X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oblivious and entitled

Had an incident on the bus, Monday.

I've been rearranging stuff and hauling things to storage (most of which I need to start hauling *back* now that the "pre-inspection" is over). So lots of bus trips.

This one was a trip to Powell's to sell some books (a few gaming things and books I now have as e-books). The books were in a *huge* shoulder bag (and weighed far too many pounds). I also had my cane.

The bus was remarkably crowded for 3 pm.

All the "priority seating" was occupied and people just looked at me rather than making a move. Finally a guy one seat back (the first forward facing seat, the kind with the damned partition in front of it) offered me his seat.

I took it, even though I hate those because was better than standing. I hate them because most don't have enough room for my knees. This one did. Barely. And the heavy bag had to sit on my lap. (and my left knee was hanging out in the aisle).

A few stops later a wheelchair gets on and the folks on the priority seating behind the driver very reluctantly got up (one family group only gave up the side facing seat but kept the forward facing one next to it (which didn't have a partition) and the father stood in the aisle just in front of me.

Note that they usually make you vacate that forward facing seat as well because the anchors for tying down a wheel chair are under it. But this was a powered chair and didn't need them.

Finally a couple of miles later the wheelchair gets off. And I decide I'm going to move to the now partially vacant priority seating.

That father of the family group was standing blocking the aisle completely bent over talking to his wife (who was on the other side of the aisle from me). So his back was to me.

I poked him in the side to try to get his attention. No reaction. I do it again a bit harder. Still no reaction. By the third or fourth try I'm also saying "excuse me".

By that time one of his daughters who is sitting in front of me has noticed and is trying to get his attention. Still no reaction.

It's been a trying few days between the heat and the way too many trips to storage.

So throw politeness to the winds and say "EXCUSE ME" in a parade ground voice.

He finally turns around and everybody on the bus is looking at both of us. He doesn't say anything, just moves and sits in the priority seating directly behind the driver with a weird sort of smirk on his face.

By then I'm not having any of it. I just say at a more normal volume but still in a no nonsense voice. "That's where I was going to sit".

He gets up and moves. I think to the seat I'd been in. They got off a few stops later.

I really *should* have said a few things to him after I got the seat, but I had it and it wasn't worth the effort. Still, he really deserved to get read the riot act over not paying attention and not being willing to follow the rules.

So yeah, while I'm usually non-confrontational and try to let things slide, there's a point where the switch gets flipped. And given the "right" circumstances, that switch does go all the way to berserkgang (which fortunately wasn't needed this time).

Oh yes, there'd been a similar bit of entitled idiocy on the run home on the trip before that.

A wheelchair was getting off the bus (I was seated in one of the seats facing where it was. As soon as the wheelchair was out of the space and up by the front door, these two women start trying to lower the seat back down. This in spite of the driver and several other passengers yelling at them that there was another wheelchair coming on.

The driver almost had to yank them out of the seat. I think some other (fed up) passenger actually laid hands on one of the women before she'd pay attention.

...and they were all upset at this.

Their own damn fault for not listening while being so intent on getting those seats.

And yeah, it's unusual for a wheelchair to get off only to have another one get on at the same stop. I don't recall seeing it before myself. But that doesn't excuse you from *listening*!

This is why I hate buses. There's always someone (or a family) who makes the journey unbearable. I can remember queuing up for the bus. I'd just stepped on and was waiting to pay, but there was someone in front of me. Even though the woman could SEE that I had yet to pay, she kept nudging me forwards. Thing is, I'm now wondering if this was the woman who did pretty much the same thing to me when I was shopping. That one kept nudging me with her handbag. This one though was using her arms. Maybe they were sisters lol.

Comment

I was on a bus once when at the station I witnessed a wheel chair, a stroller, a guy with a bike a guy on crutches and a guy with a cane all get on at once.

I sat in the back.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
        I was on a bus once when at the station I witnessed a wheel chair, a stroller, a guy with a bike a guy on crutches and a guy with a cane all get on at once.

I sat in the back.
        Well, on Tri-Met, the bikes go on a rack on the front of the bus. If both slots are full, you get to wait for the next bus.

On the trains, there are places near the ends of the cars (only the low floor ones, not the older high floor ones) for bikes. You have to "hang" they bike by the front wheel from a sort of post with a knob.

It's a royal pain with my bike because I barely have the arm strength to lift it that high and because they didn't consider that some bikes have bigger tires. Mine has to be forced between the "post" and the bar above it. (I really should complain about that to them one of these days)

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
          I love the comments I get treated to sometimes when I take a seat near the front of the bus, even if I have my cane with me or when everybody has witnessed me hobbling onto the bus in the first place. I had one old biddy tell me that because I was young that I shouldn't sit in any of the priority seats. I held up my cane and told her that handicaps don't recognize age.

I've got no patience for some people, I swear.
          Yeah, without my cane, I get glares and hassles. *With* it I usually get folks giving me *some* room and the like.

If anybody tried that "you don't belong on these seats" bit, I'll just point to my "Honored Citizen" bus pass hanging from the lanyard around my neck (and I've got the TriMet issued *photo*ID to prove I qualify for using the pass or the equivalent tickets in the same plastic envelope)

I try to avoid riding the bus after three because the schoolkids are among the worst at not giving up seats. And yes, there are *large* sings above them stating that they are *required* to give them up to seniors (I don't qualify for a few years yet) and the disabled (I do qualify on that).

Mind you, some kids are really good about it. But the sucky ones (and the crowds) make up for it.

But it's the able-bodied adults who are the most entitled. And they're on the bus almost any time.

And then at around 4 the rush hours madness starts...

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post

I try to avoid riding the bus after three because the schoolkids are among the worst at not giving up seats. And yes, there are *large* sings above them stating that they are *required* to give them up to seniors (I don't qualify for a few years yet) and the disabled (I do qualify on that).

Oops, what that your foot I putt the tip of my crutch, with all my weight on it upon?
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post

I sat in the back.

At first glance I thought that said "guy with a canoe" - which sounds like a Marx Brothers or Three Stooges routine.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                Oops, what that your foot I putt the tip of my crutch, with all my weight on it upon?
                Oh, but that would be assault!

Besides, I'd rather do it with my walking stick (It's intended for trails and ends in a 1/2" diameter brass "spike" with a rounded end).

If I put *that* on someone's foot and leaned my 300+ lbs on it, broken bones would be the *least* of their worries.

It's also made of purpleheart and is thick enough to make a good self defense weapon (not like these stupid aluminum canes)

Comment

I bought my cane to match my steampunk garb. Copper tubing as thick as my thumb, topped with a lead finial from a Victorian staircase. Be a pity if I was to trip, and that head hit you someplace tender.

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
                    Oh, but that would be assault!

Besides, I'd rather do it with my walking stick (It's intended for trails and ends in a 1/2" diameter brass "spike" with a rounded end).

If I put *that* on someone's foot and leaned my 300+ lbs on it, broken bones would be the *least* of their worries.

It's also made of purpleheart and is thick enough to make a good self defense weapon (not like these stupid aluminum canes)
                    I have ice spikes for my crutches. And if it is an accident, it isn't battery. [Assault is the threat of physical harm]

EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                    X