This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chug, Chug, Complain

One of the rules of my restaurant that I've come under fire for a lot for is how our water and drinks work. We can offer tap water with ice in a glass or bottled water. We hand out individual glasses, no jugs or anything. I have questioned on how stupid this is, and it goes both ways. We can get very busy sometimes so giving out jugs basically would run through the drinks we have in stock very quickly (we don't have soda taps). And jugs can let people serve themselves. Mostly though, it's up to the manager how things work.

Anyway, I've been in a few spots because of this.

First was a while back. It was Sunday and we were busy, a family of three (the mother especially) kept calling me to refill their water glasses. After about five minutes of my manager pulling me away to seat people, I finally did a top up, but not before the mum lost her patience.

When she asked me why we didn't hand out jugs, I said that we would have to pour out the leftovers because they were mixed in with the ice we made (Stupid reason, yes). She then said, in a very confused and outraged tone, that this was ridiculous.

In my head: "Look lady. I don't make the rules, I just follow them"

Second was a family of six, early in the shift. I had to man the bar and do some small jobs, so by the time I got back to the bar, the father was losing his patience. I apologised and got to their order of one glass of pineapple juice and one glass of orange juice.

As I plop the glasses onto the table, this happened:
    Father: (aggressively) "What's this?"
    Me: "Pineapple Juice?"
    F: "What about a jug?"
    Me: "No jugs, sorry."
    F: "Then how much is this?"

I'm gonna cut off here, but basically he exploded here and asked for the manager. This only made things worse. When the table ordered their food the father loudly said to not waste his time. After that, I think when he saw me looking like I was treating another table better, the family stormed out.

Next is the general overview of my situation right now. Whenever I put the drinks down, the customers just chug it down in one go then ask for a refill. On a busy day, the people who clear the tables also fill up the water and the hot water for the tea. So things get hairy very quickly. In fact last weekend, I had to run out in a fever and fill up the ice water. One table, when I finished the second half of the restaurant, was already finished with the water I poured thirty seconds ago.

This is just my personal opinion, but do people understand the concept of conservation? Yes, it's hot right now, but could you cut us waiters some slack? We're short-handed right now, so we can't handle everything (and by that I mean I personally have to do everything).

Thoughts? I really need to find a new job soon.

But

While I think that your place should offer jugs of tap water, like you say the rules are the rules. And if I am reading this right that tap water is FREE!

I have been to restaurants that do not serve free tap water, instead you have to pay for bottled water. The reason could be bad tap water, it could be just rules made up to make money, but there was no free water at-all. And those places also don't serve water from jugs.

Your customers need to go elsewhere and learn how lucky they were.

PS. I even know a restaurant that serves free tap water but I always order a bottle of cream soda instead. Why? Because their free tap water tastes awful.

Comment

Gosh, I must not eat out very much, because I can only think of one place which leaves pitchers of water on the table. It's a pizza place (which also has a salad bar) and you can reserve one of their large rooms for events, or to watch a big sports game. Anyway, the reason they give out jugs is because they don't have waitstaff. You order, they call it out, you bring it back to your table. The pitchers are nice when there's 10-15 people in the big room.

I can't think of a single restaurant with servers which leaves pitchers, unless it's beer. I think it's in the interest of the place to encourage people to order drinks?
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
        I can't think of a single restaurant with servers which leaves pitchers, unless it's beer. I think it's in the interest of the place to encourage people to order drinks?
        When my dad and I were dining out regularly, at a couple of our regular places they'd just leave us pitchers of water and tea. I think that had more to do with how much tea my dad and I would drink though...
        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I know some places leave the pitcher. They charge more for it, and no free refills.
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Jugs of water I get. I don't use them, but I understand them.

Pitchers of beer, okay. Pitchers of cocktails, sure!

Ordering a fruit juice & expecting a jug? ***error erROR Out Of Cheese - DOES NOT COMPUTE***
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
              ... ***error erROR Out Of Cheese - DOES NOT COMPUTE***
              Three dryad froog pylles.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
              X