This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying children at outdoor theatre - long

I was out with my children at an outdoor theatre today (the company runs outdoor plays through summer around the UK and passes through my town with a children's play once each year) and ended up stuck behind two really, really annoying little brats.
    The basic layout of the audience was that if you had a rug to sit on, you were placed within 10 metres of the stage and if you had a chair, you sat behind that area so you didn't block anyone's view. The rug area was about 2/3 families and 1/3 children placed there by their parents (who brought chairs for themselves and promptly left their kids alone). Unfortunately, just in front of us, were two boys of about 8 who spent about half the play being really, really bratty.
    Before the play starts - competition to see who can shoot their juice box further at the other one, or people sat nearby, and grass fight. They bumped into my older daughter, got warned off, and proceeded to run into someone else instead. Very quickly I explain that they're not mine (from the death glare the mum was giving me) and she tells them off too. Then they're mostly quiet until the interval.
    The dad of one of them sits by them for the interval and raffle, where they win a huge cuddly toy (and I explain to my older daughter what "tanj" means and when to use it). They spend most of the second half fighting over the toy once the dad's gone - throwing grass at each other, waving the toy in the air and hitting each other with sticks. Once they get bored of this idea, they start having a stick fight while standing up and getting in the way of everyone behind them.
    Finally they stop, throwing a large stick at a small girl sat next to them to mark their truce, and chucking a handful of grass at me. Once the play ends, I follow them back to their parents (as I told them I would) and explain how obnoxiously their kids have behaved - hitting other children, fighting loudly and being disruptive. One of the mums shrugs and ignores it, the other one says that she'll speak with them. I walk off, although I did see another two people coming to speak to them too (parents of the other children who got hit).
    I have a strong suspicion nothing will be said to them as the parents didn't seem at all surprised by this and didn't seem to take it seriously. They also sat literally on the back row of the audience, as far away from their kids as possible. Despite being really annoyed by the kids, I ended up feeling rather more sorry for them due to the quality of parenting they seem to be getting.

The fact that they not only sat *away* from their kids, but as far away as possible, pretty much confirms that the parents expected this sort of bad behavior...and that they had zero intention of correcting it. Not sure which was worse, the parents or their kids!
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

What, were they hoping that their children got kidnapped, since they obviously could not see them at this crowded event?

Comment

I would complain to whoever hosts these, a permaban is definitely in order here!

Comment

I figured that the distance the parents put between themselves and their kids was a sign of "I'm not getting involved in their behaviour" although "please help yourself to a child" could have been an undertone.
          Personally I'd put the parents in worst place, although it's hard to tell if they'd given up trying to correct the behaviour or had just never tried at all.
          A ban would be nice, but doubt it'd be enforceable with the way the ticket sales are done and the lack of ID checking. I'll just hope it doesn't happen next year, and if it does I'll hunt the parents down at the interval and make a loud scene at them.

Comment

Better yet, constantly report them as wild parent less adults and then make the parents have to explain themselves to security.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
              Better yet, constantly report them as wild parent less adults and then make the parents have to explain themselves to security.
              That sounds like a good plan. Security shows up, asks where are your parents, and the kids would probably take them right to mom and dad. Then security can advise them to keep their kids beside them and keep them under control. With any luck they'd be so embarrassed they'd pack up and leave.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                That sounds like a good plan. Security shows up, asks where are your parents, and the kids would probably take them right to mom and dad. Then security can advise them to keep their kids beside them and keep them under control. With any luck they'd be so embarrassed they'd pack up and leave.
                No security at the thing - in theory if you take your children to see a play, you're supposed to be a responsible parent, not an idiot.
                I did speak loudly when telling them about their kids behaviour though, and you could see the people around turning to watch, so hopefully the embarassment might sink in for future - not holding any real hope though.

Comment

Quoth Kal View Post
                  the embarassment might sink in for future - not holding any real hope though.
                  Yeah, public shaming doesn't carry the weight it used to. Maury Povich anyone?

Comment

Quoth Employee28567 View Post
                    What, were they hoping that their children got kidnapped, since they obviously could not see them at this crowded event?
                    But then they could sue the venue for not watching THEIR children!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Not sure which was worse, the parents or their kids!
                      About equal
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I have been known to take sticks away from kids, and if they don't behave after that, to take them to their parents for an accounting. I'm too old and crotchety to put up with that crap.
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                        X