This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which i am pancaked

So lately I've been biking to/from work in an effort to better my health.

Monday night I was biking home, I was approaching a side street. There was a female driving a blazer or something close to it. She was supposed to stop at the sign and let me through, but instead she turned right intoy path.

In an effort to mitigate the hit, I start trying to pull off to the side and hit the brakes hard as I can. This had an unfortunate effect off pulling the bike put from infer me & I tumble into the trucks front grill.

One would think that the sound of impact would have alerted most and triggered the braking reflex of most people. Not this one. As I'm screaming 'stop! Stop! Stop! I go under the front tires. Lemme say right now getting a vehicle rolling over your ribs is not an experience I'd ever wish on anyone.

She stops right as the rears are about to go over my chest. It gets kind of fuzzy for me after that; my body goes into shock and thanks to a nasty forehead cut I'm bleeding everywhere.

As it would happen this incident took place right in front of the firehouse here so luckily I was boarded, iv'd and taken to the local hospital. Prognosis is not great but could have been much worse. As it is, I've got some nasty cuts (road and car rash) bruising (mostly where the tire bounced off my chest) and 4 cracked ribs. This's gotten longer than I thought, but they're giving me the 'good stuff) so I can get up, use facilities, etc. turns out the other driver was on the road without insurance, so this next parts gonna be fun.

I'm typing this from my bed @ the hospital. I ask for any prayers and/or good thoughts towards a speedy recovery. Thanks.
    πϱ -- The Greek Society you've been burning to join!

I'm so sorry this happened! Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Comment

So they caught the idiot who hit you, right?

I almost got plastered by some old asshole driving a Landboat who didn't see me and basically forced me and the bike against the right curb before I finally had to dump it and tumble. Only ended up with a few scrapes, but could have been much worse.

Best of luck and get well soon.

Comment

Hope you get better soon! And sue the female dog!

Comment

No insurance? Yikes. You're going to own her ass now; but likely it's not something you'll want to own.

Good luck. Get well soon and don't worry about anything but getting well. If you can (and if you haven't already) make sure you make an official statement of what happened so it's on record.

Comment

Get well soon and takes lots of pictures or get lots of pictures taken so that she can't try to weasel out of paying.

Comment

Jeez I'm glad you're not too badly hurt. That's why I've had to stop riding my bike around my house. Too many people actually swerved onto the shoulder to try and hit me. Lawsuit time! Especially since she essentially ran a stop sign and could've killed you.
              My Wajas cave

Comment

Oh wow! That could have been much worse, you were really really lucky! While cracked ribs and bruises are painful, they'll heal.
                Why is it that the most stupid drivers never have insurance? Make her pay...
                No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
                  Why is it that the most stupid drivers never have insurance? Make her pay...
                  No kidding...I thought most states required it.
                  Back to Jammer. Here's hoping for you quick recovery and settlement.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Holy crap, that was too close. Glad you're still with us! Ironic that you were biking for health reasons, and now look! Yikes.

Why is it that the most stupid drivers never have insurance?
                    I think you answered your own question there, BeeMused...
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                      Back to Jammer. Here's hoping for you quick recovery and settlement.
                      Most states, hell most countries, require it. But that doesn't mean everyone has it. Just like not all drivers have a drivers license.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                        Most states, hell most countries, require it. But that doesn't mean everyone has it. Just like not all drivers have a drivers license.
                        Point taken--I lost a friend to an unlicensed (revoked) drunk driver.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                          Back to Jammer.
                          In states that require insurance, some people will buy for the month they need to renew their registration, then let it lapse. Only a couple of states actually have it set up that the insurance companies notify the state when insurance lapses, so they can follow up with the driver.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Best of luck! Get well soon!

Comment

Little bit of an update. Found out the driver was not only driving without insurance, she was an out of stater driving around without a license.

Around here our state requires insurance, however you're not required to file the paperwork saying you have it unless you have been cited fir it.

As it stands right now I've been discharged and have claimed one of the main floor recliners as a bed. It's not comfortable for me to transition (seated to standing etc) but I can do it without help now. Been sleeping a lot, to hopefully allow my body as much time as I can for it to rest. Thank you all for your well wishes.
                              πϱ -- The Greek Society you've been burning to join!

Comment

Working...
                              X