This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wolfie View Post
    One of the big problems with eyewitness testimony is that in many cases, people will THINK they saw something when they actually didn't (not a deliberate lie, merely being mistaken).
    Very true. When I got a copy of my accident report, I was shocked to read the witness statements. Eight witnesses all gave different accounts. Two were just physically impossible. After reading it, I actually started to doubt my own recollection. Only two statements matched up with the physical evidence.

I no longer have much faith in eyewitness accounts. Got my first dash cam about six years ago. Will never drive without one. I figured they'd be standard equipment in cars by now.

Comment

Russia agrees with you. Aren't dashcams required over there now?
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
        Russia agrees with you. Aren't dashcams required over there now?
        Not required, but it lowers their premiums. Too many people were faking accidents as pedestrians, and the driver is ALWAYS found at fault in that case unless can be proved otherwise by means of something like a dashcam.
        But the paint on me is beginning to dry
        And it's not what I wanted to be
        The weight on me
        Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

I'd want a dashcam with no sound. Otherwise, it might catch me belting out Before My Body is Dry (Don't lose your waaaaaaaaay!~) or Hare Hare Yukai.
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Tonight, I will be using video evidence to head off a possible complaint. Short version: baby screaming her head off (right behind MY head), including the word "OWIE" over and over at 110 decibels. Mom says she's just trying to get attention. I finally told the mom that I don't do screaming kids... mom interpreted that as "GET OUT OF MY CAB." Not my intention, but at least I no longer had to deal with the screaming.

Quoth LillFilly View Post
            Which camera did you go with? It looks nice and crisp! Good sound too!
            Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
            Where did you buy your dash cam? I have seen reports of "Counterfeit" units being sold, which always concerns me.
            This one, from Walmart.
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Nice, $40, has a bike mount. I would add more memory (32Gb at least), but it is more affordable then I thought.
              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth SixFortyK View Post
                Very true. When I got a copy of my accident report, I was shocked to read the witness statements. Eight witnesses all gave different accounts. Two were just physically impossible. After reading it, I actually started to doubt my own recollection. Only two statements matched up with the physical evidence.

I no longer have much faith in eyewitness accounts. Got my first dash cam about six years ago. Will never drive without one. I figured they'd be standard equipment in cars by now.
                That often happens with eyewitnesses, especially if they are not interviewed in the correct way. People tend to fill in gaps in their own memories using whatever data or imagination is available; this is why leading questions is bad. For obvious reasons, it is also a very bad idea to allow witnesses to confer before (or while) their evidence is taken, or to allow one witness to listen to another's interview.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                  Nice, $40, has a bike mount. I would add more memory (32Gb at least), but it is more affordable then I thought.
                  Yeah, I put the card it came with into my phone and put the card I had in the phone (32gb) in the camera. I don't remember it coming with a bike mount, but I wasn't worried about bikes, I was worried about the windshield.
                  Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                  OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                  she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                  Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth SixFortyK View Post

Eye witness account are notoriously unreliable, and this has been well documented.

Audio or video evidence has its limitations, however. For example, it may not include a full record of what happened, if the camera was turned on after the event started, making it easy to take out of context.

Quality of the video also affects this. Resolution, field of vision, color vs black/white, audio no audio, and so on.

There was a cop who had a Go Pro in his cop car recently. He pulled over a guy for speeding, and things escalated; guy was uncooperative, made snarky remarks to the cop, tried to force his way out of the car and it was game on.

Turns out the speeder was a Lieutenant in IA.

Turns out the cop had a dash cam.

Lieutantant gets a promotion. Cop gets suspended for refusing to give the video to his superiors on the very thin excuse it was evidence in a crime (ignoring the fact cops routinely use their own cellphones to take such pictures, so a camera is really not much different).

http://www.crespogram.com/index_publ..._GONE_BAD.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5587710.html
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Here's my favorite video from my 15$ dash cam! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0zkr4jir4g

I haven't been able to set the date, and it needs to be plugged in because it doesn't seem to hold a charge, but takes a decent night picture and has sound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3215977...lpid=82&chn=ps

I also have a pair of recording sunglasses with interchangable lenses I got from Gander Mt; they work decent too.
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                      X