This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidental flood with a touch of "Sightings"

Last weekend my aunt's daughter was down from Warrington, so most of our extended family went out for dinner (it's not that bad, just 9 of us at the time!)

Needless to say we'd booked ahead, and were well into our main course and having a wonderful time. My aunt was in the middle of telling a story and, like most of us, tends to talk with her hands. It was a rather good story, and she was really getting into the telling of it. One wild hand-wave later, the full pint of water sitting by her plate went flying across the table. The flood was epic, and the resultant waterfall off the edge of the table managed to land right in her son's lap!

The reaction shots were awesome! The entire restaurant went silent in a spreading pool around us. My cousin looked like he'd been slapped in the face with a wet fish, the expressions on the faces of the rest of the table were priceless, then it started. First a snigger from his sister. Then from his wife. Then the rest of us started laughing, until the whole restaurant was giggling, soggy-lapped cousin included!

Then came the minor Sighting. Our waiter, who was the next table over, more or less ignored us and wandered off to another table. The nice waitress from the next section came running over with a roll of blue paper and started mopping up (I helped) while our server completely ignored what was going on.

Needless to say, at the end of the night our bill was paid to the penny with mum's debit card, and we had a whip-round and I tracked the nice waitress down to give her the tip!

By the way, I live in the UK, so no comments about tipping, please. Our minimum wage is a minimum wage, and tips are only for above-average service.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Glad you tipped her, I bet that's not the only time she's covered for Mr Apathy.

Comment

Kudos to the waitress who helped you guys out!

Anti-kudos to your waiter. If he knew what had happened, he should have, at the very least, offered to GET help...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
        By the way, I live in the UK, so no comments about tipping, please. Our minimum wage is a minimum wage, and tips are only for above-average service.
        As you say, in your culture tips are only for above-average service. Ignoring a problem in your own section is below-average service. Dealing with a problem in someone else's section is above-average service. The tip for the waitress from the other section (and lack of tip for your server) was justified.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
        X