This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion!

Thought I'd post this here were it's quieter because it's not 100% the customer's fault. It's really a combination of a few mistakes. Anyway, I'm a cutter at a fabric store.

So it's Saturday morning, and we do NOT have enough people. The other cutter went on break, and there are tons of people waiting. I'm calling my only backup- the manager. She gets stuck doing a return and the computer messes up, so again, it's just me. And this lady comes up to ask about the price of a fabric. It's clearance (red tag) and I can see an employee had to write the number and price on the bolt. This is because it's SUPER messy in that section, and bolts are often lost, and we have to replace them. Still, I can see it says $12 on the bolt. The lady is questioning that price, as it's high, but we get that a lot. So she wants me to check the number that is written on some tape, as she points out that they are different, so she wants a check on the number on the tape.

Just wait, she's not wrong. She says she bought it before and it was cheaper but I know that red tag could have been on sale. At this point I'm a little cranky because she did not take a number, she just walked up while I was helping someone else. So I say that we'll have to check on it, and to take a number since I don't have anyone to call. Anyway, the wait was long, and I guess she put the fabric back and left. But I was curious so I found it and checked the numbers. The one on the piece of tape was right. It was $12.99, on sale for $7.79. So if she had waited (which she would have had to do anyway) she would have gotten the correct price.

In summery, normally I would have done a price check and all would have been well. But as you can tell by my convoluted explanation, it wasn't a simple price check. So if the price had been correctly written by an employee in the first place, none of this would have happened. I'd say the whole thing was part original employee (for messing the price/numbers up) part my fault (for not really understanding what was going on) and part the customers fault (for generally being a sour-puss when I was clearly very overwhelmed)

Thank goodness I'm off tomorrow because there's a coupon for 70% off the notions wall and people are going to be crazy.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Ugh, the notions coupon. Don't know why, but they've got the system programmed so you have to ring up the notions in a separate transaction from everything else to use the coupon. And the SCs complain about having to pay twice...I am so not looking forward to my shift tomorrow, luckily it's only a four hour one.

The SCs who interrupt other customers to ask us questions irk me, too. We have a take-a-ticket system for a reason. You don't get to butt in and disrespect the customer I am serving because you "have a quick question", which it never is. Take a damn number and wait your turn, or learn to use the price checkers located around the store. (One idiot whined, "but I shouldn't haaaave to do the work myself!" Yes, because shining a light on a label is such a labor-intensive chore. )
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Our store doesn't have price checkers. Yeah, it's fun. Customers keep telling us we should get them. Because obviously I, personally, had that option and decided against it. I have a pre-programed response: "I know! Please let the company know by filling out the survey on the bottom of your receipt."

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        "but I shouldn't haaaave to do the work myself!"
        "No, we should roll out a van to your home, bring a wide array of choices inside, wait patiently while you make your selection (perhaps a high tea?) then take all your picks to your craft room and depart quietly. The prices you are willing to pay, however, dictate otherwise."

Honestly, aren't the bulk of your customers DIYers? I mean, they're willing to do themselves what an enormous part of the global economy is centered around doing cheaply, but they balk at price checking? It boggles the mind.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
          Honestly, aren't the bulk of your customers DIYers? I mean, they're willing to do themselves what an enormous part of the global economy is centered around doing cheaply, but they balk at price checking? It boggles the mind.
          You expect them to be sensible? Now, most of my customers are okay, if a bit unobservant, but the worst customers are over-sensitive, thin-skinned, self-centered drama queens who just can't conceive of the fact that shit actually does happen and they should deal with it like adults.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Actually, I get a lot of "but it's cheaper ready made!" There's no point in trying to explain that although some things are absolutely cheaper to buy at Malwart, some are cheaper to make, and either way there is a certain satisfaction to doing it yourself.

Since our store lacks price checkers, and is often quite messy, I get to do price checks all the time. And no matter if it's on sale ("now I can't use my coupon!") or not ("but there was a sign!") I then have to try to calm them down so I can finish helping the person who actually waited in line.

Comment

Working...
            X