This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gifts for a mum-to-be!

So I've mentioned already that my boss is preggers, she's 21/22 weeks along (at least that's what she told my CW).

She'll most likely go on maternity leave around March/April (She'll be due in April). I believe she's planning on telling the kids we care for (we work in before and after-school care) when we go back to school (we're both based in one school for the term, then another for the holidays).

So my question is: what the hell do I get her? Alternately, is there anything the kids can/could do for her beyond the obligatory card-signing? I'm trying to avoid getting her nappies (diapers for you Yanks ) or clothing since her kid will grow through them quick. I know she's having a boy.

Any suggestions?

ETA: the ideas I've gotten so far are great, but one more I forgot to add: I don't want to get her bottles as I am unsure if she's breastfeeding or not and it's not exactly something I want to bring up in polite conversation the evil part of me wants to give her meat (she's developed an aversion to meat)
    Last edited by fireheart; 01-11-2015, 07:07 AM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

My favorite baby gift I ever received was a small laundry basket filled with things like small sizes of dish soap, laundry detergent, paper towels, toilet paper, ziplock baggies and other household odds and ends. It also had small baby things that get used a lot like nappies (you can NEVER get too many nappies), bibs, urp rags, and other small things. The point of the first set of stuff was for an "Ooops, I ran out and I'm too tired to go to the store!" supply of everyday household things that you tend to use more of in the first few weeks of having a baby. I loved the gift, and have put together something similar for almost every baby I've given a gift to since then, and all the mothers have loved it as well.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I was given something similar to that when I had my son, and as far as I was concerned it was worth its weight in gold - as you say, MN, in those first few weeks there are a LOT of those 'just too tired' moments....

Another thing that I like to do for expectant mums is to give them something for themselves as well as the baby - something a bit luxurious, if possible. When you've been up several times in the night, you're still sore and you can't work out how you can be this tired without falling over, a bath with some gorgeous oil or bubbles in it can be one way of recharging those batteries a little.
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Thanks guys for the ideas so far.

Question: would it be tasteless at all to put out the call to kids at the service for this stuff? I want to set up a "group" gift from all of us and I plan on getting my RM and some of the school staff in on this so it's kept "secret."

Comment

If you make it clear that it's going to be a gift from the kids, and that each kid is asked (not expected, asked) to donate one item to the basket, it should be absolutely fine.
          All but the poorest households can afford to provide some travel-sized or sample-sized basic household toiletry!
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I wouldn't think it tasteless to give the kids and their parents a chance to pitch in for a mom to be gift for your boss. Think I'd maybe make up a list of small items you want to include and suggest that no more than $5 be spent on items on the list for each parent who chooses to participate, then once you see what you've got you can fill in the gaps and/or add a few more expensive items.

I'd also suggest including a couple of purely personal luxury items, the bath bubbles/oil is a good one. Maybe also think about including one or two gift cards for local eateries (especially ones that will deliver!).
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

How about some books? The kids can pick out some of their favorite titles. I don't know if that's something that people would think of. I know that when my nieces and nephews were growing up I gave them books when they were younger.
              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I always give books for babies. Board books (I like Sandra Boynton) or classic picture books that the baby can grow into. I like to find some sort of theme and include a small toy as well (usually a stuffed animal).

The best baby shower gift I saw was when my old store manager was pregnant. The other managers put together a group gift (it's kind of expensive to do). They got a wicker hamper and a length of clothesline and little baby clothespins, and pinned baby stuff to it - onesies, socks, hats, washcloths, shirts, pants..., then coiled it all up inside the hamper. It was really cute, and it stretched across the whole length of the breakroom.

Also, I second (third? whatever..) the bath or other pampering products for mom. I did that for my friend; a little gift set of "spa" bath products and some tea. She needs it, and most people don't think of that when getting baby shower gifts.
                Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 01-11-2015, 10:14 PM.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I always give at least one book- not one of the generally accepted 'classics' because that's what everyone will get them, but one I personally love.

And everyone will be getting the cute outfits etc, so I agree with the suggestion of practical stuff- diapers, wipes, lotion, breastfeeding supplies like nursing pads if she's dong that, and maybe something for the mom too, like nice-smelling lotion. All that stuff will be used right away, while often people buy outfits a size or so ahead.
                  https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

You've got some really good ideas there; she should be very pleased, and the kids will love having a chance to help.

I always give crib-sized quilts; I make them, after all.

Comment

I'll talk to my RM when I see her next about the idea and ask her to do some of the background networking when bosslady breaks the news.

The plan would be that the kids drop off their item to the front office and it's hidden out of sight by the front office lady. Then I'd go and collect it on my way out in the mornings and put it all together. (I leave before she does, so it's easy for me to sneak things out )

Comment

I always give diapers, and wipes. Then I go get something like lotion or a giftcard to somewhere I know they like. Its been awhile since I had a baby shower to go to though

Comment

If you give diapers, give lots of sizes too! I can't tell you how grateful I was to already have the next size up in diapers when I realized he had outgrown his current size.
                          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

These are all good ideas!

One thing I absolutely loved when I had my babies was a "meal". Put together a basket (like a picnic size basket) and put things in it that will make a quick meal. Such as: spaghetti noodles, spaghetti sauce in a jar, garlic bread, parmesan cheese, and a bagged salad. The spaghetti, sauce & garlic bread can be quickly heated, and the salad provides some additional nutrients. Obviously because of the salad, this needs to be done close to the due date.

Another idea is a gift card to a pizza place or other type of restaurant that delivers, along with a menu. Mom can call for a delivered meal at her leisure and even the tip can be covered by the gift card. Since you've included a menu, Mom can choose what she & other family members want to eat that day.

Yet another option is coupons for babysitting or maid service, provided by you of course. Since Mom might feel awkward asking to use a coupon on a particular day, make the coupons dated, in that you will call her between these dates and insist that she use the coupon that day - or in a date that week.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                            X