This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids wanting things for free.

The past few years, I have been attending a 'primitive skills gathering' every fall. (Think a mix of homesteading, survivalists, hippies old and new, and a dash of new-agers for spice) It's an awesome time, really chill and fun. Lots of interesting seminars and fun people. Lots of folks bring the whole family, which I love because the kids get to run semi-wild and there is not an iPhone or video game system to be seen among 'em.

Then there's the trade blanket. I do a lot of different crafty stuff; knitting, crochet, jewelry, spinning, some sewing. I bring a ton of stuff to trade, and that is the whole point. Swapping the products of your skills with someone else's. There used to be a separate trade blanket for kids, but the really wanted in on the adult one so the past two years they've been combined. Usually it works really well. The kids score some cool stuff, and learn negotiating and communication skills.

However, it drives me up the wall when kids badger me for free stuff. With kids, I will trade for pretty much anything. I traded several young gals hand made stuffed toyed in exchange for wildflowers they picked. I traded a fairly complex pioneer doll for a crayon picture a young lady drew for me. (She was so excited cause the doll "Had red hair like Ann!!!") I traded a young boy a fan, two handmade hair combs with malachite decoration and a freshwater pearl pendant for a bar of soap (he was getting presents for his mom/aunt, the sweetie!). In general, I try to be nice and generous. As long as the young person put some minimum amount of effort into thinking of something to trade, I will trade them. Their effort for mine. But it never fails, they will harass me for free stuff. The first year I gave in and gave some beach glass jewelry to some 10 year old girls for free. They came back and demanded more pieces for themselves and pieces for "all their friends back at school!"

Worse is when parents do it too! I had one girl (about 8) bugging me for free jewelry. It was a nice pendant I had made with beach glass and wire. She finally had her father come over with a loonie, and he snarkily asked "Is this enough for you?" What a way to train future SCs!

I should mention, I don't mind if they ask me once or if they are really too young to understand. (Like barely toddling.)

Quoth Emmeileia View Post
    The past few years, I have been attending a 'primitive skills gathering' every fall. (Think a mix of homesteading, survivalists, hippies old and new, and a dash of new-agers for spice) It's an awesome time, really chill and fun. Lots of interesting seminars and fun people.
    That sounds like a really fun and wonderful time...
    Quoth Emmeileia View Post
    But it never fails, they will harass me for free stuff. The first year I gave in and gave some beach glass jewelry to some 10 year old girls for free. They came back and demanded more pieces for themselves and pieces for "all their friends back at school!"

Worse is when parents do it too! I had one girl (about 8) bugging me for free jewelry. It was a nice pendant I had made with beach glass and wire. She finally had her father come over with a loonie, and he snarkily asked "Is this enough for you?"
    ...so naturally, some self-centered entitlement whores have to ruin it all.

We can't have nice things, can we?
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Bummer!

Since it's a non-business setting, I would have been hard pressed to not respond to Snarky Dad with "You just don't get what this gather is all about, do you?" Really, who goes to something like that with an attitude? Sad.

Comment

"Dude, this is a TRADE blanket. Not a FREE blanket."

"And for you, it's five."

And it does sound like a wonderful experience, except for the freebie idiots.

Comment

Working...
        X