Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work at the cent department store, so don't sell booze or cigs. Policy is that if someone uses a credit card for a purchase of over $50 we are to ask for ID. I've never had anyone get upset about that, often they thank me. Once of my co-workers gets yelled at about it on a regular basis. I don't get it, she is always polite about it. Maybe its because she is so young?

Once my Dad and I were driving through New Mexico and stopped at a motel. Next stop was to pick up some cigs and beer for me and fruit juice for Dad. I got carded. I know I gave the cashier a WTF look because I know I look much older than 25, because I am much older than 25. She told me that the law required that they card EVERYONE! I showed her my ID for the cigs and put the beer back in the cooler.

Then I went out to the truck, lit a cigarette and told my almost 70 year old father that I had forgotten the beer, could he go get it for me because I had just lit up. He came out with a BIG smile on his face and maybe if he could dance, he would have been

Comment

My favorite ID story is the time I was nearly an SC. My youngest son is disabled, and as such has a handicapped parking permit. State law requires that permit holders have state ID, so he has one and I keep it in my wallet right behind my own license. Generally, when I get carded, I just hold my wallet up, since the window is nice and clear and it's easier to do that than to dig it out (it's a little tricky to get out.) Anyway, apparently I had my license out at some point, and when I put it back, it went behind my son's ID instead of in front of it.

So, the cashier asked for my ID and in my exhausted haze, I just opened my wallet and showed it to her. She said something to the effect of "ummmmmm, that's not your ID", and I was about to get mad and go all SC, but at the last second I flipped my wallet around and saw that the kid's ID was showing. I got all embarrassed and pulled my own ID out, and we all got a good laugh about it.

So, for future reference, you can't buy age restricted items with your 12 year old kid's ID, even if it is state issued.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Whenever people do that to me, I always ask nicely if I can feel behind the card. Why? Well, a friend of mine who works behind a bar told me that once a girl tried to get served by flashing a purse with an ID showing thru a plastic window. My friend couldn't see it properly as the girl kept flashing it, and eventually she stuck out a hand, stopped the purse's progress thru the air and put her fingers behind the ID. It was made of paper. Yes, it was a photocopy.

The same friend once had to confiscate a driving license off a teenage boy who'd nicked his sister's ID to try and get served at the bar. He obviously believed that no-one bothers to look at ID closely. My friend looked, saw that the face on the driving license was of a girl and the person trying to use it for ID was a boy and confiscated it, telling the boy that his sister could come to the bar and claim her driving license any time as long as she brought along her passport. How did my friend know it was his sister? By his heart felt cry of "My sister's gonna kill me!" XD
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Oh, I have absolutely no problem fishing it out if I'm asked, and I keep my wallet still so the clerk can get a good look if they don't ask for me to fish it out. It's just really difficult to get it out, and a few times I've had a clerk joke around that they now see why I didn't want to pull it out. For whatever reason, the plastic on that part is really sticky. I really don't look like I'm under 30, so most of the time they're just asking as a matter of policy and only taking a quick peek anyway.

Oddly, in recent years it's become a problem to have my kids with me when I purchase age restricted items. I get the whole "everybody in a group needs to be of age", line of thought, but it's really, really irritating to have to make a separate trip to the grocery store to buy wine or beer just because I have my teenagers with me during my normal shopping trip. I'm never going to bitch directly to the cashier, but boy do I hate the policy when it's applied like that.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
            The same friend once had to confiscate a driving license off a teenage boy who'd nicked his sister's ID to try and get served at the bar. He obviously believed that no-one bothers to look at ID closely.
            Kid was a moron. Don't know what English law is on the subject (i.e. if they're a protected class), but if he'd had the balls he'd have LOUDLY accused your friend of discriminating against F-to-M transsexuals.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Kid was a moron. Don't know what English law is on the subject (i.e. if they're a protected class), but if he'd had the balls he'd have LOUDLY accused your friend of discriminating against F-to-M transsexuals.
              Probably wouldn't have worked, given that one of the locals of that bar was a male to female trans. XD I went there a couple of times to see my friend, and said local was so beautiful, I wouldn't have known she was born with a male body just by looking. I would have bet she would have had something to say had the kid tried to pull that card.

And then I would be cursing the fact that I didn't have it on film. XD
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

I was in a shop today listening to one cashier explaining that you can alter the DOB on a driving licence with a very fine tipped brush, but don't try it with a passport, you need to change it in two places. I did ask my mother what happened to turning up early before they started ID'ing people?

I don't think the employees heard me (I didn't intend for them to hear either) but I'm still curious.
                "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  Ya gotta cook yer heroin...
                  I thought that was meth . . .

As for the ID thing, it's been quite a few years since I've been asked. I guess my gray is showing more these days.

*makes note on phone reminders app to get hair appointment ASAP*
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The last two times I got ID'd wasn't for booze or anything, it was for buying seasons 4 & 5 of Trueblood.

It is rated R18+ in Oz and both times, about 12 months apart, I got asked for ID. Since I was 27 and 28 when it happened, I was just happy that someone thought I might be too young, like 10 years too young. Still makes me giggle though.
                    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

I got carded on my 50th birthday. Totally made my day!

Comment

I was horrified when I was buying beer and didn't get carded. I'm 30 but still... It's upsetting. I took my Id out and the girl who looked like she was under 21 barely looked at me and said "I don't need it." OUCH!

I LOVE being carded.

Comment

Two of my uncles are half-brothers about 10-15 years apart in age. One time, they went to buy alcohol and each had his own purchase. Older uncle got carded, younger one didn't.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I have an aunt who was carded 'til she was 40. I can recall a story some of my hall mates told back in the '80's: It seems some liquor stores will card regardless of the item and they had to produce an ID for some soda and salty snacks.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                            X