This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A volunteer activity I have started doing

While I lived in TX I would work in a food pantry.
    I didn't do any volunteering in HI...
    Here in L.A. there's a group that makes burritos, then goes bike riding in Skid Row to distribute them to the homeless. That's something I can get behind. I just help with the making of the burritos, but it's something good right?

Also I was talking to my BFF about this activity and she told me how she took some food to people who distribute it to homeless in her area. She also had a case of bottled water in her trunk with the food and they were like "We could really use this! Thanks!" She was thinking in her head "I hadn't intended it for you, but what the hell it's $5 to replace."

Sounds good to me =)

I adopt guys deployed, I send 'care packages' of stuff like zip lok baggies, individually packaged neutral eye drops, pocket packs of kleenex and wet wipes, random books and some junk food. [If I personally know the guy I can customize but most people will break open packages and swap with buddies so it will eventually all get passed around. One package was candy and beanie babies that got given out to the local kids.]
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
      While I lived in TX I would work in a food pantry.
      I didn't do any volunteering in HI...
      Here in L.A. there's a group that makes burritos, then goes bike riding in Skid Row to distribute them to the homeless. That's something I can get behind. I just help with the making of the burritos, but it's something good right?
      Watch out. Some cities have passed laws making it *illegal* to give food to the homeless. With huge fines (like $2000!)

The "logic" is that it'll make the homeless go away. Grrrr.

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
        Watch out. Some cities have passed laws making it *illegal* to give food to the homeless. With huge fines (like $2000!)

The "logic" is that it'll make the homeless go away. Grrrr.
        Flawed logic. It won't happen.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
        X