Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I guess my part of the suckiness was how I was feeling.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess my part of the suckiness was how I was feeling.

I'll admit I have never been able to conceal how I feel; it always shows on my face. Tonight I was doing food and it was busy later than usual because it's Friday night, spring break, and light out later. (I guess I have to get used to that). I was annoyed all night, to the point where some nice customers saw my stress and were apologizing to me! But I let them know they were just fine and they didn't take it personally.

This woman was not so reasonable. I had heard her saying to her daughter something about a drink before I was closed & had a feeling she'd be back after I was closed. Yep. It was 15 minutes after and all my lights were turned off, but I was taking care of baked items on the front counter when she walked up. She asked if the drink machine was off. It wasn't, but according to the timer would turn off soon. I could've said it was off, but that wasn't really true, and I'm just a stickler for honesty. I simply told her "I'm closed now." She didn't seem too upset, and then asked if she could leave her stuff with me to go get something else from the store. I said sure, she could, and then suddenly it occurred to me it was a liability. I added, "I can't be responsible for it though." I mean, we've had other customers' stuff stolen in the same situation.

That set her off and she stormed away saying over and over that I was "so rude". She caught the FES & MOD by the door and told them and the MOD came over to ask me. I told her what happened and her response was that the woman was really upset, and I could've sold her a drink, since we never turn the machine off, and we should "do whatever makes them happy." Fine, I could have. But why have a closing time at all? Why don't I just stay until midnight?? I came to find out, in talking to the FES, that FES had already told her I was closed, and SC tried anyway.

On top of it, I follow security policy and get called rude. I suppose I could've been more apologetic in saying I was closed, but still, why isn't my time respected?
    Last edited by Peppergirl; 04-12-2014, 04:56 AM. Reason: Merge
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Time in retail is not respected because generally people working in retail are not respected.

The retail person is not important in the eyes of most customers, you are, in their eyes there for them and at their beck and call.

I work for myself these days and if I think a potential client will be hassle and want more and more I just refuse their business, it's a great position to be in. A shop could not pay me enough to get me behind a counter again.

You did exactly right and followed the rules, you can never be wrong for doing that even if those above you say that you are. Just out of interest if you work a 40 hour week if you stay over or start early 10 minutes a day that equals working an extra week imd wises at the end of the year!!
    Robert
    Peterborough Cambridgeshire

Comment

Working...
    X