This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just need a mobo and CPU!

Usually I get left alone at the 'local' regional computer chain (not Worst Try, I gave up on them awhile ago). It's rare for some of the employees to see a female in the DIY section, but I must give off the techie vibe as I don't get bothered. Or didn't (back when I was active in the overclocking community years ago).

My desktop needs a rebuild, and I quickly found that it would be cheaper to buy all new core parts rather than max out the existing memory (and have maybe that not be enough--the board is from 2006). I can reuse a few parts, the rest is fine and can probably be resold (the store needs a motherboard trade-in program or something).

I get to the store and see they have a combo deal on the motherboard and processor I want...ironically buying the board with one of the newest chips is cheaper than the slower processor I was thinking of thanks to the bundle pricing.

A salesman comes up and asks what I'm looking for; shows me two boards. He's a bit thrown by my initial questions (max memory and type, northbridge chipset, etc) but most of that info is on the box. That's fine, I haven't gotten a chance to read the box yet. I explain that all I can buy today is the board and processor and I'll think about things. Maybe that was the wrong thing to say, as I end up waiting around for 15 minutes to get a processor. Eh, the section is full of people who aren't sure what they're doing. Still, there needs to be more than one person working the section especially during BTS and a sale. I did get to drool over their watercooling gear which I had no idea they had.

I'll need a gaming heatsink. Thank you, but not today. I won't be building it immediately, I have a tight budget and the stock cooling is fine for now (they don't have a great selection and he had to Google the brand name of the one I was using). I will pick up some thermal paste though, my tube of Ceramique is from 2005 and I don't know how long that stuff lasts before degrading (if it does). Why are you getting thermal paste if you're not getting a heatsink? I don't know exactly what I'm going to do yet and I always like having some around. Better to have it now and not need it till later than realize mid-build that I don't have anything usable. No, that's permanent adhesive. I need the paste. The one you took out of my hand.

Even with the bundle pricing, I only had 3 cents left over from the money I earmarked (I did bring extra, but was trying to be good).

Overall the interaction was pleasant enough, it just took forever and I hadn't experienced an upsell in awhile (I know what I need, what part of "I'm on a serious budget" do you not get?). Although they probably cater to a LOT of students who want/need to build something fast. They've also changed things around; the processors in the (locked) case on the floor are just for display. Why do they have to get one from the back if the case is locked?
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

"Locked" cases aren't all that hard to get into sometimes...

Comment

I've given up on brick and morter for computer hardware. Almost everything I get is NewEGG or Amazon (and maybe MWave if they've got a sale going). The only downside is the wait time but it saves me the trip to a store for something they might not even have. We only have a TigerDirect around these parts, which used to be a CompUSA. It's been 3 years since my last build, and it's getting to be about time for the kids computer to be refreshed. It's the only desktop left in the house... everything else is laptops.
      But the paint on me is beginning to dry
      And it's not what I wanted to be
      The weight on me
      Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        (I know what I need, what part of "I'm on a serious budget" do you not get?).
        Some folks simply take such a declaration as a challenge to their salesmanship skills, for some reason. As for thermal paste - yes, it solidifies after a certain amount of time, IIRC, even if you keep it in ideal conditions (no idea how long tho; even with stock cooling/the heatsink that comes with the CPU, it will come in handy.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I am a brick and mortar computer store but we don't keep any mobos or CPU's in stock as we virtually never have people wanting to buy them. Pretty much anyone smart enough to build their own computer or replace their own parts would know to order from Newegg or Tigerdirect.

We keep some stuff handy, like hard drives, DVD-RW's, and sometimes some memory but only because we burn through that stuff pretty quickly.

Comment

These salesmen are on commission, which makes it worse (the "I'm on a budget" line falls on deaf ears). A few managers ago, there were a few guys there who knew when to upsell but also when to leave people alone.

I try to avoid brick and mortar as well, but right now I have very little headroom on my credit card and paying cash was easier than going back into town to pay the card and then come back to the store (also I knew exactly how much I had to spend). Most of the students in the store that day probably had parents' cards to pay with, hence 'unlimited' funds.

I was thinking that maybe the 'display case' is just that--a display case and there is no key

Comment

I don't deal with brick-and-mortar stores when buying computers any more. Too many commissioned sales people trying to get me to buy things I didn't want. No, I'll buy the parts from Newegg and build it myself
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

We have a micro center near us; if I need something in a hurry, I usually pop in there. They seem to be competitive with the online guys.

(I've never bought from Striped Cat Direct because of the Boulder Pledge; they used to be unrepentant spammers, way back when, and I've got a long memory for that kind of thing. Have they changed?)
                Last edited by Shalom; 09-01-2014, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Micro Center is competitive with Newegg for the processors at least, or they used to advertise that fact.

Comment

I've got a computer store here in town that's been in business for 30-some years. Whenever I need a new desktop, I drop them an email and tell them what I'm looking for and they assemble and certify it (certify it in that they make sure all the parts work together and are working properly) for me. Their prices from what I can tell are comparable to NewEgg and Tiger, and I get the extra piece of mind that everything IS working. (As far as I can tell, they source their parts from those sites or they get them from the same suppliers and have very little markup)

And if there is a problem, they are nearby for me to drop off for them to troubleshoot with.

Plus their salespeople are informative without trying to upsell much. (Hell I think the last box I ordered, I had to upsell to them a little. )

Comment

Working...
                    X