This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return for store credit

Not sure if this goes in sightings, but it's more of a brain burp than anything.

So I'm doing some arts and crafts for the fun of it, and I open a brand-new container of paint. It's hard as a rock. Since I just bought it a couple weeks ago, and since I need it for a craft project that I'm right in the middle of, I decide to go exchange it for a new, hopefully non-dried-out version.

So, I head to my local MaryJo's craft store. (As an aside, I bought the paint at a different MaryJo's craft store when I was in a different state, and I no longer have the receipt. I -do- have the entire packaging though, since I -just- opened it.)

I walk in the door and head right over to the counter, as it's not busy at all. I ask the girl there if I can exchange the item for a new one, since my newly opened paint is hard as a rock.

MaryJo cashier
    : Well, since you don't have a receipt, I'll have to return it to a store merchandise card. You'll get whatever the lowest price was in the last 90 days. Then we can ring you up for the new one.

Me: Oh... okay. Well, do you want me to leave this here while I go get another one? (Fair's fair, since I don't have the receipt.)

MaryJo cashier: No, just let me know when you're done shopping and we'll take care of the return.

So I grab a basket and wander the store a little, but don't see anything I want. I grab a new thing of the same paint and go back up to the register.

MaryJo cashier: I have to call the manager over. Please wait a moment.

The manager is paged and showed up a minute later. I hand her both the opened package and the new package.

MaryJo cashier: It's a return. She doesn't have a receipt.

MaryJo manager: No receipt? We'll have to put these on a store card then.

Me: Actually, I'm returning that one because it's damaged. The other one I grabbed off the shelves.

MaryJo manager: (prepares to do the lengthy return process. She looks at the UPC symbols) They're the same. We don't need to do a return. You can just take the new one.

So... brain burp on the cashier's part, or maybe she was new. It -did- sound like a lot to go through for replacing a defective product, but with companies these days, you never CAN tell...

I'll admit I've brain burped like that working customer service. Back when I was still newish at it. So many rules and guidelines depending on the situation would make my head spin for a while, lol. Now I've got it down pat and mostly keep my keen eye out for the liars and scammers. I'm good at putting the kibbosh on them, and if I can't quite do it I've got managers who will, lol.

Comment

I brain burped like that shortly out of my training period... accidentally wasted five minutes of the guests time as I was trying to remember the process. When I opened up the ref book for help, I found the bold letter note indicating that identical item exchanges can just be swapped without doing the whole exchange process.

Comment

Working...
      X