This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yay for good self-discipline!

This is a work-related story that I found cute.

We have these Pokemon cards at work that the kids can use to play games, although we are incredibly close to confiscating them due to constant fighting* (I tried to mitigate the effect today by removing any cards with ANY multiplier). One of the kids was BEGGING me the other day for them (I'd taken them home to sort through them and remove any that were unusable) so I obliged and brought them back in for the afternoon session.

I then found him later on playing with another toy that we had (Tazos courtesy of my predecessor) and asked him why he wasn't playing with the cards he had BEGGED me for. His response was gold:

"I didn't want to play with them because everybody fights over them." (I'd explained to him what I'd done with them)
    So I asked him "so you walked away and avoided getting into the fight?"
    Kid: "Yes."

He got a high-five from me for that one. He's one of the kids who has been known to get into verbal spats from time to time, so this as a big step up for him.

The same couldn't be said for another child who decided that the best option when said POkemon cards were eventually confiscated, was to pretty much turn into Cyclone Yasi. We stopped all the kids after that.

Pokemon cards may eventually be confiscated methinks....>.>

*=To be more specific, these cards were like REALLY old ones and I do believe that a number of them are fake or counterfeit (not an issue for us since they're for play, not for trading). The issue was that some of the older boys (this school goes up to Year 2) were weeding out all the "Good" cards (ie ANY card where they had a multiplier attack ie "Horn Attack 10x" or "Swift 50+") and then using them to basically curbstomp the younger children by multiplying/adding said attack against ITSELF. I pulled out ALL the cards that had a multiplier and then proceeded to divide the rest into groups of 60 cards. My eventual goal is to teach the older boys how to play the game PROPERLY, but not at this early stage. Some of those boys are really competitive as well and a recurring theme for next week is going to be fair play and possibly signing a "good sport" agreement.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...
Working...
X