Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't even work there, but I ruined a christmas..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't even work there, but I ruined a christmas..

Little background for those who are new to the forum. There are days that my legs just sometimes refuse to work. There are days in which I even need help dressing. It is not something I am happy about, but I think I do pretty good in being self reliant. It makes me feel terrible when I do need to ask for help. Also, I look healthy, even if I am not..if I don't have my cane or walker, most people can not tell that a thing is wrong with me.

Yesterday after I had said good night to Marmalady, I decided to be a bit naughty and go get some eggnog (diabetic, so not good for me.. but I digress). I got to the store, got into the door of Walmart, when pain raced up my legs indicating that my legs were done for the day...even if I was not. So, I had to take advantage of the electric carts. Since my legs were done, all I was going to do is go to the information desk or nearest CSM and let them know that I had to take it to my car, and would not be able to bring it back. My caretaker (my mom) was somewhere off in the store, and had no clue what was going on.. and I just didn't want to abandon it in case somebody needed it.

I had got like 10' in the store when this young girl, I would guess about 10-11 years old. Come racing past me, happy that she was going to get to 'Ride the scooters!'. I thought it was cute. I was about to even tell her that she could have the one I was on when I was done with it..

A sudden booming voice says "You! Young man!" (I am 40, but do not look it). "My daughter needs that cart." I turned around and saw this woman who I swear looked like my math teacher in 5th grade..one I had nightmares about because she would smack my hand with a ruler for the least little thing. Anyhow..

I was about to tell this woman, that if she would follow me out to the car, I would be HAPPY to give it up. Then I wouldn't have to bother the employees. I tend to try to avoid confrontations if I can.. but what was said next ended that quickly. "I swear a perfectly healthy guy like you, taking the carts from those who really need it." (She had walked around to infront of me, waving a boney finger at me).

"You mean .. from the young girl jumping up and down in excitement a few minutes ago.. who is right now tugging on your sleeve.. and looking embarrassed?"

"Why I never.. she needs it more then YOU do."

Which I am sad to say, was when nice Mytical decided to take a lunch break, and let the Mytical that has NO brain to mouth filter run things. The minute she saw my expression change, she took a step back (For some reason I have that effect on people).. but wasn't about to change her Holier then thou bit. "I am done here." I said, and was trying to get past her before the last of my 'give a care' went away..

Would I be posting this if it had stopped there. Of course not. The woman said "You WILL get up and let my daughter have the scooter."

I.. won't repeat what I said, but I will say that afterwards the woman was as white as a ghost, and looking somewhat like a fish out of water. The thing is the whole time her daughter, bless her, was saying "No mommy, I can wait." and tugging on her mothers sleeve... well her mother's brain must have done the Blue Screen of Death.. because she was sputtering and stuttering.. trying to say something.. I didn't stick around to find out what.. I proceeded with what I was going to do in the first place, leaving her looking at me as if I had three heads and was breathing fire.

I don't curse often, and I HATE that I cursed in front of a child. I have no brain to mouth filter..I think it I say it. The employees were a little..skittish about approaching me when I got to the customer service desk..but were nothing but kind and efficient. I got out to the vehicle, one of the employees took the cart back..and I sat in the card feeling absolutely horrible for that little girl...all because her mom decided that she knew anything about me.

Sorry lol forgot the most important part. Apparently I ruined the little girls Christmas by refusing to give up the scooter.. Now how that works... I ... don't know.
    Last edited by Mytical; 12-24-2014, 06:20 AM.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

So many times I have wished I could be with you, but what I wouldn't have given to be there right then. That woman would have known what Mama Bear looks like.

(and I know you'd feel bad about swearing in front of a child, but if that's the way her mother usually treats other people, it's probably not the first time she's heard swear words)
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Momma needs to dump the attitude and learn to wait. And not judge other people she doesn't know.

And I'm getting the impression the girl didn't really need a scooter to get around, she just wanted to drive it...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
        And I'm getting the impression the girl didn't really need a scooter to get around, she just wanted to drive it...
        Gee, the fact that she was "jumping up and down in excitement" might be a clue...

What a bitch. I mean, if she herself were handicapped and needed it, that would be one thing, but just to let her hyperactive brat joyride it around the store? Fuck YOU, lady.

Comment

I'm dying here... if you don't want to post what you said, how about PMing it?

Comment

Ditto that! I want to know as well!

Comment

If it's anything like me when I drop my brain to mouth filter I can imagine just how the blue Mytical's language was! I tend to get rather, um, verbose and colourful when I lose it at somebody who richly deserves being put in their place. I know it sucks that it happened in front of a child, but I sort of get the feeling that this is not the first time it may have happened to this wonderful excuse of a parent.

I was always taught that the wheelchairs and electric scooters that stores provided were for people who actually need them, and I would never in a million years question a person in one of those things unless I knew for a fact that they didn't actually need them. They are not toys and no child should be taught that they are toys.

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                If it's anything like me when I drop my brain to mouth filter I can imagine just how the blue Mytical's language was! I tend to get rather, um, verbose and colourful when I lose it at somebody who richly deserves being put in their place. I know it sucks that it happened in front of a child, but I sort of get the feeling that this is not the first time it may have happened to this wonderful excuse of a parent.

I was always taught that the wheelchairs and electric scooters that stores provided were for people who actually need them, and I would never in a million years question a person in one of those things unless I knew for a fact that they didn't actually need them. They are not toys and no child should be taught that they are toys.
                Not to mention, *in general* if a kid has a chronic health issue that requires some form of mobility assistance, they tend to have their own as they frequently need specialty stuff that is not adult sized. If they need a scooter for something as short as a shopping trip, they probably need one for getting around in school ... and have their own kid sized scooter or power chair, or wheelchair. Heck, my custom folding crutches are from a company that originated making custom mobility goodies for kids. [hence the ability to get them in all sorts of whacked colors and color combinations. I chose purple =) ]
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

What... Yelled at because mom wants kid to "play" on it? I think my brain BSOD on this one. I know more than one person who looks fine but isn't, and has told me stories of being yelled at for taking handicap spots, etc. I know it happens, but I'm always blown away when I hear about it.

I haven't been to that particular store in years (this location is NOT cheaper, and on the other side of town, and I also have reasons that would go into fratcheting) but no matter my someone harsh views of it, it seems horribly low even for there.

Also, I know you feel bad about swearing, but... I don't think anyone could fault you in this case.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Even though I know better, I am still trying to wrap my mind about the logic that somehow not getting a scooter ruined a christmas. I don't think I can can do the mental gymnastics required. Heck I don't think Mary Lou in her prime could do that good of gymnastics..

Wait.. I just proved how ancient I am by bringing up Mary Lou Retton .. didn't I?
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

When I worked at the wholesale club, the FDLP guys controlled access to those scooters. They required a key to operate, and we kept the keys and only gave them out to people with a genuine need.

You say you're too tired and you want a scooter? Sorry, "too tired" is not a valid reason to take one of our scooters.

Your kids want to play on the scooter? Sorry, they are not toys, they are for our customers with genuine mobility issues.

We caught some flak from Sucktomers who didn't like that we told them "no," and there was one instance in which a Sucktomer was rebuffed by my supervisor, and-- having talked to me previously-- tried to get me to override my supervisor. He ended up going to Manglement, who overrode us, but we at least stood firm on it.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Wow. I'm appalled at this... woman's (using the term lightly) behaviour. I'm sorry you had to deal with someone so monstrous!

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                          Not to mention, *in general* if a kid has a chronic health issue that requires some form of mobility assistance, they tend to have their own as they frequently need specialty stuff that is not adult sized. If they need a scooter for something as short as a shopping trip, they probably need one for getting around in school ... and have their own kid sized scooter or power chair, or wheelchair. Heck, my custom folding crutches are from a company that originated making custom mobility goodies for kids. [hence the ability to get them in all sorts of whacked colors and color combinations. I chose purple =) ]

In general, maybe, but not always. It can be very difficult to get insurance companies to pay for mobility equipment for sporadic issues. My youngest son has his own wheelchair, but my oldest, who has the same bone disease, but is not as badly affected, does not. There are times when he really does need those scooters in the stores, since he can't get his own chair.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                            I.. won't repeat what I said, but I will say that afterwards the woman was as white as a ghost, and looking somewhat like a fish out of water.
                            Well... Darn! I would've liked to hear it! It must've been epic!

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                              Wait.. I just proved how ancient I am by bringing up Mary Lou Retton .. didn't I?
                              Ancient? I was in college when Mary Lou Retton was born. I don't consider myself ancient, yet.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X