This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's too damn cold in here!

I think most of our stores have two sets of doors; in between is a vestibule with the carts, baskets, "S-it" station, etc. This helps with clutter on the front end as well as (important to the tale) heating. We only have one set of doors. In theory it would be possible to build out, but we suspect that Corp doesn't think they need to spend money on the store (and Shithead doesn't want to try to get permits). There has also been no real heat on the front end for a few weeks--usually there is a hot-air curtain that kicks on whenever the doors open. One or both sets of doors break on a regular basis (they can't handle the low temps anymore and NEED to be completely replaced, I talked to the technician when he was last out here and they can't get parts anymore).

I've been fighting a cold that I probably got shortly after Thanksgiving when it was about 34 degrees in the front. I am NOT taking this crud on vacation with me; I actually took a sick day last weekend which is rare.

Shithead was asking mom if I was okay. She told him to ask me himself, and that I'm fine (albeit utterly fed up with various glitches that could probably be fixed if anyone was willing to show me how) but was trying to get over a cold that I probably caught from standing at SCO when it was 20 degrees out. P (a closing manager who I think is only sticking around because I'm there to keep her sane) has the exact same thing. She can't shake it because of the temperature fluctuations on the front; every time the door opens we're blasted with cold. Nobody working on the front is allowed to wear a hat (I haven't gotten any reply to whether it would be OK if it matches my shirt).

His reply: "Well she should be standing in the main aisle." That doesn't help; whoever's there gets a nice draft from both sets of doors when it's cold, wet or windy out. I've told him (and proven) that if I'm in the aisle I can't see SCO from the angle needed to stop a lot of funny business, and when it's busy if I'm in the aisle I can't move either (meaning I can't help customers; around here, if someone doesn't see help coming within 1/10 second, they WILL just walk off without paying).

Here's an idea: FIX THE DAMN HEAT. I've had customers complaining about it, and have told him so and encouraged them to say something as well.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    I've been fighting a cold that I probably got shortly after Thanksgiving when it was about 34 degrees in the front. I am NOT taking this crud on vacation with me; I actually took a sick day last weekend which is rare.
    Find out if there's an OSHA(in US) or other similar regulation on work environment temperatures(hint: there likely is)
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

If only they'd let you set a broken register on fire, like they did in the olden days...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've been trying to make SCs spontaneously combust...sadly no luck yet.

Right now I'm taking readings with my phone; the fluctuating outdoor temps make it hard (25 one day, 40 the next). Not sure if I'll have enough data to pass on to someone by the time I go on vacation, but I can at least tell F (manager with clout) that the heat needs to be fixed especially with the predictions that the second half of winter may be really bad.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Second the OSHA thing. New Manager told me this story of when she managed a store in a much colder state, which lost power. It was approaching freezing inside the store, and obviously was closed to the public. However corporate insisted she make the employees stay with coats on, and stock/recover. She sent the employees home, and was almost fired over it. The reason she wasn't was that the employees reported the conditions to OSHA. (See, she seems like a nice person sometimes!)

If nothing else, see if you can get a doctors note or something? They should not be able to prevent you from wearing a coat if it's their fault the doors are messed up.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
          X