This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
    That's why we went to Pathfinder over 4th edition. It's more about the RP than the combat.
    I just stuck with 3.5. 4th Edition was just world of Warcraft with pen and paper.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post

I just stuck with 3.5. 4th Edition was just world of Warcraft with pen and paper.
      Pathfinder's basically D&D 3.75. They rebalanced the core races and classes and worked out from there. Works well too
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
        Thats the impression I got. I don't own any books past 2nd Edition though and half of mine are still 1st. -.-

Comment

I wouldn't mind joining in. What type of setting are we looking at?

Note: I also have a D&D 3.0 DMG, if that helps.
          Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

Since those who join would find this out as soon as we start, I don't mind giving the intro.

It's a fantasy setting (swords and sorcery for the win). The campaign's initial name is Twilight of Peace: The Dawn of War. For 1,000 years a individual known simply as 'High Lord' has kept the entire world of Genwyn at peace. Mostly by might. The High Lord is a mortal creature, but is near god like in power. The High Lord's appearance is a mystery however. Always dressed head to toe, no part of them being revealed. So people assumed that the High Lord has actually been many people, with each passing this power to the next.

Every year by the High Lord's decree there is a tournament held in the main capital city of Thrace. All the apprentices of various groups (mage, fighter, etc) hold a tournament to see who is the strongest. The winner gets a mithril statue of them put up outside the Arena for 10 years. There are always 10 mithril statues outside the arena. Each are more valuable then what some entire kingdoms are worth. ((Don't bother with trying to steal one though, these things weigh tons)). The characters are this years batch of graduates ((IE they are all first level, just having completing their training)).

Also, Crossbow sent me a message, and had a point. If 1-2 hours a week is too much, 1-2 hours a month would be good as well. As long as we can all get an agreeable time each month/week
            Last edited by Mytical; 02-20-2014, 05:13 AM.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Honestly, I would love to join, but I know most of you are in such different timezones I'd be causing most of the scheduling issues.
              GMT+0 tends to be less useful than you think....

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                Now its just Lawful Good, Good, Unaligned, Evil and Chaotic Evil.
                That's...odd. It sounds like they wanted to become more Palladium-ish (which has never had Neutrals, afaik), or just straight up Warhammer RPG -- its alignments, the last time I played, were Law (strict LG), Good (LG/NG), Neutral (basically selfish) (basically CN), Evil (NE/CE), and Chaos (extreme CE) >_>
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

So far, unless I missed something, I have two (Ashcroft and Andrew B.) interested?

Anyhow, I found that D&D got way to complicated as time passed. There was a time, you could just pick up a character and run with it. Then it seemed to become math heavy, and while I am good at math.. it became more like work then fun. Which is why I tend to use house rules more then be limited by the books. While players shouldn't get too attached to their characters (Cause death IS an option), for the sake of the story .. yes I will fudge things a little. Mind you not a lot, but a little. I also encourage 'out of the box' thinking.

Most characters stats will be on the high side, because average joe doesn't go out adventuring much... or survive long if they do. Even after 20 (ish) years of a DM I am still messing with the formula, but instead of rolling I tend to like giving them a base stat (Lets say 14) and then free points they can apply to any stat they want. The more people the less free points (to a minimum of course), but that way they stand out from the crowd. I even have a seventh 'hidden' stat. Charisma I break down to two different stats. The original Charisma is how smooth a talker somebody is. Comliness (spelling) or Com is how physically charismatic somebody is (ie how beautiful/handsome). The points put into charisma are split in two (Charisma gets any points 'left over' by default) and BEFORE the game starts a person is free to increase one at the detriment to the other. It really doesn't change much, the overall score still decides the rolls, but it 'personalizes' the character.

So yes, I don't go strictly by the books, and rule lawyers can go jump in a lake, cause there is one main rule. The DM is always right
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                    I even have a seventh 'hidden' stat. Charisma I break down to two different stats. The original Charisma is how smooth a talker somebody is. Comliness (spelling) or Com is how physically charismatic somebody is (ie how beautiful/handsome).
                    Ironically, that's something TSR did away with when they introduced 2nd edition.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I've been looking at podcasts and youtube videos. Looks like D&D Next might be my kind of D&D. Now of course with NDA's and such nobody can say much, but there are Pax Videos/etc and it looks like it is getting back to the simpler D&D style. Which I like, a lot. I feel that players should have fun, over worrying about real life physics.

Let me give an example. In real life, you go diving for a Chandelier. Now if you were going to translate that real world physics to rolls of dice here is everything you would have to consider. The initial leap (ie can you jump that far), grabbing on, the chandelier falling the second after you grab it (IE does your weight/velocity cause the chandelier to fall), does the motion of the object carry you where you want (or somewhere else), and then the leap from it to where you want to go (which might even require MORE rolls). Now 'rule lawyers' might insist that a minimum of 5 rolls be made. If it benefits the story, I might have them roll once and even give them a bonus for a 'surprise move' on their next combat turn. If it doesn't, I will still only have them roll once, but not get the bonus. If what they are trying to do somehow has negative effects to the story, I might have them roll twice. There is no situation where I would require 5 rolls for the above action.

Here is a youtube video of a panel discussion about D&D Next. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV8xIIxVnPY. I agree..if you want to have a pie fight, why not?
                      Last edited by Mytical; 02-22-2014, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I've only played by 3.5 rules. From what I've heard about 4th Edition, I don't want to play it. Most people I know that play either still go by 3.5 rules or do Pathfinder now. I might be interested, but I don't think the Skype thing will work for me. I'm off work on Sundays, but so is my fiancee and we usually watch movies or play Guild Wars 2 together (while watching movies), or just hang out. It's usually not a good day for me to be stuck to my headset. I played a D&D IRC game awhile back that was loads of fun, but I had to stop a couple years ago when my work schedule changed and I wasn't able to play on the regular evenings anymore.
                        "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

So far the ones expressing interest have a more open schedule. Three would definitely be doable for this campaign. Send me a PM if you are interested Kara, and we can work a schedule out.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            Ironically, that's something TSR did away with when they introduced 2nd edition.
                            Heh. Palladium does something similar to that house rule -- they divide "charisma" into Physical Beauty (exactly what it says on the tin) and Mental Affinity (basically persuasiveness and tact).
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Have you figured out which tabletop program you're using yet?

Comment

To be honest looks like skype, and pretty much everything by imagination. Keeping things simple for now.

Comment

Working...
                                X