This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Actually Does Work...eventually

Remember as a kid trying to get orange seeds to sprout? I can't be the only one to try that. I tried and tried and tried, with wrapping them in a moist paper towel in a plastic bag and directly planting some. Well, after 40-mumble years, it finally worked! I have an orange tree seedling. It's currently about 2 inches tall and is working on its first set of true leaves.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Woot! Rob started a Myers lemon seed, the treelet is now about 18 inches tall =) I never knew lemon trees had *spikes*
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Boy does it ever work. I'm now up to six baby orange trees, from three different seeds that I stuck into the original pot. They've been separated into three different pots, if they all survive when they get bigger each will have its own.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Nice.

I tried for years, but, no matter how many I planted, I couldn't get those seeds on the top of the hamburger bun to sprout new hamburgers.....
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          ... I couldn't get those seeds on the top of the hamburger bun to sprout new hamburgers.....
          Use the Ali Baba secret words... "Open Sesame!"
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Open.... sasparilla?

Open.... saddle soap?

Open.... Saskatchewan?
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Use the Ali Baba secret words... "Open Sesame!"
              Open ... says me!
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I was told that citrus trees grown from seeds will never bear fruit. I don't remember why but I do remember being told that. I wish we could grow citrus around here but the weather won't allow it. I've tried in a green house without any luck.
                Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

From Texas A&M AgriLife Extension:
                  ...citrus seed have the unusual characteristic of producing nucellar seedlings which are vegetative (identical to the mother-tree) rather than genetic in origin. From each seed planted, three sprouts can emerge. Two will be fast growing sprouts which are vegetative in nature and will produce a tree exactly like the one from which the fruit was obtained. The center, weak sprout, if it emerges, is the genetic or different-than-its-parent growth which should be removed.
                  So, I'm up to seven baby trees, three each from two of the seeds and just one from one. If this is correct, then at least 4 of my seedlings are essentially clones of the plant that produced the fruit.

Tanasi, I'd guess it would be because it takes something like seven years for a citrus tree grown from seed to mature enough to bear fruit plus the trees being somewhat picky about their environment.

Comment

Working...
                  X