This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone suck (MiM sighting)

So a bit of background: at Hubby's work as a security patrol, the patrol phone is everything. Not only do alarm dispatches come through text and email, but they also use their phone to access some buildings and need to swipe it at checkpoints to provide evidence to the client that yes, they did their scheduled patrol at that site.

Apparently, their old phone was getting old and battered, so someone near the top of the food chain decided to get a new phone. Unfortunately, they didn't tell anyone.

So last night Hubs grabbed the old patrol phone which looked like it was working fine (it was still attached to the office WiFi at that point) and apparently it worked fine for his first site. At his second site, he went to the app to let him into the building he needed in and...the list of sites in the app was empty. So he tried to call the office, and was met with a recording that the device he was calling from was deactivated.

So he used his personal cell to call his supervisor, who met him back at the office. The supervisor knew nothing about a new phone, either. They saw an unclaimed phone sitting on a desk though, so on a hunch his super called the patrol phone and the new mystery phone rang.

So great, right? Except...this new phone wasn't loaded with any apps they needed. That was simple enough to fix at least. However, email also wasn't set-up, and no one knew the password. They called both bosses who gave them several passwords to try each, and none of them were right. This is important because while initial alarm dispatches will still come through text (basically when and where), the details of those alarms come through email (more detailed client info, which alarm, what type of alarm, etc).

So yeah, thanks to all that BS Hubs basically started two hours late. His supervisor helped him catch up but he still wasn't able to hit all his sites and he was very grumpy when he came home.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Typical. Someone up the chain made a decision and carried it out, and neglected to tell the people who actually have to use that phone anything about it. They will probably excuse it with, "Oh, I didn't know the tech guys set that new phone up already." Meaning, they'll find someone else to blame.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I've worked in too many places where the attitude seems to be "let's make a major change and fix what it breaks over the next couple of weeks."

For some reason, it's hard to get them to test things first...
      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Not in the industry, but my initial reaction is that the PROPER way to do the change is:

- Make the new phone "live"
        - Inform the peons
        - During the transition period, the peons take BOTH phones. Texts/e-mails are sent to both, and the system flags any uses of the old phone for followup (as in "what went wrong with the new phone so that you had to use the old one?").
        - Transition period continues until the old phone has not been used for a specified period of time (i.e. it is now known that the new phone works).
        - Get rid of the old phone.

Of course this is a rule #1 violation (i.e. "If it makes sense, then it isn't allowed").
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

"For some reason, it's hard to get them to test things first..."

My cousin made a zillion bucks as a computer consultant who was called in by the high mucky-mucks when the system wasn't working right for some mysterious reason...

She said that, more than 99% of the time, the problem was that the aforementioned mucks and the salesman decided what to buy, and never asked the people who would, you know, be using it!

I'd guess your corporate folks are NOT in the 0.0001%!
          I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
          - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Working...
          X