This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman at the doctor's office

So waiting at the doc after a rough bus-ride with my chronic pain suffering, wheelchair bound husband, there's a grown-ass woman (easily in her 40s, maybe 50s) in the waiting room watching some kind of video on her phone.

She has the volume turned up to max, and no headphones of course. This is odd enough behavior for someone over 18, but the video itself sounds like a chipmunk singing happy birthday. I'm hoping it was something her 6 year old grandkid sent her, but at least she turned the damn thing off when I said "could you please turn that down?" (I've made it a personal goal to be more assertive without being rude).
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Good grief. I don't watch videos in public without headphones. It's annoying and distracting to others. People's whole worlds have become little screens.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Ugh, imagine it with a full blown migraine! I sat across the waiting room from this one teen who had their phone blasting as though they wanted the whole of Arkansas and possibly part of Texas to hear the crappy music they were listening to. I wanted to claw my ears off, douse them with lighter fluid and set fire to them. But first I wanted to do that to the idiot. Fortunately, I got called before I could do anything drastic. I did tell the nurse about it and when I got back out, the idiot had his headphones on.

Yeah, the whole time, he had his headphones and didn't want to use them. Ugggggrrrrrhhhhh
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

LN, from this thread, would often do that sort of thing....'til GM and FO finally canned him
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I don't get that. Speakers on phones suck. Music sounds better with headphones.
          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Happens in the break room at work, on the bus/train, etc.

Totally rude, forcing everyone around you to hear YOUR choice of noise whether they want to or not.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
              Happens in the break room at work, on the bus/train, etc.

Totally rude, forcing everyone around you to hear YOUR choice of noise whether they want to or not.
              This happens to be how I feel about perfumes/scents. Of course I know people like their scents, but maybe I don't like being stuck smelling it? After a while I get a headache, too.

A lady in my program at school will often put on this amazingly strongly scented hand lotion. It smells like coconut, which I actually like at first but jeez is it strong!
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

The worst time that happened to me it was Glee! and the girl had obviously seen the episode many times before because she was saying the lines along with them...I almost poked pens in my ear to destroy my ear drums just so I wouldn't have to listen to her attempt to sing.

Comment

Quoth justhere View Post
                  The worst time that happened to me it was Glee! and the girl had obviously seen the episode many times before because she was saying the lines along with them...I almost poked pens in my ear to destroy my ear drums just so I wouldn't have to listen to her attempt to sing.
                  I kind of wanted to do that at work the other day - I was shelving in the children's area, this girl was watching music videos on one of the computers. She had headphones on, but was singing along, and let's just say she was VERY off-key.

Comment

Most people sing off key when singing with headphones. You couldn't ask a kid to be quiet in a LIBRARY of all places? Isn't shushing people part of the stereoptypical librarian's job?

Comment

*snicker* We went to our annual podiatrist diabetic foot health appointment yesterday, and we always get the last 2 appointments of the day, so the office is generally empty except for staff. The receptionist is an old aquaintence of ours, and does the local community theater. Apparently they are planning on doing Jesus Christ Superstar because she had the London Cast Album version on the sound system. Enough so that everybody was walking around singing along.

What can you do <shrug> since it is one of our favorites, Rob and I had to join in the sing-along =)
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                        I don't get that. Speakers on phones suck. Music sounds better with headphones.
                        Also, the speaker uses a *lot* more power than the headphones. So you run down your battery a lot faster.

Comment

Working...
                        X