This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it so strange?

I have a new job starting next Monday. I gave my notice at my old job, told them I would work until Friday. I came in today and everyone is asking me what I'm doing here since I "quit". I keep telling them that I'm working out my 2 weeks. They all just get this confused look on their faces and ask me why. Is it really so strange for someone to work out their notice now? I have always given one, and then if they want me to stay on until the end of the 2 weeks, I do. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this when leaving a job.
    You can't take the sky from me...

When I left my first call center job I worked through my two week's notice, and that left everybody really confused for some reason. Up until that point most people would have given their notice, sure, but then not bother showing up for most of that time. My work ethic would usually not let me do something like that. But then I'm also the one who quit my Subway job on a Saturday without notice to start another job on the very next Monday...but that was a rare situation.

Comment

At a part-time, no-contract job, especially in foodservice (dunno if that's what you were doing), it is exceptionally rare these days -- Even in the early 90's, I found that most non-managers who quit a job did so by simply NCNSing for a few days. Good on you for actually doing it! ^_^
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

We had a girl come back after leaving 6 months earlier trying to get her job back. She was denied because she did not give notice, just came in one day and said she got another job and quit. I know it seems like retail and service positions are a dime a dozen, but those walk offs can bite people in the ass.

Comment

Quoth mlmama View Post
          Is it really so strange for someone to work out their notice now?
          Apparently...of course they give a lot less notice when your terminated
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

The one time I did it was because I never intend to go back there. Not after how I got jerked around by head office. It really sucks to be managing a store complete with all the headaches involved but not being properly paid for it because I was not 'properly trained yet' - despite them making all sorts of promises to me to get that so-called proper training completed and then turning around and breaking every single one of those promises. The final straw was when the DM lied through her teeth to me in front of one of my employees. I made plans right then that I was leaving, screw the notice, and set about finding another job.

Comment

Quoth registerrodeo View Post
              We had a girl come back after leaving 6 months earlier trying to get her job back. She was denied because she did not give notice, just came in one day and said she got another job and quit. I know it seems like retail and service positions are a dime a dozen, but those walk offs can bite people in the ass.
              We had this, except she got her job back. One day she called saying she had gotten into some classes in another state, so she'd be gone for the whole quarter. Manager was like, "so you're not going to make the shifts you're already scheduled for?" And she replied snottily, "I'm in California!" Then when the quarter ended, here she is again.

It's split pretty evenly at my work, those who give notice, and those who just stop showing up. It used to be much more rare for people to just NCNS, but things have changed, and New Manager is pretty much the source of the bad vibes.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

When I gave my notice at the wholesale club, it was during the holiday season. But since my new job didn't start until the new year, I told them, "I can work through New Year's, but then I'm done."

They greatly appreciated having me-- one of their most reliable, effective, and personable cashiers-- around for the busiest time of the year.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                  The one time I did it was because I never intend to go back there. Not after how I got jerked around by head office. It really sucks to be managing a store complete with all the headaches involved but not being properly paid for it because I was not 'properly trained yet' - despite them making all sorts of promises to me to get that so-called proper training completed and then turning around and breaking every single one of those promises. The final straw was when the DM lied through her teeth to me in front of one of my employees. I made plans right then that I was leaving, screw the notice, and set about finding another job.
                  Mine was a copy of this. Boss got me to turn down another offer with a series of promises - none of which he kept. I finally called in sick, then went out and got a job the very next day. Walked in later that day, gave them my keys and 'notice'. Basically it was "don't let the door hit you on the way out." Good riddance!

Comment

I really thought they would tell me to just go ahead and go, but it turns out that the girl back from maternity leave is still just as lazy as before. Not only that, she's now crafting bows for her baby while on the clock. Granted, we have a lot of down time, but still, she could be counting inventory and learning where things are that she still doesn't know after being here almost 2 years.
                    My supervisor is trying to figure out how to keep me. I jokingly told him, "For $2 more and Monday-Friday, I'll stay!" He actually called his supervisor and told him. HIS supervisor said, "We can do Mon-Fri daytime, but you'd have to take $1 pay cut and we have to offer it to Lazy first because she has seniority." Uh, you're supposed to make a BETTER offer for me to stay, not worse! LOL

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    At a part-time, no-contract job, especially in foodservice (dunno if that's what you were doing), it is exceptionally rare these days -- Even in the early 90's, I found that most non-managers who quit a job did so by simply NCNSing for a few days. Good on you for actually doing it! ^_^
                    I work in the parts department of a diesel shop. Very easy work, but overnights and weekends so it's hard to find someone to work the shift.
                    Last edited by EricKei; 03-13-2015, 12:10 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
                    You can't take the sky from me...

Comment

Over here it's a mixed bag.

You see, we have a sort of "flexicurity" rules (determined by labor laws) that give a whole lotta notice (from 14 days up til 9 months, depending on seniority, if you are let go - max. 1 month if you are resigning yourself) and it is handled mostly in 4 different ways:

1) Employee quits/is fired, works through notice period, all is fine and dandy.
                      2) Employee quits/is fired, employer doesn't want employee around so employer agrees to pay salary until employee gets a new job, though max. until the notice period expires
                      3) Employee is fired, gets pissed off, calls in sick and gets a doctor's note stating that employee can't work through the notice period. (Employer gets some of the pay refunded through healthcare, though.)
                      4) Empolyee quits/is fired, agrees to work through notice period but calls off sick nilly-willy, and has a lousy work ethic - "cuz what are they gonna do, fire me again?!"
                      Last edited by NorthernZel; 03-13-2015, 12:21 AM.
                      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                        Over here it's a mixed bag.

You see, we have a sort of "flexicurity" rules (determined by labor laws) that give a whole lotta notice (from 14 days up til 9 months, depending on seniority, if you are let go - max. 1 month if you are resigning yourself) and it is handled mostly in 4 different ways:

1) Employee quits/is fired, works through notice period, all is fine and dandy.
                        2) Employee quits/is fired, employer doesn't want employee around so employer agrees to pay salary until employee gets a new job, though max. until the notice period expires
                        3) Employee is fired, gets pissed off, calls in sick and gets a doctor's note stating that employee can't work through the notice period. (Employer gets some of the pay refunded through healthcare, though.)
                        4) Empolyee quits/is fired, agrees to work through notice period but calls off sick nilly-willy, and has a lousy work ethic - "cuz what are they gonna do, fire me again?!"
                        I can relate to #4 on that list.....one of my co-workers at Macy's did that when she got another job. (from what I remember, though, she just called in sick the last two weeks)

Comment

Working...
                        X