This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brain burped

A few weeks ago, I was serving a customer and halfway through the transaction, my brain shut off. One minute I was receiving the customers money, the next I was giving her that money back thinking that she'd given me a tenner and I was handing her back £4 in change. I'd bagged her stuff up already too but couldn't remember doing it. All I could think of was this mysterious tenner that kept bobbing up and down in my head. It was the only thing in my mind.

So when I handed the customer her change, she looked at me funny and then told me that she'd given me that to pay for a £4 item and that I'd even bagged it up and everything. So I looked at the screen and lo and behold, the transaction was up there. I hadn't even hit the sub-total button yet.

She asked me if I was okay and then we started talking about what had just happened. She was really nice about it, and it made me feel a little less embarrassed. But man, that played on my mind for ages afterwards. I don't really know what happened. I was having an anxiety flare-up at the time and could have just been my brain saying "Yeah, just give me a moment here!" but it's still kinda scary!

I was on the other end of such an issue this week. Got lunch at a "mass transit" sandwich place at an Aviator truck stop, and the total came to $10.24. Handed the guy a $20 and a quarter, he gave me back $10.24 in change. I caught it, and told him that the change should have been $10.01.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      I was on the other end of such an issue this week. Got lunch at a "mass transit" sandwich place at an Aviator truck stop, and the total came to $10.24. Handed the guy a $20 and a quarter, he gave me back $10.24 in change. I caught it, and told him that the change should have been $10.01.
      I'm wondering if this happens a lot then. I guess it could be the monotony of till work. Sometimes I don't really have to think, I just do it automatically. I'm just glad that you and my customer weren't devious, because there are people that would take advantage.

Comment

Reminds me of highway hypnosis. Probably not anything to worry about, or at least I hope not. I sometimes ask someone how much fabric a person wants, they tell me and I swear I'm listening, but just seconds later I have forgotten. It only seems to happen when there is a lot going on, so maybe I'm unconsciously listening to someone else.

The other day, when it was raining, I had my head down walking through the parking lot of my school... I walked straight into a bike rack. The kind that sticks out from the back of a car. Or SUV, in this case. It jolted me really hard, I'm a fast walker. I can just see it ending up on youtube...
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Oh man I've had that happen. One time I was in the middle of asking a customer if they wanted crackers or hot sauce to go with their chili and I said "Would you like hot sauce or..." I completely spaced out and then said "I am so sorry. I completely forgot what I was going to say uhm..." and then looked down at the tray for a moment and was like "Crackers!! Oh my gods I am so sorry. I completely blanked out for a moment. I am so sorry about that. Would you like any hot sauce or crackers?" My customer just reached over the counter and patted my hand and said "You're alright dear. Although I'm the old one here so I apologize for passing my memory problems on to you."

It tends to happen to me when we're extremely busy and I've got a million different things to do and keep track of running through my mind. I'll completely blank out on a word or an action for a moment and then apologize once my brain engages again.

Comment

I forgot how to count for a second one night, LOL. I don't know if it was overtiredness or what, but yeah, it's embarrassing.

Comment

Working...
            X