This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with job applications!

So I am currently on the hunt for a new job. At the moment, until my issues with the employment agency are sorted out (entirely bureaucratic red-tape stuff, which I am happy to explain if asked), I have been concentrating on government jobs. This includes public transport, among other things.

One of the roles is for admin work with the rail company (which is a government body). My partner and I were skimming the position descriptions so I could fill in the applications accordingly. Under "Health Assessment" they had written "Not a Rail safety worker."
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Quoth fireheart View Post
    One of the roles is for admin work with the rail company (which is a government body). My partner and I were skimming the position descriptions so I could fill in the applications accordingly. Under "Health Assessment" they had written "Not a Rail safety worker."
    Not as crazy as it sounds. Here in North America, the term used would be "Not a safety-sensitive position", meaning that if someone doing that job screws up it doesn't have the potential to injure/kill people.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

New one today!

I set up a profile on the government website so I would get sent job alerts if a potentially suitable job came up. One did and I did apply for it, but today I get another one.

The job? Head of curatorial and exhibition work regarding heritage houses or stuff like that.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
        The job? Head of curatorial and exhibition work regarding heritage houses or stuff like that.
        I gotten strange job referrals like that recently. I've got myself set up online for accountant/bookkeeper/admin positions with previous admin/filing experience. The typical office worker sort of things. The government employment center referred me to a job that involved doing triage and assisting with medical procedures. Fairly sure that's waaaaaay out of my range of experience.

Comment

Quoth Ternasthebard View Post
          I gotten strange job referrals like that recently. I've got myself set up online for accountant/bookkeeper/admin positions with previous admin/filing experience. The typical office worker sort of things. The government employment center referred me to a job that involved doing triage and assisting with medical procedures. Fairly sure that's waaaaaay out of my range of experience.
          This is the state government website for people who want jobs in the public sector. My previous round of jobs is in childcare, but I am trying to switch over to office work and have been arguing that accordingly. I speculate that the reason why I've been getting said weird referrals (I got ANOTHER one today!) is that one of my degrees is an Arts degree and they've been taking the term "arts" literally rather than figuratively.

Comment

Ah, I was assuming that would be the case with the government website. It's about the same over here where you can sign up to be alerted to/referred to the various jobs that pop up in a certain area that matches your expertise and skills. That's why I found the one they sent to me so strange in the fact that they referred it to me despite the large amount of the description involving medical knowledge and procedures used to triage patients and such despite there being absolutely nothing on my resume/skills list for that.

I suppose that it's just entertaining to me that things are the same strange all over.
            Last edited by Ternasthebard; 03-02-2015, 03:45 AM. Reason: Edited for additional clarification

Comment

I used to get childcare ones when I do admin and accounts... Why? Because one of my roles included Reception duties.
              I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                I used to get childcare ones when I do admin and accounts... Why? Because one of my roles included Reception duties.
                I wonder if I should've put that on my resume. It might work the other way around!

(for those who are unfamiliar, "Reception" in relation to schools is what most of you folks call "Kindergarten" "Preps" "Pre-Primary" etc.)

Comment

Working...
                X