Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We pay you $80K a year and you come up with THAT?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth raudf View Post
    500?! How is that comp even RUNNING?!
    I really wish I knew. Intel and AMD would pay for the nose for that info, I'm sure >_>

The scary thing is, he doesn't have appreciable slowdown aside from the occasional slow-to-open window and the usual drop in sped you get for leaving Windows open for a few days and never restarting. I mean, his CPU usage is absurd and his free RAM is practically nonexistent -- I don't even wanna about how much thrashing his hard drive must be doing to keep up with that (I upped his swapfile size and made it permanent years ago)...
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I know someone who doesn't understand what tabs are, so he has everything set to open a separate window... He'll just open and open windows until the computer runs so slow he reboots and starts over.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I'm guessing the whole 'keep tabs/windows to a minimum' thing is there for a couple of reasons. The first is that it's free to implement and the second is that it gives lower management a way to be 'proactive' in managing it when it inevitably ends in failure by bullying staff to have fewer and fewer windows/tabs.
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I'm guessing the whole 'keep tabs/windows to a minimum' thing is there for a couple of reasons
          It's the "go-to" for when you're in the habit of blaming staff for everything that goes wrong.

This is not to say that users don't screw up. I'm not even in IT and I've seen what a mess some people can make of their computers. But it's not helpful to tell someone who's genuinely having a problem that it's because "you have too many windows open" or "you clicked twice instead of once." Sometimes the answer is more complicated than that.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            [...] "you clicked twice instead of once." Sometimes the answer is more complicated than that.
            Ug, I have users who do this, though. If its not opening fast enough, double click it again. Windows really slows to a crawl when it is trying to open four copies of Outlook. It would be more, but at that point Windows has stopped paying attention to the clicks while jumping all those memory locations around.

Its almost funny to hear on phone support, though.

Me: All right, let's open up Outlook.

Phone: Okay! <click! click! click! clicky-click! clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick clickclick>
            Last edited by Geek King; 09-30-2014, 02:25 PM.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

The running fewer windows thing might almost be realistic except for the fact our computers tend to come to a screeching halt even when there's fewer than FIVE windows open.
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                GK - That's nothing. A friend of mine is of the type that prefers to keep Firefox tabs open for easy reference, rather than bookmark and close them when they're not going to be accessed anytime soon
                I have a friend who does this. She'll have 30+ tabs open in one window at any given time. You can't even tell what she has open because you can't read the titles on the tabs.

So I really don't see the point. I'll open about 8 at most; if I need to go back to something I'll go into the History to find the link and reopen it.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I actually made a couple of attempts to get him to ease up on the tabs -- he said that he "needed" them all open at once. No idea why, as I know quite well it wasn't for anything work-related. I think he simply preferred it that way. I gave up on that lost cause pretty quickly. He HATED having to reboot, too.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                    In corporate's defense, this is often because IT often can't (or doesn't bother to) quantify the benefits, ROI, or savings of those cures.
                    My guess would be 'doesn't know how to'. I know that I had no idea that sort of issue even existed, when I left university: I'm inherently/by nature a PURE geek. I was much, much more interested in understanding how logic gates work than the stuff they tried to teach us about getting on with coworkers or management.

A good IT manager/CTO is someone who can gradually train the 'young Seshats' of the world, and also interface between them and management. Get the 'young Seshat' to do the technical research, and specify the kinds of numbers she should calculate (that will quantify benefits, ROI, savings etc); and then rewrite her technically-focussed report into the management-focussed one that the suits understand.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      Checkmark's issue is probably an overloaded server, though.
                      This overloaded server's hauling too much freight
                      For racing into Cairo with an 8088

Sorry, but the pun was too tempting. Cookies for reference (and yes, I know it's another Egyptian city - or rather a city by the same name as an Egyptian city - in the original, but since Cairo was the code name for what later became Windows 95, I figured it made more sense). No YouTube links please - my machine can't run them.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                        500?! How is that comp even RUNNING?!
                        running? I don't think that computer is running, I don't even think it's crawling, it's probably sliding along on it's stomach doing about an inch an hour.
                        Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                        Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Here's one that recently happened at my workplace.

I just KNOW some highly paid individual or group of individuals (through meetings) came up with this.

I'm part of a team working on a project for a large foreign electronics company that sounds an awful lot like "pony".

Anyway, you know how sometimes they come up with project names?

The name they came up with? Bonsai.

No, I'm not kidding.

Now, I'm just a software guy, but I could have come up with a better name than that.

And it makes me think of this scene from a classic 1980's movie a few of you may have seen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYRvg0j5Xic
                          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

My favorite shortened name for a deployed site was ECOSUQZU. Someone at the head office is still bound be laughing over that one. However, I get having multiple tabs open. For instance, browsing forums like this. I'll hit the "show new posts" link and just open a tab for ones I want to read. When I'm finished reading the content of the forum posting, I close it and move on. I find it to be far easier than reading, clicking back, reading, clicking back, reading, etc.
                            But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                            And it's not what I wanted to be
                            The weight on me
                            Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Working...
                            X