This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule is minor, but enforced.

I started this post to crow in triumph that a relatively minor law was being enforced. Someone had parked their van so that the tail end was blocking the sidewalk. This is a very heavily walked area, so it only mildly surprises me that someone called it in.

However after a while a tow truck appears... A while ago I commented that my city has a law that if you use street parking (this is all free parking, no meters but I believe it applies to the metered parking as well) you are supposed to move your car every day. Weeeeelll, I guess someone got tired of staring at this car in front of their house every day, and called it in. To be fair, I don't know when the last time the car was moved. We are creatures of habit, so the vast majority of cars on my block park in the same spot, day in, day out. I'm gone a lot, so I don't notice. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it belongs to someone in my building, so I figure I'd save them a bit of money if they are home and could pay the drop fee.

Turns out it was a friend (?) of an upstairs neighbor and she went out to the car. After some discussion, and another person (maybe the friend?) driving up to join said discussion, the car is towed. Lesson learned, folks. This city is not messing around on parking violations! I guess I should be happy that I've been busy enough that my car is gone 6 out of 7 days in the week.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

The neighborhood where I work is like that. Most of it is first-come, first-serve. However, there are some residents that have cars...that never move. Some of these heaps have been sitting so long, they've taken up root. Flat tires, lapsed inspections/registrations, are all pretty common. As far as I know (since I maintain my cars and don't drive a shitbox), the borough gives you a warning and a couple of days to get it taken care of. Otherwise, the big orange sticker (which is a bitch to remove, from what I'm told) goes on the windshield, and the heap gets impounded.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Those orange "remove by order of PD" stickers are humongously big, eye-stingingly bright and devilishly designed so that they come apart when you try to remove them and only break off tiny bit by tiny bit, the only way to effectively get rid of them is with a razor blade and patience.

And that's deliberate, so the lucky tow-ee can't complain they didn't see it, and it must've "fallen off" so they never got their fair warning...
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

There is an SUV parked blocking the sidewalk at the same house as in my OP. Normally I wouldn't get too irritated, but now I know for a fact that that homeowner was warned, and they are doing it again. I think it's someone doing their yard work for them. So I guess they are a member of the popular "but it was only for a little while!" club which Arga knows so well.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

My new neighborhood (with private streets) has a strictly-enforced rule: no on-street parking from midnight to 6 AM. None at all. There's a tow truck waiting at the neighborhood entrance at 11:55 PM every night. He never leaves empty.
          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
          X