This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post
    Ruggedised phones are available, designed for tradies and other people who have to work in strange and dangerous-to-phones conditions. They're a bit more expensive than 'ordinary' phones, but the additional cost seems to me to be reasonable for the extra work and materials put into the phone. I found out about them because I was doing an article about good phones for disabled people. These were good for people who have trouble keeping hold of things, and tend to drop them.
    Are they those military grade flip type phones? We used to special order them when I was welding. I'd liken them to an iPhone with an otter box or one of those screw together armour cases

Comment

What about this? You can put him on a cheap talk/text/data plan and depending on the phone, set a mobile data limit on it. Then teach him how to hook up to wifi hotspots.
      cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
        That sounds like an interesting article,Seshat. Do you by any chance have a link?
        'Which phone is right for you?' is the article.

When reading the article, please be aware that it's significantly out of date: use it to give you an idea what to look for, but please, PLEASE ignore the specific phones!

Unfortunately, my editor was all gung-ho about me recommending specific phones, even though I tried to tell him how useless that would be, even a bare few months on. Ah well.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Whatever phone you get him, if you want it to put up with the abuse of a teenage boy, get a protective case for it. What you spend now on the case will be a fraction of what you spend on the next phone after he screws up the unprotected phone.

I recommend Otter Box, as it's top notch, and to date has proven itself impervious to my natural klutziness. But if not an OB, get him something. After all, it's for HIS protection.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

The temptation to give him the old phone with the hot pink OtterBox is strong...
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
              The temptation to give him the old phone with the hot pink OtterBox is strong...
              Your son isn't typical, so that might not bother him, but remember, it's not that tough to get a case off of a phone, so if he's the type to not want to walk around with a hot pink phone, he'll have that case stripped off and "lost" faster than you can say "Where'd it go?" In other words, it would be about the same as giving him a phone with no case at all.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Honestly if I go that route then I'll switch the cases on that phone and mine. Mine is just plain black. Nothing objectionable.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

As others have said, pre-paid is definitely the way to go. If he wants extra minutes, well...he does have SOME money from chores/odd jobs, so maybe you pay for the base time and he can purchase any additional time he wants to have...? If he runs out of minutes or damages/loses the phone -- well, time for him to start saving up that side-job cash, maybe?

Also, check the fine print carefully -- some prepaids allow you to roll over unused minutes from month-to-month, some do not.
                  Quoth Raveni View Post
                  ...until the next bling period.
                  I was gonna FTFY, but I think I like it better that way
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've decided that at least for now, I'll use the old phone on a prepaid plan. Since the phone hasn't been jailbroken, I'm limited to the three letter carrier. They do have a prepaid plan that doesn't have any data that I can afford. If he wants data, he'll have to figure out a way to pay for it. Also, since I'm not completely evil, I will switch out the hot pink case for the plain black case that's currently on my phone. I can't really afford another OtterBox, since I've just had to buy a new vehicle and pay the title transfer fee (which was ridiculous) and all that. I can deal with a hot pink case much better than he can.

Comment

It's too bad they don't have active color control for the cases...

So that whatever part he can see at the moment is black, while the rest is pink...

Ebil pink camo supremo!
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        It's too bad they don't have active color control for the cases...

So that whatever part he can see at the moment is black, while the rest is pink...

Ebil pink camo supremo!
                        Love it! With bling that can be activated by remote control.... "if you aren't home by 11 o'clock your phone turns all sparkly"
                        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
                          Love it! With bling that can be activated by remote control.... "if you aren't home by 11 o'clock your phone turns all sparkly"
                          And all your ring tones are by Lawrence Welk...
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

So, I'm sitting here reading this almost in tears from laughter. My son is also laughing. As Jester said, he's not typical. I almost think that he'd think it was hysterical.

Comment

Get some of those colour-change stickers, give him the black case, let him apply stickers to his heart's content....
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X