This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minor bus sighting

*I could be reading more into this than there actually was, but it was hard not to take it personally*

I had to take the bus to Target this morning to pick up a prescription, and when I got on the bus, I sat on one of the bench seats.......not sure if I'm describing it correctly, but it's the area where wheelchairs would go, so there's three seats facing the aisle.

There was a woman sitting on the first part of the bench seat, and when I sat at the other end, she had a frowny look on her face. A few seconds later, she made a waving motion with her hand as if she smelled something bad, and immediately moved to another seat.

No idea what this woman's problem was, but I do have good hygiene, and it's not like I roll my clothes around in our catboxes or anything.

She probably farted and wanted to make you think she didn't do it.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
      That or maybe someone on the bus was wearing enough cheap perfume/cologne to suffocate a small country? Some folks are bothered by strong smells (they have a more acute sense of smell than others, I guess) and that could be another explanation.

Other than that, I'm at a loss.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

OK, not to be rude, but....do you smoke? A lot of times I've had to move because someone got on the bus or train and the smell of cigs wafted on along with them. It doesn't even have to be that strong, I just can't stand it anymore. But I don't make a big deal out of it, I just move quietly.

If you're not a smoker, then I have no clue what her problem was. Still think she didn't have to do the hand-wave thing anyway.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
          Or the bus driver made a silent but deadly one. I had that happen to me and my children and we did that and moved as someone got on and the person got upset, until she moved into our seats and smelled it for herself. (to the bus driver's defense he did open his window in freezing temperatures to try and get the smell out himself.)

Comment

Yeah, my first thought was "Ding, ding, Smoker". I don't think I've ever made a face but I'm asthmatic and severely triggered by even the slightest whiff of cigarette smoke. Smoker sits next to me, I can tell, I have to move.

Except this morning when the only black person on the bus sat down next to me (I'm white) smelling of soap, cologne...and, sigh, cig smoke. I knew he had good hygiene because I could smell the good stuff over the bad, but it was still there and it was still a trigger. I would have moved in another circumstance, but I'd taken both inhalers just before boarding and figured it would probably be too hurtful in this case to change seats as per usual. So I stayed, although turned my body so I could doze facing away from him. Any other day though, yep, new seat. I don't care how much you wash - you smoke, I can still smell it.

Edit: Not assuming you are a smoker but like a previous poster said, the only theory I could come up with was someone with a fragrance allergy or someone with a good nose and sensitivity to cigarette smoke. Or I suppose she could just be rude. Sorry she made a face.

Comment

I don't smoke, but it's possible that this woman had a fragrance allergy......I do use scented lotions and wear perfume. (I try not to go overboard with either, though)

And it's entirely possibly that this woman's actions had nothing to do with me personally, just really felt that way.

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                I don't smoke, but it's possible that this woman had a fragrance allergy......I do use scented lotions and wear perfume. (I try not to go overboard with either, though)

And it's entirely possibly that this woman's actions had nothing to do with me personally, just really felt that way.
                Well, that's true. Who knows, maybe she thinks she's allergic to whatever color you were wearing that day!
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm betting on the "blaming someone else for the fart" explination.
                  "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
                  X