This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did what???? (long)

In over 20 years, I have never dealt with anything like this.

My boss’s boss called me and said that someone had complained that the vehicle I had been driving was swerving all over the lanes on the Interstate, and that I had almost sideswiped someone. I denied all the accusations. My boss said, “I didn’t think that sounded like you, but I had to follow up on it. Would you mind if I got this person on a three way and we both speak to her?” I agreed.

Ugh! She sounded like Hilary Swank’s mother in Million Dollar Baby. She called herself Mrs. _____, and said that she is a “doctor of psychiatry” (she pronounced it “si-kee-AT-tree”). Boss let her speak her accusations, and then asked my side. Before I had said two sentences, she was already trying to talk over me. I ignored her, and kept talking. (You can tell when I am REALLY angry, because I begin speaking in precise clipped syllables). When I mentioned slander, she suddenly said, “I don’t got time for this!” and hung up.

I never got the chance to say the next thing on my mind, which was: You call yourself Mrs. _____, but say that you are a doctor of, what did you call it, sikeeatree? If I had a doctorate degree, I would introduce myself as Doctor ____. You also say that like I should be impressed or scared. Which college did you get that doctorate from? Come on, come on, no hesitating!

Boss’s boss believes me, so no problems there. Sigh. Some people’s children. Why would anyone do this?

People like that are why I want a bumper sticker like my uncle used to have on his truck.

"How's my driving? Call 1-800-EAT-SHIT"
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Dytchdoctir View Post
      Why would anyone do this?
      As a certain lizard put it: "Easy money." -- When she discovered that your boss didn't cave immediately, she smelled defeat (or possibly just her own shit, and realized that it does, indeed, stink), and ran like the wind.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

“I don’t got time for this!”
        Yep, there's a sure sign of someone with a degree.

In ignorance.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Dytchdoctir View Post
          If I had a doctorate degree, I would introduce myself as Doctor ____.
          Most people with doctorates that are not M.D.'s don't call themselves Dr in their day to day lives. My bf has a Ph.D is biophysics, and prefers his first name to be used, and "Mr. Lastname" if there's a need to be formal. He's pretty typical of Ph.D. holders that don't work in universities.

At any rate, I'm glad your boss has your back and doesn't just randomly believe stupid, lying non-customers looking for a payout.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
            At any rate, I'm glad your boss has your back and doesn't just randomly believe stupid, lying non-customers looking for a payout.
            This exactly!

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
              Most people with doctorates that are not M.D.'s don't call themselves Dr in their day to day lives.
              IF she's a psychiatrist (which I share the general skepticism about), she would be an MD. They're required to graduate from medical school, then train in that specialty.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Yeah, she picked a bad degree to lie about. You got your basic psychology training, with your medical training, plus picking your specialty. Someone tells you they have a doctorate psychiatry, ask them what their thesis was about. You might be able to bluff something up for some doctorate degrees, but psychiatry is a bit harder to fudge.
                Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

Quoth Latekin View Post
                  Yeah, she picked a bad degree to lie about. You got your basic psychology training, with your medical training, plus picking your specialty. Someone tells you they have a doctorate psychiatry, ask them what their thesis was about. You might be able to bluff something up for some doctorate degrees, but psychiatry is a bit harder to fudge.
                  I have a friend who did something with developmental psychopathology. I did occasional random quizzes when she was developing data sets. I took sociology as a minor. I figured it would help with the political science that was my major if I decided to go into professional politics. I figured that I would probably do something about gender issues of women in traditionally male professions if I decided to go further. I could use myself as a case study - I worked for 7 years and did an apprenticeship in an old school machine shop - you want to talk about a male dominated profession? I think later when I was working for Henze-Movats doing nuke plant refits I was one of like 20 females in the entire industry that *wasn't* a health physics tech. [n the oddly plus side, it made shit like ditching the manual cleaning and renovation of a bucket of bolts for the YF filter bundle flanges and using a couple pounds of coffee to bribe the guys in the machine shop to let me use the shop for the job and finishing it in an hour instead of all day way easier. Working at the nuke plant in Asheville, all the good old southern boys were thrilled to help the little lady out ] Rob jokes I am like the quote in Long Kiss Goodnight
                  Mitch Henessey: What I'm saying is, back when we first met, you were all like "Oh phooey, I burned the darn muffins." Now, you go into a bar, ten minutes later, sailors come runnin' out. What up with that?
                  I spent way too much time with men to be comfortable in an all female work environment, I ain't got time to deal with the typical female bullshit. I am not going to sweet talk idiots, put up with cat fighting, or sugar coat anything. I am going to assume that you have the same brains that I got issued and deal straight.
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Some people are so vile. She obviously saw your vehicle, with the company name on it and the phone number, and your reg number and made up a pack of lies to try and get you into trouble. Why are people so cruel?

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                      I spent way too much time with men to be comfortable in an all female work environment, I ain't got time to deal with the typical female bullshit. I am not going to sweet talk idiots, put up with cat fighting, or sugar coat anything. I am going to assume that you have the same brains that I got issued and deal straight.
                      Huh. I don't have the experience you do (time-wise) but going from a workplace which is completely female dominated, to a workplace with one female (me) then to school where usually I'm the only female, I'd say the men are often more whiny, catty, and gossipy. I don't notice much gossip at my work. (Except about New Manager, but I digress) The guys at my old job and now at school give me crap just like everyone else. Sometimes they open doors for me, which I find creepy as hell. But I'm far removed from the South.

Once, at the roofing co, someone called to say a guy in our van had just speed past a bus stop full of children! We had endangered them, she was afraid to send her children to that stop for fear it might happen the next day! If she saw it again, she would call her dad! We of course, immediately got a hold of the driver, and he said he slowed way down, and the kids where under the little covered area. And the bus wasn't there, so no flashing lights or anything. Since this was the first (and only, to this day) complaint about his driving, we pretty much ignored it.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                        Some people are so vile. She obviously saw your vehicle, with the company name on it and the phone number, and your reg number and made up a pack of lies to try and get you into trouble. Why are people so cruel?
                        She was a scammer. Scammers don't care who they hurt.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                          Some people get their jollies off of making someone else's life miserable. If that includes getting them fired, so much the better.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            She was a scammer. Scammers don't care who they hurt.
                            Exactly. She saw what she thought was the perfect opportunity. With any luck, she'd get some money, and if she didn't, well it only cost her a few minutes of time.

Of course, it might have cost someone else their job; but that someone wouldn't be her, so that was all right.
                            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              She was a scammersociopath.
                              This also fits.
                              Or she could well have been some kind of shakedown scammer.
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X