Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Katie" sounds a lot like the way one of my female cousins behaved when she was younger.....she was spoiled, thought she had to have the best of everything, and let's just say that she found out a lot differently as an adult. (the said cousin has become a completely different person now)

Comment

"My" Katie was adopted...felt that she had to compete with her siblings and everyone else, no matter what the subject (she nearly destroyed my computer by claiming she could overclock it farther than I was willing to go--you don't even know what overclocking IS, get away!)

It was a shame, she could have been a nice kid if she weren't so entitled and bossy. One of her grand schemes post-college was have her dad buy her a gallery on Canyon Road in Santa Fe...honey, you'll need to make a name for yourself in photography first and besides the fact that there are approximately 5296 photo galleries in the city...to be honest I could take better pictures.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

As a mom, who has known those bratty kids both in my family , hubby's family this is my take.

Since it SOUNDS like Katie lives with mom and only sees her dad for visitation, my guess is dad feels that is better to be daddy the good guy, the best friend and hero instead of daddy the parent and occasional disciplinarian and villain. What that means is when Katie and her siblings are with dad, there are no rules that can't be broken or bent to their will.

Then the Dad's new GF comes into the picture and as a parent she understands that you need to stick to your ground. Enforce rules, set limits etc. Since she felt like she was in a position to do so for Katie, she did. The dad was wrong for not backing her up. Not only because it broke up her dad and the gf but because now Katie knows that he will always choose her even when she is wrong. She will always have that power over him and his life unless he grows a pair.

I hate to say it but this is when its a good thing to walk away. The relationship was gonna be controlled by a 9 year old and it was always gonna go down the tubes.

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
          "Katie" sounds a lot like the way one of my female cousins behaved when she was younger.....she was spoiled, thought she had to have the best of everything, and let's just say that she found out a lot differently as an adult. (the said cousin has become a completely different person now)
          I had a cousin like this as well.

She used to instigate fights between my brother and me when we went to where the rest of the family lived for visits. After one particularly nasty fight (I kicked Brother in the balls) we noticed she was rolling on the ground laughing. I helped Brother up, we went into the house and didn't speak a word to her the rest of the time we were there.

Neither of us had much to do with her for years after that, until her mother committed suicide (she was bi polar). Dealing with her mother's serious mental illness, and the aftermath of the suicide on her dad, forced Cousin to grow up. She's been a lot better since, and we actually get along now.

The OP's Katie really needs to get a grip. But she's nine and she needs her parents to help her get it. And I really don't see that happening. Dumping the ex BF was the smart thing for the OP's mom to do.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Reading this thread, all I could think about was this particular comic:

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp03012006.shtml
            "People can be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their god-given right to be stupid." from Seize the Night by Dean Koontz

Comment

Working...
            X