This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legit gripe turns into a BIG gimme grab

It's been a long time since I posted an SC story.

It's because I now work for a major data service provider that in our department only deals with corporate and business clients. I haven't really had many SCs because to be honest, if they complain about something it's usually a legit gripe.

This happened last week. Previous CW to me sent a tech out to customer's premises because of an issue with his internet. The particular customer had our same-day service contract.

He called back after 5PM and got me wondering why the tech hasn't shown up yet. I see that it was put in for the day after. I explain to him that I'm going to call the department that handles the onsite techs and then call him back when I get an answer (As the wait times for that unit tend to be long). He says OK he'll await my call back.

When I call the department, the very helpful rep does some sleuthing and discovers that there was a database glitch and put the service call in as a next day by mistake instead of a same day. Uh oh. The rep escalated the call to see if any techs were still available but advised me that because it's past 5 PM there are NO guarantees.

I call the guy back and get a busy signal. Every time I tried. Side note, shouldn't a business have some sort of call waiting / answering service?

I leave notes for the next person to tell the customer exactly what happened and we'll try our best to get someone out, but as it's after 5PM there is no guarantee that we can actually do it.

Now mind you, up to this point he wasn't an SC....

....Until he got one of my fellow CW's, who told me all about it as it became a supervisor escalation.

Basically, we didn't lie to him, we told him the truth about why no tech came out today. He was upset (understandable), and my CW had a bit of a malfunctioning brain-to-mouth filter when she said:

"I understand sir, but if you would have called sooner instead of well past 5PM the dispatching crew might have better luck in getting someone out today."

Well, that's actually true. The customer's response was something like, "It's not my job to make sure that you are doing yours" (Also true).

That's when the BIG gimme grab happened. I can totally understand if he wanted a service credit or whatever but he wanted us to reimburse him for lost revenue to the tune of 5,000 dollars!

My CW told him we are not responsible for loss of income and says so right in the contract he signed, he yelled and demanded a supervisor. Supervisor basically told him to pound sand on the 5 grand, and also said to pound sand when the customer wanted the agent written up for "blaming him for an error we caused."

I can totally get this guy's gripe, but instead of demanding 5 grand.... how about getting a backup service that you can fall back on?
    Last edited by sld72382; 04-13-2014, 09:22 PM.

Yow. Yeah, like somebody's going to hand him 5 big ones for something like this. He had a legit complaint but his idea of compensation was waaaaaay off.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I understand being irked, but why not something a little more reasonable like a pro-rated bill? That's the other end of just making up numbers. (Why not ask for 10G, or a million?! )

I also strongly suspect that co-worker's "I understand sir..." faux pas was prodded out of them.

Comment

Most companies

Quoth sms001 View Post
        I understand being irked, but why not something a little more reasonable like a pro-rated bill?.
        I expect a demand for a month or two of free service would go thru in any company that admits to an error like that. But if you want $5,000 you better be able to prove you make that type of money each work day for the last three months.

And as the OP pointed out, how are you making that type of money but can afford only phone? Plus if I made that type of money at home (as it sound like) I would have two independent internet and phone services to insure I was always online and available.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          Plus if I made that type of money at home (as it sound like) I would have two independent internet and phone services to insure I was always online and available.
          What I'd likely do in those circumstances:

1) Analog landline from the legacy phone provider.

2) High-speed internet from the cable company.

3) Smartphone that can be "tethered" from a third service provider.

It would take 2 companies going down to cut off EITHER my voice OR internet, and all 3 would need to go down to leave me without communications.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but around here, five large is the maximum award in a small-claims case. Maybe he thought he was "negotiating."

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post

It would take 2 companies going down to cut off EITHER my voice OR internet, and all 3 would need to go down to leave me without communications.
              Throw in Google Voice and all three would need to go down.
              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I'm guessing that somewhere in his service agreement is a clause that states the company is not liable for any monetary losses related to loss of service, other than possibly adjusting the bill and/or replacing the equipment, or something like that.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  I'm guessing that somewhere in his service agreement is a clause that states the company is not liable for any monetary losses related to loss of service, other than possibly adjusting the bill and/or replacing the equipment, or something like that.
                  You are correct, Mooncat.

Comment

Working...
                  X