This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a name

I'm getting back into writing and I have the main characters and their backstories worked out, it's just that I'm having trouble with one of the secondary characters. More specifically her last name I can't decide whether it should be Miller or Morris, so seeing as I'm stuck between the two I'll ask for help in choosing.
    Morris
    42.11%
    Miller
    57.89%

The poll is expired.

......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

Need her first name to get a feel for the full char name.

But that said, don't get hung up on it and let it derail your creative juices/work flow. Write first. Changing your mind on a char name later is just a Find > Replace away. I know its tempting ( god is it tempting ) to get embroiled in having everything Perfect The First Time(tm).

But writing never works out that way. >.>

Comment

It's Mary Alice although it's spelled Marialice, it's gonna be something like a cross between Game of Thrones and Tron (not stuck in a computer, just WAY highly technologicaly advanced and NO dragons). I'm writing down everything that pops into my head right now, if I need to expand on something later or get rid of something later I'll do that but I don't want to not write anything down.
      ......../\
      ....../__\
      ..../\...../\
      ../__\../__\

Comment

Definitely Miller with that first name. Marialice Morris is too rhyming for my liking and would need explanation....
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Agreed that Miller works better with that first name.

I love crafting names for characters, too, but oftentimes I'll come up with a better name for them later in the writing process. I enjoy meaningful names a lot of the time. But the names also have to flow pretty well, and "Marialice Morris" doesn't feel like it "flows" well. True, there's a sort of "rhyme" to it, but it would need explanation at some point in-verse, and that could disrupt the flow of the story.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

This is what she looks like, I used TekTek because it's fast and easy to put together something that's in my head. If she was to be played by an actress it would be Olivia Wilde, I don't know if that helps it any more but I figured it would be better to give more information.
            ......../\
            ....../__\
            ..../\...../\
            ../__\../__\

Comment

NOT Morris. I personally wouldn't use Miller, either, but it isn't my story.

Comment

Quoth Zellie Crescent View Post
                It's Mary Alice although it's spelled Marialice
                Hmmm. That's sort of one of those "No one pronounces it right on the first try" names, heh. Both options are going to be alliteration names though with the repeating M's. That said, Morris doesn't work ( Double "iss" sound ). Miller isn't that much better. You already have 4 syllables going on here in the first name alone. Adding an additional two makes for a bit of mouthful.

Honestly, with 4 syllables up front, the last name would have a better ring with only one syllable and preferable of a different and lower tone. Such as Marialice Moore if you want to keep the alliteration in the name. Going with a higher tone would sound a bit cartoony ( Marialice May for example ). If you still want two syllables on a longer last name though keep a lower tone like that ( Marialice Moorefield ).

Without alliteration, something with a hard consonant like K would add some strength to the full name.

Comment

Well it looks like the last name is going to be Miller, thank you guys for helping me. I was really stuck trying to decide between the two.
                  ......../\
                  ....../__\
                  ..../\...../\
                  ../__\../__\

Comment

Working...
                  X