This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle Problem

My car has trouble registering that it's in park. I have to do a lot of fiddling sometimes to try to get it to register that it's parked so that I can get my keys out of the ignition. It's been getting worse in the cold which sucks but it did still happen in the summer and the whole thing is overall getting slowly worse anyway. I know I need to take it in to a mechanic but last time I mentioned it to one, I got shrugged at or told there wasn't really anything they could do though he hadn't actually looked at that issue with the car and the blank half awake stare did not instill me with confidence so before I tried with a different mechanic, I was wondering if anyone else has had that problem and was able to get it fixed and what all they had to do, just so I have a general idea.
    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Sounds like your car has a linkage between the gear selector and the ignition switch that keeps the switch from turning all the way into the "removable" position unless the gear selector is in "Park". My guess is that the linkage is out of adjustment. Your model of car may have a reputation for being difficult to adjust this linkage - hence the mechanic's reaction.

How old is the car? I'd be tempted to, instead of getting the linkage adjusted, just have the "blocking" piece removed. It would defeat the "safety feature" of not being able to shut it down except in "Park", but it would be a permanent fix for the problem.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Found this link which might help. Not all cars use the cable though--some use electronic components.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I used to drive a 2006 Chevy HHR that had this problem. What it turned out to be was a defective switch in the shifter. Sometimes the plastic that held the switch would break and allow the switch to move enough that the safety system didn't know the car was in park. The only fix was to replace the entire shifter assembly. In most modern cars there is an safety override somewhere on the steering column (most likely under a small plastic panel.)

Comment

Depends on a lot of things. There's obviously a control switch that's not actuating properly. This switch may be in the steering column or at the transmission where the linkage goes into it. If it's in the steering column you may be better off replacing the entire column with a junkyard purchase.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            Sounds like your car has a linkage between the gear selector and the ignition switch that keeps the switch from turning all the way into the "removable" position unless the gear selector is in "Park". My guess is that the linkage is out of adjustment. Your model of car may have a reputation for being difficult to adjust this linkage - hence the mechanic's reaction.

How old is the car? I'd be tempted to, instead of getting the linkage adjusted, just have the "blocking" piece removed. It would defeat the "safety feature" of not being able to shut it down except in "Park", but it would be a permanent fix for the problem.
            I think Shangrilas Child has kids. If I'm recalling correctly, this is NOT a good idea. That feature was designed because so many kids were putting cars in drive without the keys and rolling them into the road or over other kids in the way.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Try this: take your make & model of car and go find a message board about people who own / are fans of this type of car (trust me there are boards for every type of vehicle). Search the board for this issue - it's guaranteed that someone has already had the exact same problem.

Then after you read what the fix is, go to YouTube and search for a tutorial on how to fix it.

I have been using this method to do all my auto work the last few years. I am even willing to do hardcore engine rebuilds because of the good step by step information from multiple sources that are available.

If you tell us you vehicle's make, model & year perhaps we can point you in the right direction.
              "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Quoth 2gigch1 View Post
                Try this: take your make & model of car and go find a message board about people who own / are fans of this type of car (trust me there are boards for every type of vehicle).

If you tell us you vehicle's make, model & year perhaps we can point you in the right direction.
                Let's see if there really are boards for EVERY type of vehicle - 1996 Hyundai Elantra station wagon.

ETA: Even though my car wasn't that popular to begin with, and isn't a cult classic, "My Hyundai Forums" has a section for the 2nd generation Elantra.

I ran into a problem yesterday - hard shifting, friction point down at the floor, clutch pedal was VERY light. Let's see if anyone can guess the other symptom - it's at my mechanic right now.
                Last edited by wolfie; 03-07-2015, 03:36 PM. Reason: Found more information
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

This Hyundai Board seems pretty busy with sub types including your car.

I didn't surf but that is an example of a start.

"1996 Elantra Clutch" on YouTube got 1,670 results, some of which may be useful.
                  "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Nissan Club Forums has been helpful with issues. I bought a 2005 Altima and from what I can tell, they experimented with different things on this car. Some for good, some for ill.

The worst was a stalling issue that pointed to an ECU issue, a problem that was on the NTSB recall list. I kept having problems even after the unit was reprogrammed and replaced. Ended up being the cam and crank shaft sensors. I kicked up such a fuss that the dealership gave me a 5 year extended warranty just to keep me happy.
                    Random conversation:
                    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                      I think Shangrilas Child has kids. If I'm recalling correctly, this is NOT a good idea. That feature was designed because so many kids were putting cars in drive without the keys and rolling them into the road or over other kids in the way.
                      No kids of my own, just an incredibly curious and liable to mess with things niece. However I also spent most of my driving years so far driving stick shift so using the parking break as a backup wouldn't be that much work for me to remember and she wouldn't be able to undo that.

Quoth 2gigch1 View Post
                      Then after you read what the fix is, go to YouTube and search for a tutorial on how to fix it.
                      Hadn't thought to try youtube, that's a very good idea! I've tried message boards before with no luck. You all have been amazingly helpful though because at the very least it's given me new terminology and phrasing to use in searches and I've been coming up with better results now. I have a 2006 Ford Escape.
                      "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
                      X