This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about dried legumes

I have more navy beans than I know what to do with -- the result of my cupboards being in chaos, so I don't check before I go shopping, so I think, "Oh, I need navy beans for the soup!" -- so I buy another bag.

What this is leading up to is: Can I cook dried legumes and then freeze 'em? I am making various soups and freezing small portions for quick meals and would like to add navy beans (or other dried legumes) to the portions before I stick them in the freezer.

I've cooked soups with dried legumes and then frozen them without a problem. Not specifically navy beans, but chickpeas, white beans, lentils, peas etc.

There may be some loss of texture on thawing, but that would probably depend on how well-cooked they were before freezing anyway.

Comment

I do it all the time! You can get more home-cooked beans for a dollar than canned, with no added salt. And of course a whole bag is a lot, so some have to go in the freezer. The easy way to do it is to just put them in the crockpot with water to cover overnight on low. You don't have to do any of that soaking business.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
      X