Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subway is INTERESTING on Weekends! (short & sweet)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subway is INTERESTING on Weekends! (short & sweet)

So I've been taking the subway instead of my car to work, because my car has been having issues lately. I usually don't take it on the weekends, but they were doing some roadwork on the route I usually take, and I didn't want to break my little car any more than I had to.
    On the subway everyone minds their own business, at least that's what I thought. The only time I got stopped by another passenger was to be asked for directions. I sat down on the bench and saw a dollar there someone had left, so I was like yay a dollar! I haven't found one in a long time so I felt lucky ^_^
    Anyway, I put on my headphones and waited for the train, and out of the corner of my eye I saw this frazzled looking woman. There were other people there, so I don't know why she made a beeline for me, but she did.
    "Hello? Do you hear what they just said?" she yells.
    I take my headphones off. "No, sorry, I was listening to my headphones." I said. Obviously.
    We both took a look at the notice screen two feet away. It said ALERT: TRAIN DELAYED BECAUSE OF POLICE SITATUATION IN STATION.
    "Looks like the train is delayed because of a police situation," I said helpfully. Probably assault or a terroristic threat, I speculated.
    "I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS, I'M JUST TRYING TO GET F**KING HOME AND THIS HAPPENS! @*#$&#$!!! !@&#$@&(#$(@!!!" she yells throwing a fit.
    "Mmmm" I said sympathetically. I take a look at her bags. She has about five heavy bags and only 2 arms. I wonder how she was going to get on the train. She continues to yell and curse at me, so I snap my headphones on again and pretend to ignore her. But I'm thinking, how can I get away from this crazy woman. I know she's just frustrated and venting or whatever, but I don't care to be cursed at. It brings bad memories of dumbass cursing at me for something that's not my fault at work :\
    Thankfully, she moves away to another bench when she realizes that I'm not interested in her rants. I can see her banging her head and banging her fists against herself there. Uh. Whatta weirdo. O_o
    SO after about 20 minutes the train finally comes and I board it. I can see her struggling and I debate whether to give her a hand or not but I know the train waits for no one and I don't wait to miss it and be late for work. So I get on and as the train closes, I think I see a glimpse of her yelling wait and having a total meltdown as the train leaves without her. I bet the poor station workers got an earful after that. :\

So I get to the other station and get off to transfer, when I notice a magazine someone had left. I glance around, and there no one there so I leaf through while waiting for the other train. I have my headphones on when I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn, taking them off again. It's a man with lost looking eyes. I figure he needs directions but he points to his ear and hands me a note in poorly written English. It says something about him being deaf and something about money and something about his daughter. It didn't see any daughter with him unless he kept her in the big pack he carried but whatever. I had no cash...except for that dollar that I had found earlier. I give him it and he signs Thank you. At least that's what I think he said, it's been a long time since I took ASL classes. *googles it later* Oh yes, that's what it meant. :3
    So I feel pretty good about myself and I finally get to work without any more people bugging me. At least, up til now....:3
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

A lot of those guys claiming to be deaf are scammers. I've gotten them in my store before.

Comment

I rode public transit regularly for a couple of years. Sometimes I really miss sitting back and letting someone else drive (the buses were commuter buses, so very limited amount of crazy), but BART was another story.

One night, I had a similar incident with an upset woman. She was screaming and yelling at the top of her lungs at someone, pacing the platform. I didn't move. You don't want to attract their attention. So I didn't see who she was screaming at.

We kept notifying the agent to send officers. I finally went down to the agent and told him in person. I would have waited for the next train, but it was late and cold and wet, and at that time of night they only run every twenty to thirty minutes, and it was an open platform.

Finally, some officers come up just as the train pulls in, and she quiets down. I couldn't see anything, so I assumed they had taken her away. Wrong, of course.

I got in and sat down by myself toward the back of a car to read. A man sat down in the seat behind me. As I'm sitting there reading, she comes up and starts screaming at him, just a few inches from me. I'm huddled down, again, you don't want to get their attention, and praying she didn't have a weapon.

Suddenly, she quiets down and takes a seat. I look up to see an officer walk through. He exits our car, then she starts talking loudly, and finally gets up and walks over to start screaming at her target again. This is what the officers were waiting for. Two of them walk in to our car, she jumps away and sits down, but they stand over her, talking to her, and when the next stop came up, they took her off the train.

You know, driving doesn't seem so bad now.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
        For a moment there I thought you were referring to a Subway shop
        I thought that, too. We have WAY too many SC stories concerning fast-food restaurants like that.

As for subways of the public transit kind, I have seen problems (and have sometimes been a problem, sorry! ) on subways and buses. Cooing over babies and toddlers (my fault, can't help it if they are so CUTE!), being scammed out of money, read news reports of people being pushed over the edge (and one who jumped onto the tracks with his 3-year-old son ), and so forth.

It all boils down to this: The main problem with public transit isn't the funding, nor the many repairs to be done; it's the public themselves.
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Hell,shopping would be perfect if it wasn't for the customers....
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I miss public transport.... sometimes... so many "interesting" people...

Favourite was some nut cake trying to get a response out of me, I just gestured to my throat and shook my head as if I was mute. Have also pretended not to speak English (I know how to say that in several languages now.... doing so in Japanese is pretty funny when I'm a pasty white caucasian)

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
              I miss public transport.... sometimes... so many "interesting" people...

Favourite was some nut cake trying to get a response out of me, I just gestured to my throat and shook my head as if I was mute. Have also pretended not to speak English (I know how to say that in several languages now.... doing so in Japanese is pretty funny when I'm a pasty white caucasian)
              Reminds me of this story on Not Always Friendly.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                Hell,shopping would be perfect if it wasn't for the customers....
                "this job would be great if it weren't for the all customers"

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  Reminds me of this story on Not Always Friendly.

Coworker has done this, more of a road rage thing - being tailgated by a taxi, driver him on the horn, swerves next to him and starts yelling abuse waving arms around. CW ignores for a minute, then "notices" the antics.

"I am deaf" in a voice sounding like he actually was deaf (was spot on in his reenactment)

Taxi driver sits back, winds up window.

Best part - CW's stereo was up full blast....

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                    Best part - CW's stereo was up full blast....
                    That's why he was deaf.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Oh yes crazy people are always on public transport!
                      I had to catch a bus once and this guy got on and sat behind me, okay cool. He then started whispering then mumbling and gradually getting louder and louder until I couldn't hear my own music anymore. He was pissed off about the government and his EX wife and just everything that has 'f***** him over'. He would also occasionally laugh frantically and hit himself in the head. Strange man, strange indeed, thankfully I can drive now
                      How have I not killed anyone yet?

Comment

I don't run into as many "interesting" people on the bus as much these days, but I remember one bus trip where this older woman was going on a repeated rant about two subjects - someone following the bus in their car, and how it should be illegal.....and how Americans were selfish and Ayn Rand had written a book about it.

It didn't seem to be directed towards anyone in particular, she just repeated her rants about these topics over and over in the same order.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                          A lot of those guys claiming to be deaf are scammers. I've gotten them in my store before.
                          You didn't happen to see this guy, did you?
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                          X