This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go through the whole catalog with me over the phone

Stopped in Big Ship Tools yesterday to pick up a few items to work on my bathroom remodel. Place was busy; they're having a really good sale this weekend.

I also had a return, so I get in line as soon as I get there. Cashier is on and off hold with a suckstomer who has a lot of questions about items on sale. She needed a manager to answer a couple of questions and he was busy. She gets back on the line to answer that question when it's my turn at the counter. I don't mind this at first, but the conversation goes on. And on. And on. And on.

Basically, the customer starts asking her to describe this that and the other item over the phone because he's not sure "I want to drive all the way down there."

Seriously. He was talking loud enough for me to hear him.

Jeez, dude. Get your lazy ass in the car and just come down here. Don't shop over the phone unless you're calling the 1-800 number.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

I've gotten customers like this sometimes, I will usually hint several times for them to come into the store so we can show them, once I just outright said I had customers in the store waiting but I've been known to lie and tell them that I can't go to x website to look up whatever information they want. I am not a phone in catalog or google service.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Store manager at a department store I used to work at told us if it comes between choosing between someone in the store and someone on the phone, you take care of the person in the store. Because they took the time to get in their car and come over there.
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
        between someone in the store and someone on the phone, you take care of the person in the store.
        Damn right. You don't have to be rude to the person on the phone, but you DO NOT coddle them over the person right in front of you.

Comment

I had a complaint made against me about something similar once,

"Can you check to see if you have these DVDs in?"
          "It'll be about 5-10 minute wait before I can do that as I have quite a queue here, if you'd like to hold"
          "How dare you! I made the effort to call up, I demand customer service"
          "Unfortunately for you, people who make the effort to come into the store take priority"

I really did it give a sh*t that day.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
            Store manager at a department store I used to work at told us if it comes between choosing between someone in the store and someone on the phone, you take care of the person in the store. Because they took the time to get in their car and come over there.
            Which is my philosophy as well. I have no time at all for the "shop by phone" people.

It's "We have a large selection of rugs with the color you want in the size you want. Come on in to check them out."

Or "We have a wide variety of TVs by (brand name), (brand name) and (brand name). They all have subtle differences in picture quality; we'd be happy to help you pick out the perfect one when you come visit our store."

The person in the store actually made the trip out. The person on the phone may be trying to get out of making the trip. But try explaining this to the bubbleheaded customer service manager who wants us to spend time with people on the phone because "they are potential customers."
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The cashier ended up handing the call to the manager, who was still on the phone when I left.

I like this store, and the customer service is really good, but I see a lot of suck in here.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                But try explaining this to the bubbleheaded customer service manager who wants us to spend time with people on the phone because "they are potential customers."
                While ignoring the actual customer right in front of you. Sure. That makes perfect sense.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post

Jeez, dude. Get your lazy ass in the car and just come down here. Don't shop over the phone unless you're calling the 1-800 number.
                  And if you are calling the 1-800 number at least have some sort of idea of what you are looking for. Call centers agents tend to have average handle times. When you call a company that sells "party supplies, crafts, novelties, etc." and ask them what stickers they have but don't have a clue if you want roll stickers, sticker sheets, sticker scenes any particular type of theme, you will be directed to the web site or have a catalog mailed to you (which may have if you are lucky 10-20 different stickers we sell listed). Even if every other call on my shift was a 10 second "oops wrong number", I would go over the AHT describing about 400 stickers in the novelty section, about 100 in the teacher reward section, 200 some in the sticker scene section...and then there is the favor stickers that can be personalized for weddings/birthdays/etc.

(And yes, I did actually have somebody once want me to list off every sticker we have even after I told them we had hundreds of different ones)

Comment

I've had customers do that to me. One memorable one was when I had just started, and a regular, and annoying one at that, called, and wanted me to tell her what was new since she had been in last. Um, first of all, I have NO CLUE when you were in, secondly, I'm only PT, so even if you tell me, I was in 3 days ago, I really couldn't tell you what was out then vs. what's out now.

She got kind of snotty with me and I finally passed her off to a manager, who knew her (I really didn't) but how about you just come in and see?

Or I'll get calls, usually during our sale, asking if we have any of x item in y size left. Again, i'm not going to go and look at each and every one, and list them. Its sale, so the selection is pretty well picked over. One item, sure, I'll be happy to look for you, esp if you are specific, but when you simply want to know what colors we have in your size, nope, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                    X