This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviewing for Disability In Kid Lit

On Tumblr, I follow the blog for this group called Disability in Kid Lit. They read and review young adult and middle-grade books that prominently feature characters with various disabilities. I happened to mention to them, as a response to a question they'd asked of their followers, that I'd never read or even heard of any books with characters who have spina bifida.

Within an hour of sending them this response, I was contacted by one of the group's members- Corinne Duyvis. As it turned out, she was writing a short story for an anthology and her main character had SB. She asked if I would be interested in reading it and giving feedback about accuracy of the portrayal and the character's having to deal with having SB. My answer was not only 'yes', but 'hell yes'. So I read the story (in about 20 minutes because it was really good), gave my feedback, and that was awesome enough for me because I've never been asked to do something like this before.

Fastforward to last week, though, I get another e-mail from her. This time, the group had found a book series where one of the characters has SB and, again, wanted to know if I'd be interested in reading and reviewing. Again, my answer was 'hell yes'. They were even kind enough to buy the books for me and ship them to my house.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

That's awesome!

Comment

Looks like you are now the group's resident SB expert!
      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
      X