X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racist jerk at the hobby shop

One from Saturday...

For the past couple of months, I've been trying to finish up some of the stalled projects sitting all over the workbench. One of them is an original-issue 1964 Corvette Stingray. This kit was only issued once--in '64--and hasn't been reissued since. All I needed was the engine, and some of the chromed bits. Problem is, that even though the '63 kit (which is exactly the same except for some tiny details) is very common, nobody had one. So you can imagine my surprise (and delight) when I found a complete '63 at the shop for less than $20. Still with me?

Another little project I have going on, is a gas station diorama for some of my cars. I already have most of what I need--various machines you'd find in a garage, mechanic figures, tools, a hoist, engine stand, etc. But, because the diorama I'm doing is a bit larger, most of the "action" is confined to the far right. I felt that I needed something at the left to make it more interesting and realistic.

What better excuse to use more figures, than a bus stop? So after I grabbed the '63 Corvette kit off the shelf, I spied a set of Tamiya's "Campus Friends" figures. Basically a group of college kids, including a girl on a scooter. No big deal, right?

Wrong. As I'm at the register, the shop owner opened the box, to make sure that all 6 figures were in there. (He'd bought a couple of figure sets, and one was missing a figure.) As soon as he flips the Tamiya box over, the guy behind me...starts going on that I "couldn't put no slanty-eyed Japs in a Corvette"

Shop owner and I just look at each other, like just happened? At least he didn't start ranting about how I was taking away "Amurican jerbs" by buying a Japanese kit... Seriously, I never knew that a set of 6 plastic figures could upset someone
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

What a total jackass . . . he needs to hear this classic song from Bocehphus. Should fix him right up.

On a more serious note though, he really needs to learn to keep his trap shut or else he will find himself the recipient of an unexpected bash to the head - or worse.
    Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 02-17-2014, 08:58 PM.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Don't mind him, he was probably just riding his favorite hobby horse. You know, the pure white one with round blue eyes. I tried thinking like idiots like this once, but found the narrow thinking too constricting.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
        ... but found the narrow thinking too
        ... constipating. Every thought I had was full of shaving cream.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
          What a total jackass . . . he needs to hear this classic song from Bocehphus.
          Can't get youtube (old system, dialup). Which song is it?
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            Attitude Adjustment.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I love Tamiya kits...

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                Attitude Adjustment

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                  I love Tamiya kits...
                  I do too, mainly because they (usually) go together right out of the box. No spending hours cleaning up mold seams, and the painting diagrams are extremely well-detailed. The only thing that puts me off on them, is the cost!
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Amen....

That's the only pro-side of going Revell, you screw it up, you're only out $20 or so....

And if you DON'T screw it up, it can look pretty nice.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3023/2...11a0490533.jpg
                    http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2344/2...a37870c3_o.jpg

I try not to touch AMT anymore, not after the one Mustang kit I got that must've been bagged when it was still warm from the moulder.... the whole body shell was bowed so bad you couldn't put the interior tub in it without pulling to the point of breakage..... I did crawl back to them for the Mercury Cougar Eliminator, but only because nobody else made one....
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      I try not to touch AMT anymore, not after the one Mustang kit I got that must've been bagged when it was still warm from the moulder.... the whole body shell was bowed so bad you couldn't put the interior tub in it without pulling to the point of breakage.
                      Wouldn't that have been "the whole fuselage shell"? Also, those are normally moulded in 2 pieces (left side and right side) - did the warpage make it hard to glue them together? Finally, were the wings warped as badly as the fuselage?

Comment

Mustang as in the car.

Those kits usually come with one-piece body shells, with only the grille/front fascia and hood needing to be added. (And now that you mention it, the grille didn't fit into that bowed shell without popping out either) The chassis/frame/interior are inserted from the bottom, and usually just need a thumb's worth of encouragement to slip inside.

This one fought me to the point that I could hear the stress cracks starting... so I gave up frustrated.

And then went out and bought a slightly better version of the kit and had slightly better results :P

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3164/2...43ba837a_o.jpg
                        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I gave up on AMT/Ertl years ago when I started spending more time gap filling than painting (and I'm anal retentive about painting). Now, almost all my kits are either Tamiya, Italeri, or occasionally a Russian variant for the right scale/model.

Of course, most of what I'm building now is 1/72 and 1/144 WWII stuff.
                          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

To me, it's not a Mustang unless it has either 4 hooves or 12 cylinders.

BTW, if you build a model of a Century, and put a Buick logo on it, you've screwed up. Note that I tried the "Century (disambiguation)" page at Wikipedia, but the REAL Century didn't turn up (a search for "<manufacturer> Century" turned up a number of pages where it was mentioned, but no dedicated page).

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                              Amen....

That's the only pro-side of going Revell, you screw it up, you're only out $20 or so....

And if you DON'T screw it up, it can look pretty nice.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3023/2...11a0490533.jpg
                              http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2344/2...a37870c3_o.jpg

I try not to touch AMT anymore, not after the one Mustang kit I got that must've been bagged when it was still warm from the moulder.... the whole body shell was bowed so bad you couldn't put the interior tub in it without pulling to the point of breakage..... I did crawl back to them for the Mercury Cougar Eliminator, but only because nobody else made one....
                              Oh my god. Those look AMAZING. I have to buy one and put one together..

Sorry for the momentary threadjack.

Forget i posted
                              If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Working...
                              X