This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shady Photography Studio Fail

After writing the 'Cash for Gold' fail story, I remembered this one, because it seemed we were getting multiple complaints about temporary/seasonal stores ripping-off customers, who in turn took it out on the mall and expected Security to somehow be able to fix it.

A Photography studio leased space at the mall and put a display on an open air kiosk showing the photo work they did and directing them to the mall space. The only problem was, the photographer was very rarely EVER at the studio space, and they had no 'hours of operation' listed anywhere, so you would assume they were the same 10-9 hours as the rest of the mall. There was also never anyone at the kiosk to tell you about packages, options, etc. So I don't think they got much business to begin with.

Next, you made an appointment for a session and put down a 20$ deposit. The paper DID state that the deposit was a separate fee and didn't go towards the cost of the photos. BUT, it also didn't state that it was non-refundable. A gentleman came to security upset because he had asked to reschedule his appointment (a week in advance) and they wanted him to put down another 20$ deposit. We became the referees between the man and the studio; the studio was adamant that they didn't have to give the money back. We STRONGLY ENCOURAGED them to work with the customer and use that 20 towards another appointment, because nowhere on their receipt did they have that in writing and I believe legally it has to be. He ended up canceling the appointment and getting his 20 back.

It turned-out he wasn't the only one they tried to keep deposits from. We got multiple complaints that people would come in for their appointments to find nobody in the studio and nobody answering the phone, then try to reschedule and being told they needed to put down another deposit.

The studio also was VERY SLOOOWWWW when it came to getting people their pictures. One customer complained they'd checked back for 3-months and the photos weren't in yet, and the studio wouldn't return their calls.

Then one day the studio just took its display and emptied its space and left. Never told the management or broke their lease. So all these angry customers were storming the mall office wanting their photos! Management demanded that the photography company give them all the photo packages they had completed. Management then began handing-out the packages or mailing them as the customers came in. Some of the packages were completely unmarked with no names or addresses, so there was no way of knowing who to give them to.

Sigh. All to fill a space and make a few months rent.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

That stunk. One would think signing up for mall space would include some sort of legalese about hours of operation and codes of conduct.

I know the malls around here require a store to be open mall hours except for things like doctors.

Comment

Malls are having a tough time keeping all their spaces full, so I'm not too surprised the OP's mall would take these people on without asking a lot of questions.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        Malls are having a tough time keeping all their spaces full, so I'm not too surprised the OP's mall would take these people on without asking a lot of questions.

Things are tough all over... there's a store front across the street from us that's been through at least 5 businesses in the last 8 years.

They were a shoe store when we moved in 9 years ago but were charging double what a rational person would pay for shoes. I'll get mine at Target, sorry.

They were a refurbished/hand painted furniture store for about a year. Beautiful stuff, but I can't afford to drop $500 on a dresser.

They were a hat store for about 3 months although I got the impression that the place moved to a new location every 3 - 6 months as part of their sales concept.

They were a Kricket store for 6 months. They disappeared like thieves in the night as soon as their lease was up. (might have even been a little sooner)

Most recently they were a jewelry and accessory shop. That lasted six months, too.

I feel bad for the woman who owns the building... she lives upstairs with her handicapped son and although she's a nurse or something, I know that extra income helps a lot. She even had an electrical fire in the place a couple of years ago that resulted in most of the upstairs apartment getting gutted. I could literally see the flames coming up from the floor in the hallway that led up to her place. Just before the firefighters got in to get it under control.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
          That stunk. One would think signing up for mall space would include some sort of legalese about hours of operation and codes of conduct.

I know the malls around here require a store to be open mall hours except for things like doctors.
          They do, but most of the mall's options involve adding conract-mandated fines to the rent and kicking the tenant out. They aren't going to kick them out lightly.

It'll take a weeks or months of complaints before the mall management realizes that they've got a problem, then weeks more of trying to get the idiot tenant to clean up his act, then a few more threatening, then 'poof' tenant goes away on his own.

If mall management could react faster, they could deal faster, but that'smhard when spending most of your time trying to find more tenants.
          Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

At the local SaG, one of those movie photos stores set up in the shop next door. It started up about 6 weeks before Christmas and was due to leave late January. Except they upped and left on 1st January. They turned up at 9am when the shopping centre opened for shop staff to come in, and by the time stores opened at 11am, they'd packed up every poster and gone.

Leaving lots of people who'd put down deposits on the posters to come in only to find the store had vanished. We understood the shipping centre had fun with that.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
              Things are tough all over... there's a store front across the street from us that's been through at least 5 businesses in the last 8 years.
              There was a place like that opposite the supermarket at our local shopping centre when I was a kid.
              In about 10 years it went through being a green grocer, a butcher, a video store, gift shop, clothing store and empty for long periods as well as being set up as a temporary dollar/poster store in between all the others. Eventually the local baker leased in as a second branch of his bakery.
              Been there almost 20 years now.

nice pies too.

Now I want a pie dammit.
              Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

Quoth the lawsmeister View Post
                Now I want a pie dammit.
                May you attain enlightenment from this song.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

There was a "shop" area in the mall near my house that went through more tenants prior to the renovation than any other store. Over time it had been:

-A cheap little $2 shop.
                  -A clothing store (the fashions weren't horrible, but my area is more known for having "older" customers and the prices weren't that great)
                  -A dinnerware store (overpriced)
                  -A clearance store for the local chemist.
                  -A clearance store for the local newsagent.

I can't remember what it was prior to the $2 shop, but yeah...it went through quite a lot of tenants.

The area that used to house said "cursed" store is now occupied by an optometrist and a credit union (each of these has part of the "cursed" store in them). They've also discovered that if they want to attract "young" clothing stores, make sure that they're more modest and cater to a wide range of needs as opposed to just parties!
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I was told there would be pie?

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                      I was told there would be pie?
                      You know what happens when you ask for more...
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        You know what happens when you ask for more...
                        I was not the slightest bit surprised to see what this clip was.

Comment

Working...
                        X