Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was totally not expecting that (or "Random shit my archery coach says")

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was totally not expecting that (or "Random shit my archery coach says")

So I've begun a training regime under my "main" coach to help me get in shape for archery. I'm more "Rough around the edges" than anything. It's fairly basic: sit-ups, squats, push-ups, shoulder lifts, dead lifts (without weight) and either a run, power walk or skip.

One week after he sets said exercises, I rock up to the club for my lesson. I'm informed by one of his students that part of the warmup routine he sets for all of us AT the club is a 4km run . Thinking there's no way I could do that, I instead do about 6 laps going up and down the length of the range building (not across the range of course!). Said distance is around 85m or so (so I did about half a km run!)

Towards the end of one of my laps, coach arrives and sees me running. I go over and say hi and talk to him. Conversation goes like this:

Coach: I've noticed you running. Do you like it?
    Me: yeah, I'm enjoying it.
    Coach: YOu're determined I like that. Can I say something?
    Me: Ok
    Coach: You have good looking face. The more athletic you become, the more he'll like you.
    Me: Err OK

(For the record, this coach is Korean so English is not his first language, but it's pretty good)

Unfortunately that set the tone for the rest of the lesson as I kept corpsing SO MANY TIMES.

Thankfully this weekend's lesson is with the female coach (she works for him) so hopefully I won't corpse so much!
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

in other words he thinks you're doing this to impress a man.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
      in other words he thinks you're doing this to impress a man.
      Ugh. >.< I had actually told him that I was doing this for my focus and fitness. Although don't most girls who do things to impress guys deliberately screw up over and over so their guy can "help" them? I seem to be progressing nicely.

Comment

And a new one, although not to me.

One of the things that I like about the way he teaches things is that you go at your own pace. So there might be 8 of us training, but four of us are working on grouping, two of us are working on consistency, one of us is working on strength and one is working on technique with a stretch band.

Yesterday he was trying to explain to one of the female students about the fact that she had a tendency to grip the bow when she released (for the record, the bow is meant to "rest" on your hand so to speak...your hand is gently wrapped around it and is holding it, but isn't gripping it tightly) even with a finger sling. He wanted her to shoot and then let go of the bow completely to get over this tendency to tighten things up. She still gripped it hard for the first couple of attempts, so he tries to explain the feeling to her as follows:

Coach: think of it like you are peeing...your body just releases your pee, it doesn't tighten it up upon release. You might go to the toilet and tighten things up, but nothing happens, but when you let it go, it feels wonderful doesn't it?

Needless to say, this caused me, the student he was actually coaching at the time and another student to burst out laughing.

And my partner now reckons that my coach is hitting on me.

Comment

Another one from today:

Coach: I had another student, not an archery one. When she wouldn't focus, I would spank her.
          Me:

My brain pretty much went....zooom into the gutter. I had to wonder if his wife was OK with this! >.> (he's married with 2(?) children)

(I didn't tell him that if he did that to me at the range, he would get a kick to the nads for his efforts)

Comment

Working...
          X