to get that kind of 'generous' gift? I'm up in the 60,000s and have had nothing like that before.

Comment

I have around 5k, but I think you also have to sign up for X Box Rewards.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Canadian In Maine View Post
                    $1.02 rounds down to a dollar and $1.03 would round up to a dollar and 5 cents. You'd be amazed at the number of people who complain about the rounding up; they want to know what "you guys" do with the extra pennies..
                    I'm Canadian and have had customers complain about my rounding $5.74 to $5.75 numerous times. "Oh, so you decided to round UP, couldn't round down, could you!?"

No, nimrod, I couldn't, as that would be rounding down FOUR CENTS as opposed to rounding up JUST ONE. Wouldn't turn out so great at the end of the day if I did so for everyone, now, would it??
                    "All god does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring." - Invisible Monsters

"The only thing stronger than fear is hope." - Suzanne Collins

Comment

One grocery store chain has adopted a policy of always rounding down, but that's THEIR decision. It's perfectly legal to round 1/2/6/7 down, and 3/4/8/9 up.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Best deal ever: .99 for sweet baby ray's bbq sauce normally 3.29. Grabbed about 5. Now that was a deal! 1.02 to .99 is pretty funny.

Comment

Quoth vstorevigilante View Post
                          I'm Canadian and have had customers complain about my rounding $5.74 to $5.75 numerous times. "Oh, so you decided to round UP, couldn't round down, could you!?"

No, nimrod, I couldn't, as that would be rounding down FOUR CENTS as opposed to rounding up JUST ONE. Wouldn't turn out so great at the end of the day if I did so for everyone, now, would it??
                          It's really up to the company. Some round down totally, a few round up totally, and most go for the round to the nearest defaulting either up or down for mid point (aka 3/8). The only restriction is that business cannot dispense pennies. They must accept them but cannot give change in pennies.
                          I AM the evil bastard!
                          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Found out today that the "always round down" grocery chain has, without telling anyone, changed their policy to "round 1/2/6/7 down, and 3/4/8/9 up".
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I've seen this phenomenon before. People see that something is "ON SALE!!" and their minds simply shut down. Heck, back at BoutiqueGrocery, they would often have some items listed in the fliers as "featured", complete with big endcap displays and big eye-catching signs, but with no discount whatsoever. When I brought this up to Manglement, their response was always the same: "It's not on sale, it's our featured special item. We never said it was discounted..." -- This didn't stop said items from selling like hotcakes anyway. ~_~
                              Quoth Anakah View Post
                              sweet baby ray's bbq sauce .
                              Mmmmmmmmmmmm, I love that stuff ^_^
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X