This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Kid!

Went to the warehouse store this afternoon. I always get a slice of cheeze pizza and a berry smoothie when I go (and I was starving for some reason, even though I'd had lunch 3 hours earlier). There's a kid, about 10 years old, standing in line ahead of me with a 20 clutched in his hand.

I'm not sure if the kid spoke English. His mom came up to him and spoke in a language I didn't recognize, but it sounded Slavic, then spoke to the guy at the counter in perfect American English, no accent at all. She wanted to know how much for a hot dog without the drink, the guy explained it was the same price either way.

Mom wasn't sucky about it. She just said OK, and he handed her a cup while the Mom took the twenty and handed the kid a one, a five, and some change, and then walked to the fountain.

Kid gets his hot dog, but walks away with the money clutched in his hand.

Guy tries to get kids attention, but kid doesn't hear him or maybe understand him. He asks if I'll get him to come back and pay, and of course I say yes.

Before I can round the corner, the kid is coming back with Mom in tow. Mom's shaking her head, "he forgot to give the guy the money, and I don't know why I gave him a five!"

Kid pays the man, everyone has a good laugh. Kid looks bewildered, so I'm really thinking the poor guy doesn't speak English.

The guy at the counter was good natured about it. He told me if the kid hadn't come back he would have just paid for it himself.

I told him I'm glad the kid did come back; I understand the need for the till to be right, but he shouldn't have to pay for other people's food. It was really nice of the guy not to make a big deal out of it, too. Especially because another customer had just cussed him out before I hit the line.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.
Working...
X