This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One penny!

A customer bought a paper-crafting machine for $249.99 and handed me $250.00. I owed her a penny. Opened the drawer, grabbed the penny (or so I thought), shut the drawer, handed her the receipt and...whoops, no penny!

She, of course, demanded her penny. I went to the manager who was ringing on one of the other tills and asked if he had a penny, but he was up to his ears in a tricky sale and didn't have a moment to spare. Customer came up to me and said, "We'll just leave without it for now, but you remember us and fix it next time!"

Yes, I goofed, I admit it. I honestly don't know how it happened, what caused my brain to short-circuit and think I'd pulled a penny out of the drawer when I hadn't. But it's still one freaking cent! If it was a more substantial amount, say, a quarter, I could see the irritation, but one penny! If she looked around, she'd probably find two or three out in the parking lot or on the sidewalk. And remember her?! I serve hundreds of customers a day! I can't remember what they all look like or what they want!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

I was so confused, then I realized you're state doesn't have sales tax. Heh. At my store that would have cost $271.74. Anyway, serious, what's a penny? I'd be happier not to have it. A quarter yes. I use them for the laundry. I've been yelled at over a penny, though. Something was "supposed" to be $1.99, and it was coming up at $2.00. She was buying one yard. I nearly overrode it in the handheld just to make her stop, but the SIGN said $2, so I didn't.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

This is the most ridiculous "request" any sucktomer has ever made. I'm so glad I don't work at one of those stores. They bring out the crazy.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

One more reason why Canada has eliminated the penny....
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

But it's the principle of it! *shakes fist*

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
            One more reason why Canada has eliminated the penny....
            And I, for one, don't miss that blasted coin in the slightest.
            my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
            it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

I've done that a time or two, punched in my "no sale" to wait for a CSM so I can open the drawer back up, but most people tell me not to worry about it.

Speaking of pennies, I was thinking that since apparently it costs too much for us to make them these days, can we just have all the pennies left over from Canada?

Personally, I love change because I save it all up in a jar and then when it's full I take it to the Coinstar machine. Hubby and I paid for Christmas one year that way (plus a few other things) because we had about $1200 saved up in change.
              Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Let us know if they come back for the penny.
                They obviously need it more than your store.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                  But it's the principle of it! *shakes fist*

Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth MelindaJoy77 View Post
                    Speaking of pennies, I was thinking that since apparently it costs too much for us to make them these days, can we just have all the pennies left over from Canada?
                    We're already getting them (I regularly find the stupid things in the drawers and gumming up the Coinstar).

Can they still be exchanged anywhere? Our Canadaland fund has a few dollars worth and I'd love to convert them into something useful.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

We sometimes get Canadian pennies in the rolls straight from the bank. But the awesome part is that if we send a few back to the bank with a deposit, they make a note and minus it from the deposit total.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

It's a freaking penny, the customer needs to calm down or else she'll have a heart attack one of these days.

Comment

It's a bit amazing how fast the penny has disappeared up here. I was looking in the charity jars at the cash at McD's, and they are full of silver now; not a penny in sight (but an occasional gold loonie or a rare toonie)

Comment

Working...
                          X