X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You should've known!

So this just happened...
    I was at my local convenience store, which is run by a lovely middle-eastern couple and their daughters, when I overhead voices getting louder, and then saw a boyfriend pushing his girlfriend away and out the door, both shouting over their shoulders.
    She was still trying to argue, and he was both placating her, and telling her to just leave, while she shouted at the man who was sort-of arguing back.

Not knowing what was going on, I just sort-of stood there bemused, then walked towards the checkouts, where the man, his wife & daughter all stood there looking frazzled. They saw me and immediately all began apologizing.

He offered to explain what had happened - apparently, the girlfriend walked around the aisles and then came to the checkout and put two identical bottles (of water I think) down. He scanned and then charged her for both - at which point she exploded.
    Apparently she'd bought the other one elsewhere, and went off at him for charging her for both!
    "How was I supposed to know?" he asked, and I laughed to put him at ease and agreed. I just stood there giggling a bit, saying to the daughter
    "I'm trying to see it from her point of view, but...!" and kept laughing to help them relax. But honestly!

After I left, I wondered if maybe she was shoplifting one of the bottles? As it seemed like a really weird situation; and a bit of "methinks the lady doth protest too much".
    Who buys something then goes to another shop & buys the identical item at the same time?! Not to mention, then puts them down at the register together & expects to be charged only for one....
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

If the bottle she (supposedly) brought in were obviously half-empty from having been drunk before the girlfriend came in, that'd be one thing, but if you bring in any sort of food or drink from another store into the one you're currently shopping in, it's pretty damn stupid to plunk it down on the counter while paying for your other purchases. Just hold the fucking thing.

Comment

I used to get this a lot. Someone would buy a bottle or something from another shop, but they'd put that item with the items they were buying at my till... then get mad when I'd pick the item up and try to scan it...

WE. ARE. NOT. PSYCHIC. YOU. ARE. STUPID. GET IT???

Comment

But, see, since the world does revolve around me, and everyone only exists to satisfy my needs, you should already know everything about me, including what I buy where.

Fucking solopsists.
        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

WE. ARE. NOT. PSYCHIC. YOU. ARE. STUPID. GET IT???
          Great sig material.

I suppose if the customer wanted 2 of something and the last store she visited only had 1, she might have gone somewhere else for the 2nd, but....nah. If I have to think too much to come up with a possibility, I go with the easy one: She was trying to pull a scam.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
            I used to get this a lot. Someone would buy a bottle or something from another shop, but they'd put that item with the items they were buying at my till... then get mad when I'd pick the item up and try to scan it...
            On occasion I need to measure some product in the store to see if it will fit where I need to put it, so I bring in a tape measure. I own 2 tape measures that I use for this purpose - one Craftsman, one Mastercraft. If I'm shopping at Sears, I bring the Mastercraft. If I'm shopping at Canadian Tire, I bring the Craftsman. If I'm shopping anywhere else, I grab the first one that's handy. Why is the brand of tape measure significant? Simple - Craftsman is a Sears "house brand", and Mastercraft is a a Canadian Tire "house brand", so I'm deliberately bringing (and using) a tape measure of a brand that the store doesn't sell. That way, it's clear that it's MY tape measure, and not one I picked off the shelf to use in-store.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
            X