Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truck Driver Does Better Than Waste Product!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Driver Does Better Than Waste Product!

Sometimes truck drivers make a delivery and some of the boxes of stuff are rejected not because there is actually anything wrong with them, but because the cases got dented, or dirtied from the floor, or just are in a condition that the store wont want them. Stuff like that usually ends up dumped as trash or sold at discount to one of those outlet stores.

Driver came to make a delivery where I work. His last stop rejected 60 CASES of cereal; dented, dirty, etc. He was told to toss it all. When he got here, though, He saw the dozens of construction workers we have working right now and figured they would appreciate having it.

Everyone got at least a 6 cases of cereal (12 boxes each). This is NICE name brand cereal; The stuff you love but can never justify spending the money.

Being security, it was a little odd for me. I completely saw where the driver was coming from, and couldn't think of any rules he was breaking at our property. It could have seemed suspicious, but I have worked at other places that regularly trash imperfect product, and these boxes were clearly cereal. The driver was with a reputable company and not just some random fly by night driver. The construction workers brought the stuff to their cars and trucks, so it never entered the building; I figured it was no more a risk than what they could already potentially have in their vehicles that I didn't know about. And besides, by the time I arrived the driver had already distributed most of the product; what was I going to do - tell them to bring it back?

I don't think it makes me bad security. The situation was obviously not a threat, and I simply made a note of it in my report and let my boss know. He was a little wary, but at that point what could we do anyway? Besides, drivers have regularly left trailers with us that were supposed to be empty but still had damaged product that they hadn't bothered to get rid of; we had to empty the trailers ourselves of everything from toilet paper to dog food (they brought the stuff to local charities anyway!) I'm not mentioning it to anyone else because I would hate the driver to get into trouble for a good deed; I KNOW they meant for him to throw it away as trash, but gone is gone. The last place I worked at threw away thousands of dollars of dented non-perishable food a day. I asked why they didn't donate it to a food bank. They said because, if someone said that the food made them ill, and pointed the finger at food the company had donated, they could be sued - they weren't going to take the risk. It made you want to cry to see all that wasted.

So kudos, Mr. truck driver, for helping a bunch of hard working guys feed their families!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Quoth LillFilly View Post
    The last place I worked at threw away thousands of dollars of dented non-perishable food a day.
    Same kinda thing with restaurants tossing any and all returned food, as well as leftovers -- in most places in the US, the Board of Health *mandates* it. A store that fails to comply could get shut down/lose their license AND face more serious legal issues even if they DON'T get sued for making somebody sick x.x Kinda like how buffets are supposed to toss *entire pans* of food if anyone (read: customers) touches even one item without a gloved hand.

Note that food places ARE (in most areas, not all) generally allowed to donate food that is not out-of-date, and which has never been "prepared" for use (read: still in the box/can = OK) to food banks and the like.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if a driver who delivered regularly in a given area, and routinely was told to dispose of it, had the local food ban on speed dial. "Hello, I've got $number cases of $product that I've been ordered to dispose of due to damaged outer packaging. I can be there at $time - can you have a couple people help me get it off the truck?".

When a driver is ordered to dispose of product, where is he supposed to dump it? After all, dumpsters are rented, and it would be theft of services to dump the stuff in the nearest dumpster. On the other hand, if a flat of cans has a couple damaged but the rest are in good condition, I'm sure a food bank would consider getting the good cans a fair price to pay for disposing of the damaged ones.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

If ordered to "dispose of it" -- either the receiving stores' own dumpsters or take it back to the point of origin and toss it there.

If the stuff is still sellable but not in ideal condition -- arrangements can be made to take it to a food bank or to what is basically a thrift store for food, that sells them for cheap (normally).
        Last edited by EricKei; 05-05-2014, 10:27 AM.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I've never understood (well, I do, but STILL don't) why people will refuse to buy food product that's in a "damaged" container.

And I mean "damaged" as in the can has a dent.

As long as the integrity of the box/can isn't broken, there's no way the contents inside have been affected to the point it's unsafe to consume. Okay, so the spaghetti got crushed, just means shorter noodles, not that they won't cook.

Okay, the can is dented, it's tomato soup, it tastes the same no matter what shape bowl you put it in.

The only way I can see it being a problem is when the can is distorted enough that the ends warp and a can opener won't fit on it, but that's stretching it....

I remember having to cajole a grocery store once into letting me buy a "cube" of coke with the top ripped open, from someone just pulling on the handle too hard, the cans inside were fine and hadn't spilled out. They were going to send it to shrink as "damage" and all I needed was the customer service desk to let me have a piece of packaging tape to close it back up and it was good to go...

They were astounded someone would pay full price for "defective" merch!
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            I've never understood (well, I do, but STILL don't) why people will refuse to buy food product that's in a "damaged" container.

*snip*

Okay, the can is dented, it's tomato soup, it tastes the same no matter what shape bowl you put it in.

The only way I can see it being a problem is when the can is distorted enough that the ends warp and a can opener won't fit on it, but that's stretching it....
            While there's certainly no problem with boxes or packets, there is a genuine health risk with dented cans.

On the inside of a can there is a thin plastic membrane that keeps the food from touching the metal of the can. If the can is dented and the membrane has torn behind the dent then it is possible for the food to become tainted, possibly leading to food poisoning or even lockjaw.

I agree with you about other packaging (and have even deliberately purchased items with crumpled/torn boxes so that they don't have to be tossed) but I would never risk my health by eating food from a dented can.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              They were astounded someone would pay full price for "defective" merch!
              I have found that many custys will DEMAND a discount for merch where the packaging has even the slightest visible "defect" -- even if it's obvious that the product itself was not damaged in any way! Stores seem to like to get that stuff off of the floor ASAP, too, as there are also custys who will make a profound logical leap, as such: "A tiny portion (well under 1%) of all of their boxes are slightly bent, THEREFORE, they are careless and reckless with their packaging -- who knows what horrible, defective products they have been forcing us to buy all along?!"

Comment

Part of the confusion with can damage is that distortion from internal pressures is something you look for when looking for tainted cans, and dents can make it hard to discern where the damage came from.

Comment

"Ok, the box is slightly damaged"
                  "I want a discount!"
                  "Is the product damaged?"
                  "No..."
                  "Then the box has done it's job"

Comment

Massive kudos to that truck driver. He was only following instructions, he disposed of the product
                    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                      Driver came to make a delivery where I work. His last stop rejected 60 CASES of cereal; dented, dirty, etc. He was told to toss it all. When he got here, though, He saw the dozens of construction workers we have working right now and figured they would appreciate having it.

Everyone got at least a 6 cases of cereal (12 boxes each). This is NICE name brand cereal; The stuff you love but can never justify spending the money.
                      The fact he donated it rather than sold it to them leads me to believe he was being honest rather than sketchy, YMMV
                      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        If ordered to "dispose of it" -- either the receiving stores' own dumpsters or take it back to the point of origin and toss it there.
                        Haven't run into that situation myself, but I've heard of cases where the receiver has the attitude "You're not putting YOUR trash in OUR dumpster" (when the "trash" is freight they've refused delivery on), and if the truck isn't going back to the point of origin, but is scheduled to go someplace else with an EMPTY trailer to pick up a load, "take it back" isn't an option.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                          The fact he donated it rather than sold it to them leads me to believe he was being honest rather than sketchy, YMMV
                          Believe you me, the drivers want to get on site as fast as possible to get their loads and leave again. Sometimes they'll leave 'empty' trailers with us that still have the product that was rejected from their last delivery! We have to dispose of it or donate it ourselves; so I've seen a wide variety of things that they just don't want to spend the time to deal with. It's about them making their runs and money rather than dishonesty I think. I was talking with the guy and he was talking about how he has gone hungry and lamenting about the price of food and yet how we just waste it for no reason.
                          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                          X